The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What Are You Drinking?
Old 29th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
PBR seems like a sensible alternative to urotherapy. Gandhi and Lyoto Machida would approve.
Like a cleanse, only better. Because I can slowly and absent-mindedly peel the wet label off with my fingernail while I'm listening to my friend drone on about whatever the fvck. The game is to keep the label in one piece, and to not drain the bottle until the label is completely off. For maximum time-killing-per-beer.
Old 29th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
There can be, and there be. Including all that Bud/Miller swill. When I was growing up and even in college there were no "microbrews"- if you wanted a "good" beer you bought imported. Unfortunately no good beer came in kegs so those parties mandated bad beer - not that anyone cared in college
So Bud and Miller and the Like are beers you don't drink - but they aren't bad beers - as about 120 million Americans buy the beers all the time.

I remember when Löwenbräu was consdiered one of the 'good' beers. Tonight it's Löwenbräu. It was decent until Miller bought them - don't know if you are old enough to remember but Miller nearly killed Löwenbräu by brewing it here in America - with American recipes - even though they said the beer adhered to German Reinheitsgebot standards. Kind of funny when you think about it - those were the years of American Corporate hubris overshadowing everything.
Old 29th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate View Post
I remember when Löwenbräu was consdiered one of the 'good' beers. Tonight it's Löwenbräu. It was decent until Miller bought them - don't know if you are old enough to remember but Miller nearly killed Löwenbräu by brewing it here in America - with American recipes - even though they said the beer adhered to German Reinheitsgebot standards. Kind of funny when you think about it - those were the years of American Corporate hubris overshadowing everything.
"Here's to good friends, tonight is kind of special."

Yeah that's right, tonight's so special we're gonna drink some shiity beer, though it seems classy because it's got a German name.

That might have been the beginning of the "Grey Pouponization" of the American palette, that along with Yoplait.
Old 29th December 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
So Bud and Miller and the Like are beers you don't drink - but they aren't bad beers - as about 120 million Americans buy the beers all the time.
You're not seriously equating popularity with quality-?

Anyway you're certainly entitled to your opinion.
Old 29th December 2019
Lives for gear

Lucozade original, although it has lost something from not being in a glass bottle covered in an amber cellophane wrap, and only available from the chemist.....why must they spoil EVERYTHING?
Old 30th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
That might have been the beginning of the "Grey Pouponization" of the American palette, that along with Yoplait.
The Grey Pouponization! Classically Funny!
Old 30th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're not seriously equating popularity with quality
I'm equating numbers with taste - as in all taste is subjective and by definition can not be labeled 'bad' or 'awful'. So you not liking those beers is fine - but 120 million others disagree with you. Doesn't mean you are right or they are wrong - it's just subjective.

I for one am not a huge fan of the IPA/Sour craze that is taking over. But that doesn't mean those styles of beer are bad by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 30th December 2019
Lives for gear
Old 30th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
I for one am not a huge fan of the IPA/Sour craze that is taking over.
I wouldn't mind if they didn't crowd out the handles of beers I like more. And IPA's are sort of the Gin and Tonic of beer -- they make a lot more sense in hot weather. Here in LA everyone gets all wussed out if it's below 65° F and they have to wear socks, while all the IPA gets ordered by the Brits on holiday running around sunburnt and mostly naked.
Old 30th December 2019
My house is slowly becoming a rum house between my wife's taste for the sweetness and my Puerto Rican boss constantly gifting me rum concoctions. Saturday was all about coquito and this stuff:

I'm a sucker for anything Texas-brewed/distilled. On its own, it's very harsh, but my god is this a good mixer. The nuttiness mixed with cola is an awesome combination.
Old 30th December 2019
Quote:
That sounds good, and lethal.

Soju in general is dangerous because it's so easy to knock down, especially paired with Korean food or sashimi, but the 'bite' comes more from the inherent sweetness than the alcohol content, at least for me. I tend to like my spirits and wine on the dry side.

Also, soju gives me the worst hangovers, which I assume comes from inferior ingredients and impurities from the distillation process. The Emperor sounds like a couple of steps up.
Oh yeah, Soju hangover is no joke...
Emperor was good stuff. Finished it last night while working on my studio rebuild. Better go back and check my work later
Old 1st January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'm equating numbers with taste - as in all taste is subjective
You said " they aren't bad beers - as about 120 million Americans buy the beers all the time." That clearly implies "it's popular, so it must be good. If instead you're simply saying taste is subjective, yes, that's generally true, but also has nothing to do with numbers or popularity. Further, at some point you get to a conclusion that goes beyond simple subjectivity and a rather obvious truth beyond any reasonable doubt. As an extreme ex. to illustrate my point, if it became popular to listen to the sound of someone vomiting and was considered "great music," you could say "well it's subjective, so maybe it is great music." No. It isn't. It never will be. It's not music at all, let alone good. That's not an opinion, it's a fact, and anyone who thinks otherwise knows nothing about music. Again an extreme and rather silly example, but the principle is the same. That be applied to low-quality beer as well, but again you're free to disagree, not into going round and round on this any further.

Quote:
I for one am not a huge fan of the IPA/Sour craze that is taking over.
Me either, and it's precisely because it is a craze. There are way too many sheeple out there who will latch onto something and like (or convince themselves/others they like) precisely because it's popular. I liked IPAs long before they became trendy, but I couldn't drink them all the time and type of beer has nothing to do with quality. I've tasted some lousy IPAs.
Old 2nd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
You said " they aren't bad beers - as about 120 million Americans buy the beers all the time." That clearly implies "it's popular, so it must be good.
Nope. That’s saying that 120 million like it so saying it’s bad is irrelevant.

Quote:
As an extreme ex. to illustrate my point, if it became popular to listen to the sound of someone vomiting and was considered "great music," you could say "well it's subjective, so maybe it is great music." No. It isn't. It never will be. It's not music at all, let alone good. That's not an opinion, it's a fact
Nope again. What is music is completely subjective - and there are no facts in subjectivity. Music is if anything sound. And anything that creates sound and has some kind of construction is music.

Quote:
Me either, and it's precisely because it is a craze. There are way too many sheeple out there who will latch onto something.
I have to disagree - it’s just not important to a lot of folks - and they aren’t sheeple because they don’t want to invest their time Thinking about inconsequential minutia as to the beer to drink.
Old 2nd January 2020
Lives for gear

Only normal drinks of regular beverage orange/grapefruit juice , milk , vla , water and coffee
Old 2nd January 2020
New Year's Eve, I made a large glass of the perfect rum & coke just to accidentally knock it over and spill it all after two sips. So I guess that sets the tone for 2020.
Old 2nd January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Nope again. What is music is completely subjective - and there are no facts in subjectivity. Music is if anything sound. And anything that creates sound and has some kind of construction is music.
Old 6th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
My boss has been making a Puerto Rican eggnog called 'coquito' that consists of heavy amounts of coconut and rum. I'm not a liqueur kinda guy normally, but it tastes like candy.
Here is S Florida friends you haven’t heard from in a year reach out at holiday time if you have ‘coquito’ skills.
Just finished a jug of ‘sorrel’ ..a Jamaican holiday beverage made from hibiscus flowers..ginger and rum
Old 6th January 2020
Lives for gear

I am drinking ready made canned gin tonic and Grolsch
Old 6th January 2020
Lives for gear

Drinking a glass of Duvel at the moment, and after that, there's a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter cask staring at me...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Guinness' "Extra Stout." Regular Guinness is like cloudy water but this is at least a real beer, good overall stout (it's not as heavy as the name implies).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Guinness' "Extra Stout." Regular Guinness is like cloudy water but this is at least a real beer, good overall stout (it's not as heavy as the name implies).
I prefer the Guinness Draught Cans with the nitrogen canister inside, poured into a pint glass. I find the Extra Stout a tad bitter in comparison.

The draught is so smooth and creamy, it's almost too easy to knock down.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Don't get those here. But from what I hear the stuff they sell in the states is nothing like what they sell overseas. Here "regular" Guinness is as weak as Miller Lite.
Old 4 weeks ago
Rum & Coke with that pecan rum again. Need a little mind numbing while I read a bunch of nonsense.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

had lots of San Cosme Mezcal last night. Started with lots Moskovskaya and some mango-maracuja juice.
Not sure why I switched. The Mezcal tasted awful. But I had to refill again and again.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Vodka. It goes with everything.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
But what do you eat after you drink?

My favorite:

Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
But what do you eat after you drink?
Water. Nothing but water. I've made it decades without a hangover, and I'm not about to start having them now.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Gorbatschow (a mediocre local vodka brand) with mango juce and tap water.

Aparently I am not a snob.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by memristor View Post
Gorbatschow (a mediocre local vodka brand) with mango juce and tap water.

Aparently I am not a snob.
You are unless you drink it neat.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I shouldn't confess this in public but I am actually drinking this from a coffee mug-

Even though for some reasons it tastes better from a glass.

But what's more important than material is the thickness of wall of the cup/glass.

My first English teacher tought us that it makes a difference, and it really does. I wonder why. Why that is and why he tought us the strangest things.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search