The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cookeryslutz
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Food addict here. I learned to cook when I was very young because I was a picky eater and my mother wasn't going to have anything to do with catering to my whims.

I am by no means a chef but I am a really good cook at least for my tastes. When I lived in Nashville there were a number of folks trying to talk me into opening a restaurant. The problem there is I do not eat dairy so I have no recipes for cheese or butter or cream so while I have created some wonderful recipes through the years, I am limited to my tastes and that would not do for trying to have a business cooking food for the public.

I do love to cook and it supports my food habit. I love to eat even more and soon I will need something to support my over extended gut! :-)
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
We have a terrific Mexican supermarket very near our house, El Super. A lot of what I cook comes from there. Incredible dried beans -- pinto, black, peruano -- all remarkably fresh. I realize that "fresh dried" seems like an oxymoron, but it's not. Amazing produce, too, and herbs you may not see over there, like epazote.

And I don't know about in the UK, but here there are two kinds of pigs, really lean ones that don't taste like anything, and the old fashioned kind. El Super has those, and they cut them (and their beef, too) in ways that are a bit different from what you'd find in the fancier parts of town.

In general we cook at home, but when it comes to anything Asian we're completely spoiled for choice and the prices make a home attempt pointless. You guys have us beat by a mile for Indian, though.

And yeah, that photo sure does look like a good English bitter in a good English glass. My fave is Young's Special. Can't get it here, but we do have a new local brewpub started by some expat CAMRA disciples. Casks, handpumps, the whole deal. What CAMRA would call "Real." Yum.
I am encouraged to hear you have some good Asian food in your neck of the woods. Chinese is my all time favorite - not so much Cantonese but Szechuan, Hunan, Mandarin. When I was a kid you could not find bad Chinese food. These days, you can't find good Chinese food. I have a theory there is a secret factory in iowa that makes "Bad Chinese Food Sauce". There are two kinds - White and Brown. These get sold all over the US.

There a place in Chinatown in NYC on Pell street called Tong Li Shun. They moved and became the Hunan House @ 45 Mott Street. That place had the best food I have ever eaten anywhere and by far. I moved to AZ in 1981 and for years overtime I visited NY I would eat there twice a day - lunch and dinner every day I was in NY. Sadly the Chinese mafia wanted too much money so the place shut down and Mr Lee was not interested in opening up another restaurant. I would sell my mother to the devil for a few of the recipes at this place. I actually have a menu and once in a blue moon I torture myself and read it and remember the dishes. I guess that makes me a food and a masochist. lol

If I ever head to LA again I shall hit you up for some touts.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbergh View Post
Make sure she doesnt show your friends that or she'll be subjected to a long rant about how Yorkies make 't best fish n chips in't world...
Just now got an email from her about how she had forgotten that Yorkies make 't best fish n chips in't world. But she hasn't been to Wales yet.

She also had to endure a load of crap for ordering a salad instead of the mushy peas. Well deserved crap, I think.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That looks very familiar - is there a park area between it and the channel? If there is we used to detour there on the way between Brizzle and Cardigan just for their fish and chips
Yes! The old road. Glad you made it. I have a recent pic from the promenade near the chippy (Google Earth location 51°34'23.79" N 3°59'35.12" W): attached below. In 1973 I travelled over to Ilfracombe on the paddle steamer ferry ('The Ivanhoe') for beer and pasties. Happy days.

Quote:
Make sure she doesnt show your friends that or she'll be subjected to a long rant about how Yorkies make 't best fish n chips in't world, and 't best cricketers, and 't best beer, and 't best beef, and ... you get my drift
We have the best rain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminIAm View Post
Best fish and chips I've had was in Torquay, by the harbour.

On a side note, I love cooking but I I'm not a cookerygearslut really. I just use basic tools tbf.
Hey. If you can hold a knife then you're a cookeryslut....maybe you do need a few more things though...
I spent a few great summers in the 70's in Devon/Cornwall sampling the wares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
I am encouraged to hear you have some good Asian food in your neck of the woods. Chinese is my all time favorite - not so much Cantonese but Szechuan, Hunan, Mandarin. When I was a kid you could not find bad Chinese food. These days, you can't find good Chinese food...
I worked with a Cantonese chef for a while; I worked front-of-house/waiter in a beautiful Chinese restaurant set in citrus orchards with an indoor-outdoor pool. He spoke Cantonese-Portuguese and I spoke Portuguese-English; we used numbers a lot. Nice guy; simple cooking, very healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Just now got an email from her about how she had forgotten that Yorkies make 't best fish n chips in't world. But she hasn't been to Wales yet.

She also had to endure a load of crap for ordering a salad instead of the mushy peas. Well deserved crap, I think.
Salad's back in now, It's OK. Lol. I like some fried samphire with fish too; it's a kind of sea-marsh asparagus that grows wild. That's the real authentic salad....free and local.
Attached Thumbnails
Cookeryslutz-img_2955.jpg   Cookeryslutz-knab-rock.jpg  
Old 21st April 2017
Ok, so it happens we were all eating Fish & Chips at the same place ? .... LOL

It was great seeing Wales and sharing your hospitalty, hope to see you soon in the Netherlands
Old 13th May 2017
Lives for gear

Somethings cookin' in the kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails
Cookeryslutz-bread.jpg   Cookeryslutz-pgtips-close.jpg  
Old 13th May 2017
Hmmmm.... is that sunfish I'm smelling ?
Old 13th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmik Prod. View Post
Hmmmm.... is that sunfish I'm smelling ?
Yes. Inside the box
Old 13th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Somethings cookin' in the kitchen.
That looks yum!
Old 13th May 2017
Lives for gear

My two favorites:

My wood-burning cookstove and the Caidao I've had for 45 years. Just supped on lamb stew which I started after breakfast this AM. Currently working to perfect my recipe for potato leek soup.
Attached Thumbnails
Cookeryslutz-image.jpeg  
Old 13th May 2017
Lives for gear

I just have to share - just made the most incredible meatballs the other day.

3 lbs of sweet Italian sausage (casing removed)
3 lbs of 80/20 ground beef

2 heads of garlic, chopped/minced fine
2 med/large onions chopped/minced fine

6 cups of unseasoned panko bread crumbs
4 cups of whole milk (more if needed, so that the mixture is not dry at all)

8 oz shredded parmesan
8 oz shredded asiago
8 oz shredded romano

2-3 bunches of flat leaf Italian parsley, stems removed, chopped fine

salt, pepper

...mix all ingredients loosely but that they're all incorporated. Shape into size of a baseball.

Cook @ 370 for an hour, turning often so they cook evenly. Drain the liquid from pan (there will be a lot of liquid and fat).
Cook further until outsides are caramelized/browned. (again turning often, most likely around 30 min)

Reheat the meatballs with marinara sauce, serve over pasta, sprinkled with grated parmesan, and don't skip the red wine
Old 13th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
That looks yum!
Thanks The finish is like my mixes...wholesome ingredients but still needs practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
My two favorites:

My wood-burning cookstove and my Caidao. Just supped on lamb stew which I started after breakfast this AM.
I miss the woodsmoke...connects me with the ancestors. I met some Indonesian guys who cooked whole lamb over a rectangular charcoal pit dug in the ground. Basted the lamb with honey, garlic, thyme and lemon. Very nice; slow cooked for hours.

I had to look up Caidao...very nice. I was always intrigued by the rumour that many Asian chefs use one knife only, even for delicate work.

I found this page which is like proper Knifeslutz: The Ultimate Kitchen Knife Thread!
Old 13th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
I just have to share - just made the most incredible meatballs the other day.

3 lbs of sweet Italian sausage (casing removed)
3 lbs of 80/20 ground beef

2 heads of garlic, chopped/minced fine
2 med/large onions chopped/minced fine

6 cups of unseasoned panko bread crumbs
4 cups of whole milk (more if needed, so that the mixture is not dry at all)

8 oz shredded parmesan
8 oz shredded asiago
8 oz shredded romano

2-3 bunches of flat leaf Italian parsley, stems removed, chopped fine

salt, pepper

...mix all ingredients loosely but that they're all incorporated. Shape into size of a baseball.

Cook @ 370 for an hour, turning often so they cook evenly. Drain the liquid from pan (there will be a lot of liquid and fat).
Cook further until outsides are caramelized/browned. (again turning often, most likely around 30 min)

Reheat the meatballs with marinara sauce, serve over pasta, sprinkled with grated parmesan, and don't skip the red wine
Thanks man! I'm gonna try this next weekend
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search