The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chess players?
Old 20th March 2019
  #61
Lives for gear
 
FreshProduce's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
I can't really get into chess online, at least no more than playing a chess computer game. I want a real person, a real board.
My feelings exactly.

That's precisely why I use online chess as a means to experiment.
Old 20th March 2019
  #62
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
I can't really get into chess online, at least no more than playing a chess computer game. I want a real person, a real board.
It is a real person online. You can tell the difference than with a computer.

Advantages: you can play fast games not that slow dull crap at tournaments; no travel needed; games within minutes if not seconds;
rated or casual your choice; FREE; yada yada.
Old 20th March 2019
  #63
Lives for gear
 
FreshProduce's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe sixpak View Post
It is a real person online. You can tell the difference than with a computer.

Advantages: you can play fast games not that slow dull crap at tournaments; no travel needed; games within minutes if not seconds;
rated or casual your choice; FREE; yada yada.
All of those 'advantages' as you put it, do not amount to the intimate experience of sitting down with another human being and playing a game of chess.

As Roy mentioned, online chess is an extremely cold and lifeless experience. I've gotten mild adrenaline rushes from a great game of chess in person. I've never experienced anything remotely close to that online.
Old 20th March 2019
  #64
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshProduce View Post
All of those 'advantages' as you put it, do not amount to the intimate experience of sitting down with another human being and playing a game of chess.

As Roy mentioned, online chess is an extremely cold and lifeless experience. I've gotten mild adrenaline rushes from a great game of chess in person. I've never experienced anything remotely close to that online.
I spent a few years , or rather misspent, as a very serious chess player entering many tournaments. And I visited the club every week to play.

I can say that playing a person on line is far better than tournaments or club play.

Not sure what your computer hang up is unless you are really very old.
Old 20th March 2019
  #65
I enjoy playing Chess with a humanoid or a computer. I get the same enjoyment but I do miss the rapport with a real opponent.

By the way, I bought several more chess sets from India, man the pieces are gorgeous! The knights are truly a work of art!

I also broke out all my sets so I can take some pics. I'll be posting my collection soon under a new thread.

Oh yeah, I got some new chess boards coming my way for the newly acquired pieces.
Old 20th March 2019
  #66
Lives for gear
 
Arseny's Avatar
my highest rating on chessbase: approx 1850
when tired, it goes down to 1500
Old 20th March 2019
  #67
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
What an incredible game chess is. How many probabilities? some say 88+ billion positions after four moves apiece? ... I don't know if that includes moving permutations or if its true.

I played from a very young age to about 16. Since I started so young I was tough to beat... and hence never lost a game... by the time I was playing high level - I got roped into a game I didn't feel like playing; when chess game up at a gathering and someone blurted out that I never lost a game in my life. And I remember someone said there is a very good chess player here "And I want to see you play him." I tried everything to get out of but in the end from the pressure I caved in. - it became so stressful... with everyone watching in anticipation. This player gave me no openings and I pulled a very unorthodox stunt nearing 3 hours... and some how it worked and I won the game that I shouldn't have. - I gave up serious chess up for good. Everybody wants to beat the unbeaten.

Anyway after that - I got involved in other games one was space chess (Don't know what they call it now) but its where you flip the rook over and it becomes a 'forcefield". Real excellent game.

I spent a fair time of my youth developing my own board games to some success - as well as emulating a nice graphic football game - that had a nice fast realistic game flow.

I invented a game (or reinvented a game, don't know) It was the simplest hybrid of the two games and termed it 'Football Chess' and it caught on here and there but would fade out...

First person to get any piece across the board wins. Simple rule that's it. (permutations are getting a 'protected' piece across the board / and best 2 of 3 (to even black/white syndrome out) Its a fun fast moving game with easy learning curve. Its a great game for noobs to play pros. The noobs don't mind playing when they learn the game isn't hours long... just a few minutes to maybe max...(10 or 15 min). Anyone play this game?
Old 20th March 2019
  #68
Lives for gear
 
FreshProduce's Avatar
Here's a fun game that used to pass some time

Crazy Chess - Flash Game
Old 9th April 2019
  #69
Thumbs up Sold!

Based on the online chess games recommendations some of you posted earlier on the thread, I'm totally sold on Chess/com. I'm not a real fan of 2D boards on the PC however, today I discovered that you can change the look of the 2D board as well as change the look of the 2D pieces and I'm totally digging the site as well.

For 3D look and feel, I much prefer Spark chess over Chess/com's 3D.

I'd love to get a DGT board with the matching talking chess computer, but the prices for the wood board and pieces are total thievery IMHO.

I haven't yet delved into the free downloadable chess analyzing software, but they do look promising as well.
Old 6th August 2019
  #70
Chess Clock

I got a new chess clock today!

It's a DGT 3000 Limited. It works like a charm.

Old 7th October 2019
  #71
Lives for gear
Old 7th October 2019
  #72
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
I got a new chess clock today!

It's a DGT 3000 Limited. It works like a charm.

I've used DGT clocks for years and they are solid. Two DGT have lasted for more than 20 years.

Yet maybe a tube model would improve my play. And maybe an analog flip of cards for the time. But really I think the tube is what would move me to another level.
Old 26th December 2019
  #73
Here for the gear
 

love chess but I am still beginner in it
Old 31st December 2019
  #74
Lives for gear
 
FreshProduce's Avatar
Here's another reason why I prefer playing in person..

I've never 'misclicked' in person.
My phone's screen protector is abnormally thick and I lose all the time because of sensitivity issues
Old 1st January 2020
  #75
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshProduce View Post
Here's another reason why I prefer playing in person..

I've never 'misclicked' in person.
My phone's screen protector is abnormally thick and I lose all the time because of sensitivity issues
I've lost games from that as well as intermittent network problems. In person though, you have the touch-move rule. I'm sure we've all inadvertently touched the wrong piece.
Old 5th January 2020
  #76
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by leddy View Post
I've lost games from that as well as intermittent network problems. In person though, you have the touch-move rule. I'm sure we've all inadvertently touched the wrong piece.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump