The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your movie reviews Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 4 weeks ago
Tonight I watched The Dark Tower, a movie based on a Stephen King book. It seemed entertaining but it was more on the side of just being meh.

The story line is about a gunslinger with special powers who must guard a tower that binds many dimensions. A warlock type is trying to destroy the tower to gain control and throw the earth into darkness.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I watched "Hereafter" on Netflix........basically 3 separate stories about people dealing with death in diff ways which it turns out are kind of intertwined.......stars Matt Damon and some others I've never heard of and directed/produced by none other than Clint Eastwood and Stephen Speilberg. It's OK.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Watched Raw on Netflix this weekend. I forget about the whole French extremism movement in cinema until I'm watching something French and wondering why the hell it's so gory. It's about a girl starting school at a veterinary college. She's a vegetarian and as part of a hazing ritual, she's made to eat a raw rabbit kidney. Her body reacts strangely to the experience and suddenly she's got cravings for raw meat of all sorts. It's basically a coming of age story set against the backdrop of college party life and cannibalism. It has a great ending. It's a pretty good movie if you like your drama with more meat.

On a much lighter note, I saw the Netflix documentary on the Fyre Festival events from a couple years ago. Brief summary for those that don't remember the incident or need your memories jogged: the 2017 Fyre Festival promised a luxury experience with big name artists performing, beachside villas, great food, private yachts, and all on a deserted island in the Bahamas. What ended up happening was basically a garbage fire of an event where the villas were FEMA tents, the fine dining was cheese sandwiches, and all of the bands cancelled because of conditions at the fest. This documentary goes into the people behind the whole thing and where it all went wrong. Not the greatest documentary in the world, but it's pretty entertaining.

Starting to realize how much of a lazy bum I was over the weekend, I also got to see Io. It's a Netflix original, and as one reviewer describes it, it's pretty much The Martian, but working backward. It's loosely sci-fi drama, but more along the lines of The Road. It's a great premise, but a bit slow-moving. The ending is going to be polarizing. I loved it, but I imagine there's probably going to be a lot of people unhappy with it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Non-Stop: Liam Neeson as a federal agent who flies on planes to prevent terrorists/etc and ends up in a battle of wits with one. It was OK.
Old 2 weeks ago
Thumbs up Fast & Furious Collection

I've been watching the Fast & Furious collection. I never saw the films at the movie theater so it's the first time for me. Today I watched "Fast Five" a film about a bank heist in which the thieves steal the entire bank vault.

The vault was full of money belonging to a mafioso in Brazil. I really enjoyed the film.

So far I've watched the first five out of eight films in the franchise. I can honestly say, I've thoroughly relished each film and can't wait to watch the remaining three. If you love fast cars and races, you'll like these movies.

As I watch the films, I can't help feeling a little sad over the tragic death of Paul Walker. I heard about the accident back in 2013 on the news. That young man embodies the soul of the films. He seems so full of life and the type of person that has a heart of gold. So sad. R.I.P.

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Cool, I haven't seen these, will check out, though they seem more like summer movies to me. Nick Cage, right?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Cool, I haven't seen these, will check out, though they seem more like summer movies to me. Nick Cage, right?
Nick is not in this franchise but he did star in a different movie titled Drive Angry.

Paul Walker, Vin Diesel, and Dwayne Johnson are the main characters along with Michelle Rodriguez, Jordana Brewster, and many more.
Old 2 weeks ago
New Queen film is phenomenal, 10 out 10
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've been trying to catch this one for a while.

I meant to see it in theaters, but it ended up having a limited release with no showings around my area. It dropped on Netflix, so I finally got to see it. It's an absurdist comedy (Daniel Radcliffe plays a dead body that starts talking and does everything from dispense water to launch harpoons) that puts a lot of light on what it means to be a living human being. Absolutely enjoyed it, and the BluRay is on the way from Amazon. I'd recommend it to pretty much anyone.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Forgot to mention one I saw a couple weeks ago that I was impressed with: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. It's from the guy that made The Fifth Element (Luc Besson), and you can see a lot of his style in this movie. Maybe not the best sci-fi ever, but still a very entertaining film.
Old 1 week ago
f33
Gear Addict

watched the old movie, the thief, last nite.

tangerine dream did the soundtrack. worth watching on the cheap. def worth checking/buying the soundtrack
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by f33 View Post
watched the old movie, the thief, last nite.

tangerine dream did the soundtrack. worth watching on the cheap. def worth checking/buying the soundtrack
I enjoyed that movie. I loved the soundtrack too!
Old 1 week ago
ccg
Gear Maniac

Just saw "The Lure" on Blu-Ray. Capital A Art.

Somebody mentioned "Raw" here. "Raw" is relatively sub-par in comparison, but at least there was an attempt. Raw was different at least, so points for that.

YouTube
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccg View Post
Just saw "The Lure" on Blu-Ray. Capital A Art.

Somebody mentioned "Raw" here. "Raw" is relatively sub-par in comparison, but at least there was an attempt. Raw was different at least, so points for that.

YouTube
Different strokes and all that. I loved Raw.
Old 1 week ago
ccg
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Different strokes and all that. I loved Raw.
I'm not really trying to knock Raw. I guess that's how it came off. I suppose I was just trying to express my enthusiasm for The Lure. Raw was solid enough.

If you liked Raw and haven't seen The Lure it might be up your alley too.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Watched a biopic last night which I didn't realise existed.....'Phil Spector' starring Al Pacino in the title role.

The film begins with a strange disclaimer in which it states that it is a work of fiction based on the trial of Spector for murder.

Good performance from Al Pacino, once you get Tony Montana and Michael Corleone out of your head.....Helen Mirren also puts in a good performance, though not sure about her 'American accent' at times.....I'd like to watch it again, it's also piqued my interest in the real events of the court case.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccg View Post
I'm not really trying to knock Raw. I guess that's how it came off. I suppose I was just trying to express my enthusiasm for The Lure. Raw was solid enough.

If you liked Raw and haven't seen The Lure it might be up your alley too.
Ooh... The Lure is a Criterion movie! Say no more, I've got it wishlisted now. Thanks for pointing this one out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
Watched a biopic last night which I didn't realise existed.....'Phil Spector' starring Al Pacino in the title role.

The film begins with a strange disclaimer in which it states that it is a work of fiction based on the trial of Spector for murder.

Good performance from Al Pacino, once you get Tony Montana and Michael Corleone out of your head.....Helen Mirren also puts in a good performance, though not sure about her 'American accent' at times.....I'd like to watch it again, it's also piqued my interest in the real events of the court case.
Speaking of crazy court cases, I checked out the Ted Bundy documentary on Netflix this week. (Conversations With a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes). I didn't know much about him going in, but I thought I'd follow the hype train. It's not as mind-blowing as everybody makes it out to be, but there were definitely some "oh my god, this can't be real" moments. The cops laughing on camera about his escape from jail was just horrifying, because the murders that followed were pretty much on their head. I learned a lot from the series, which I guess is the ultimate goal of any documentary, so good job to the creators for piecing this together.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Groundhog Day - A little late on this one but it holds up well. Bill Murray at his best. Great supporting cast too.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search