The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Gearslutz Video Gamers Club
Old 15th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Ha ha, I used to play Doom ALL the time back in the day. What a fun game that was!

I didn't hear about a new one but would be kool if a new version was released.

Have you seen the movie The film is very good, I loved it!
Are you aware of the 2016 release? And the upcoming release?

I wasn`t interested in buying a new Playstation 4, until they released DOOM on it. And after getting it, I knew that any other game would be a let down after being blown away by DOOM ones again.

Old 15th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by deondamage View Post
Are you aware of the 2016 release? And the upcoming release?

I wasn`t interested in buying a new Playstation 4, until they released DOOM on it. And after getting it, I knew that any other game would be a let down after being blown away by DOOM ones again.

Aww man! Why ya have to mention that! Now I'm gonna have to look into it.

No, I didn't know about the 2016 release.
Old 15th February 2019
Quote:
Aww man! Why ya have to mention that! Now I'm gonna have to look into it.

No, I didn't know about the 2016 release.
You`re about to loose some money and considerably more time

Here`s a video on the creation of the soundtrack. Interesting watch.

Old 15th February 2019
Great stuff!

Love the way the game has been transformed, technology wise, since it first came out in 1993. I've only played the early releases on computer versions of the game. Who knows, maybe Santa will be good to me this year.

A Brief History of Doom | Feature | Prima Games

The new weapons, graphics, and special effects are insane compared to the very first version. I'd love to be able to play the game on an X-Box. I'm old school, never played any games except on the PC. When I was a kid growing up, we only had Odyssey & Atari consoles.

Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Great stuff!

The new weapons, graphics, and special effects are insane compared to the very first version. I'd love to be able to play the game on an X-Box. I'm old school, never played any games except on the PC. When I was a kid growing up, we only had Odyssey & Atari consoles.
My brother and I had this... LOL!

(Dad was cool RIP)
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Anyone playing ZANDRONUM? still a great international community great software hackers and wads and mods. Modern skulltag from original DOOM. The All Out War taken from Renegade is a blast of course DM and Quake Champions Edition just made by dbthantos. Its all free online - load and go. There is still a Friday Night Frag Fest... how long is that been going on? Other than that used to love PC Arcade style fast games. Sega Saturn House of the Dead Time Splitters who could forget Snes titles Star Fox Golden Eye Perfect Dark Mario World or Crash da coot. You really have to check out where old style doom is today:
Zandronum.
Old 15th February 2019
You were able to buy the old Doom for IOS a while back, but it stopped working on the new updates. Was still fun playing it on the iPad. My son was frowning at it though. I guess you had to be there when it originally came out to fully appreciate the experience.
@ Synth Guru , I had that Atari too. Space Invaders and Combat used to be my favorite. As a child, I couldn`t afford buying a PC, so I was stuck on Atari, Nintendo and Sega consoles. So I never had the chance to get into the first releases of DOOM, but many of my friends had it, so I usually just watched them play it...for hours. That and Wolfenstein. By the time I finished school and was able to buy my first PC, Quake was the thing, so got heavily into that. Played DOOM as well, but Quake was more advanced at the time. Anyway, right now, DOOM is obviously where it`s at.
Old 15th February 2019
That new DOOM looks badass!
Old 15th February 2019
Quote:
You were able to buy the old Doom for IOS a while back, but it stopped working on the new updates. Was still fun playing it on the iPad. My son was frowning at it though. I guess you had to be there when it originally came out to fully appreciate the experience.
@ Synth Guru , I had that Atari too. Space Invaders and Combat used to be my favorite. As a child, I couldn`t afford buying a PC, so I was stuck on Atari, Nintendo and Sega consoles. So I never had the chance to get into the first releases of DOOM, but many of my friends had it, so I usually just watched them play it...for hours. That and Wolfenstein. By the time I finished school and was able to buy my first PC, Quake was the thing, so got heavily into that. Played DOOM as well, but Quake was more advanced at the time. Anyway, right now, DOOM is obviously where it`s at.
I remember those classics well! I got started with computer games playing Wolfenstein, Hexen, Doom, Quake. I remember seeing those crucified bodies that were quivering on the walls in Quake, that and the music used to give me the creeps! LOL Oh yeah and that nail gun!
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I remember those classics well! I got started with computer games playing Wolfenstein, Hexen, Doom, Quake. I remember seeing those crucified bodies that were quivering on the walls in Quake, that and the music used to give me the creeps! LOL Oh yeah and that nail gun!
Yes Wolfenstein, Hexen, Doom, Quake DM Co-op and more all still alive on DOOM Zandronum... still have the guns ... Quake is real nice its the Champions Edition.. I remember when they said the hardest hit to the economy was DOOM... lol !
AOW All Out War still has the nail gun. Quake Con in TX never went would love to go... most of the leading old school doom players still play Zandronum online daily to prep for the World Championship at Quake Con. Carnevil and John Romero make rare appearances...
Old 16th February 2019
Quote:
Yes, there were some sections that really creeped me out as well. Like the human meat grinder. The game that creeped me out the most, was DOOM 3. The soundtrack on that game is brilliant! Really gives you the chills. And those spiders! Hate those things.
Old 16th February 2019
I forgot to add one of my early on favorite games to my list:

Duke Nukem!

How crappy those graphics look now but back in the day it was the shinz!
Old 16th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I forgot to add one of my early on favorite games to my list:

Duke Nukem!

How crappy those graphics look now but back in the day it was the shinz!
Too bad they never made the movie with Arnold S.
Old 16th February 2019
Gear Addict

This thread is generating some considerable nostalgia with the original Doom/Doom II and Duke Nukem mentions. Plenty of that on my buddy's old 486 back in the day! In between M:TG and D&D games, of course. We were supreme, happy nerds.

...And still are! I've bonded with multiple musician/engineer friends over how a love of gaming and a love of music often go hand-in-hand. Some game soundtracks have been hugely influential on a lot of current instrumental composers: Chrono Trigger/Cross, the Final Fantasy and Zelda series, And Okami all come to mind in terms of games that have really artfully done and beautiful soundtracks.

Currently I'm on Dragon Quest VII ported to the 3DS. It's great. I'll be an old-school JRPG fan for life.
Old 16th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger View Post
This thread is generating some considerable nostalgia with the original Doom/Doom II and Duke Nukem mentions. Plenty of that on my buddy's old 486 back in the day! In between M:TG and D&D games, of course. We were supreme, happy nerds.

...And still are! I've bonded with multiple musician/engineer friends over how a love of gaming and a love of music often go hand-in-hand. Some game soundtracks have been hugely influential on a lot of current instrumental composers: Chrono Trigger/Cross, the Final Fantasy and Zelda series, And Okami all come to mind in terms of games that have really artfully done and beautiful soundtracks.

Currently I'm on Dragon Quest VII ported to the 3DS. It's great. I'll be an old-school JRPG fan for life.
Fat Boy Slim got a huge break with early FIFA soccer game. How bout SSX Tricky -
I have old copy of 'Shining in Darkness' rpg.
Old 18th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger View Post

I've bonded with multiple musician/engineer friends over how a love of gaming and a love of music often go hand-in-hand.
I remember one of the lecturers in Audio Engineering College teaching us that we should never install games on our music workstations. We were all like...say what now? Of course, he was right. I don`t have games on my music workstation, but back in my 20s, it was unavoidable. When the DAWs were closed, the games were opened.
Old 18th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I remember one of the lecturers in Audio Engineering College teaching us that we should never install games on our music workstations. We were all like...say what now? Of course, he was right. I don`t have games on my music workstation, but back in my 20s, it was unavoidable. When the DAWs were closed, the games were opened.
True, they may install some crappy copy protection stuff that may
cause problems...
But games from GOG.com are DRM free.
Old 18th February 2019
Console only over this way. Pc gaming just didn't gel with me much.

That being said, i have way too many consoles and have been forced into emulation from lack of places to store consoles and the games.

Reliving all my arcade experiences as a young lad. Simpsons, tmnt, x-men, bubble bobble......there all here and infinite quarters to pump in them.
Old 18th February 2019
Lives for gear

I still have this one... there is an av out so you can play on any tv. (two controller outs)
Attached Thumbnails
The Gearslutz Video Gamers Club-nomad.jpeg  
Old 13th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
I have old copy of 'Shining in Darkness' rpg.
Insanely good game. The series that followed it (Shinning Force) was entirely different from a gameplay perspective but also great games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
I still have this one... there is an av out so you can play on any tv. (two controller outs)
Bah, that's awesome! Loved those SEGA handhelds, despite all their flaws they were cool machines. I was crazy about the Game Gear back in the day.
Attached Thumbnails
The Gearslutz Video Gamers Club-game_gear.png  
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo C View Post
Insanely good game. The series that followed it (Shinning Force) was entirely different from a gameplay perspective but also great games.

The beauty of the nomad was you could use regular controllers and it had an out for TV... wow quality was sick.... lol Bonsai Bros....

Bah, that's awesome! Loved those SEGA handhelds, despite all their flaws they were cool machines. I was crazy about the Game Gear back in the day.
The beauty of the nomad was you could use regular controllers and it had an out for TV... wow quality was sick.... lol --- Bonsai Bros....
Old 3rd April 2019
Here for the gear

I feel great nostalgia when I think about the old Discent 2. It was my the most favourite game in childhood years!
Old 6th April 2019
Old 7th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo C View Post
Sekiro
Good for the masochist in all of us. I still don't really have the combat dialed in and can currently choose among three bosses who consistently kick my ass. I just need to beat one of them to get somewhere new...
Old 7th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
My brother and I had this... LOL!

(Dad was cool RIP)
Sea battle was aswome.
Old 7th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Good for the masochist in all of us. I still don't really have the combat dialed in and can currently choose among three bosses who consistently kick my ass. I just need to beat one of them to get somewhere new...
Time to git gud!

The combat is really unique, never thought I'd have to take the offensive so much on a From Software game. It's quite different from Dark Souls, where everything was more measured, with a slower pace overall. Having to attack (deflect) the enemy's attack is quite difficult, takes time to get that timing right.

Once it "clicks in" it's beautiful and truly fun, but you do die a lot in the process!

Gorgeous graphics, sound and art direction too, although the fact that it has "combat music" did take away a bit of the tension of the Souls games. Perhaps some good soul in the modding community can change that and do a Souls-like music structure (i.e. only bosses have music) mod. Past mid-game I had turned off the music entirely, only putting it back on when reaching a new area or boss fight.
Old 10th October 2019
It's been a very long time since I last played any computer games. I got hooked on the beautiful and detailed graphics of Train Sim World 2020 on YouTube videos and I scored the game.

The object of the game is to complete various missions and other train related tasks. You are the conductor and you command many styles of locomotives from Freight to Passenger trains. You get points for obeying traffic signs, staying on schedule and so on. It's a low stress laid back type action game.

All Aboard! Toot Toot! Lol I just had to say that.

Old 11th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's been a very long time since I last played any computer games. I got hooked on the beautiful and detailed graphics of Train Sim World 2020 on YouTube videos and I scored the game.

The object of the game is to complete various missions and other train related tasks. You are the conductor and you command many styles of locomotives from Freight to Passenger trains. You get points for obeying traffic signs, staying on schedule and so on. It's a low stress laid back type action game.

All Aboard! Toot Toot! Lol I just had to say that.

I was watching some gameplay of Euro Truck Simulator 2, and it seems like it's along the same lines. You drive around a transport truck and make deliveries in Europe. The highways and scenery seem to all be pretty true to real life in a simulator sort of way, as far as I can tell.
Old 11th October 2019
Gear Nut
cyberpunk 2020 will consume all my time once it comes out. My kids andme also enjoy switch games together. Horizon is still good. I still love red dead 2.
Old 22nd October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paistemage View Post
cyberpunk 2020 will consume all my time once it comes out. My kids andme also enjoy switch games together. Horizon is still good. I still love red dead 2.
So hyped for Cyberpunk, but I hope they learn from Witcher 3 and make the combat actually interesting.

Other than that I'm insanely hyped for this:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search