The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Functional Alcoholics Unite - What Are You Drinking? Channel Strip Plugins
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
Makers Mark.
That's a good sipping whiskey. I bought a bottle for my dad for some holiday years back, and he calls me the next day cursing me because he drank most of the bottle and was left hugging the toilet. I'm like, "Dude! That's not what that's for!"
Old 9th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
That's a good sipping whiskey. I bought a bottle for my dad for some holiday years back, and he calls me the next day cursing me because he drank most of the bottle and was left hugging the toilet. I'm like, "Dude! That's not what that's for!"
poor guy
The danger is in its smoothness. It goes down easily so more of it goes down.

Back when I lived in NC a guy I knew used to get me 150 proof peach moonshine from some backwoods shiner and man that stuff was smooth. And I’d get falling down drunk on it until I learned to drink it real slow. Seriously dangerous stuff.

One day I shared some with my roommate and he didn’t listen to my warnings and guzzled the stuff. He got falling down drunk and at one point he knocked over one of my monitors. I got pissed and dragged him to his room and told him to sleep it off. He didn’t and soon after managed to bust a 4 ft hole into the wall where he fell against it and then fell out the window glass and all. What a mess!
Then he came back in through the front door and left a trail of blood all the way through the house
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
I bought a bottle of Absynth a couple of years ago. It tasted like my grandmother's cough syrup from 60 yrs ago. The bottle is still full in my cabinet.

Nasty tasting stuff.
I rarely do alcohol but when I do it’s Absinthe. Derp is right, in that some are quite tastey.

I gave up drinking when I was 16. Had some Vodka once at age 24 because a girlfriend was desperate to see me drunk and since then I’ll have some absinthe every 3-4 years.

Last edited by Acid Mitch; 12th July 2018 at 01:52 PM..
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaMusic View Post
I always go to the Old Absinthe House when I go to New Orleans. I love it to, the flames
Setting it on fire just wastes some of the alcohol content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaMusic View Post
It`s a drunk buzz, but there`s something different about it. .
Aye, other alcoholic drinks I’ve tried don’t quite seem to hit the mark.

Last edited by Acid Mitch; 12th July 2018 at 01:52 PM..
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Weed aint any better Jim, well basically anything you smoke isnt any better.
You can eat it or vape it , avoiding putting anything carcinogenic in your system.

Latest stuff I was reading about alcohol claims that drinking any amount in middle age increases your risk of cancer.
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
Latest stuff I was reading about alcohol claims that drinking any amount in middle age increases your risk of cancer.
Same stuff I've read. Except wine. Red wine is supposed to be really good for your heart.
Old 12th July 2018
If red wine is good for your heart then what is tequila good for?

Got another bottle of Pyrat last weekend. Seriously good stuff if you enjoy rum.

I’ve got a nice little collection of those nifty metal charms now. Thinking about sampling the sound of them clinking together. Make some evil nursery rhyme music
Attached Thumbnails
Functional Alcoholics Unite - What Are You Drinking?-7125a070-2d18-483f-9e17-9589f877eb12.jpg  
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Same stuff I've read. Except wine. Red wine is supposed to be really good for your heart.
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
If red wine is good for your heart then what is tequila good for?

Got another bottle of Pyrat last weekend. Seriously good stuff if you enjoy rum.

I’ve got a nice little collection of those nifty metal charms now. Thinking about sampling the sound of them clinking together. Make some evil nursery rhyme music
Tequila is good for everything

Evil nursery rhyme? Only if you don't like women who party.

Old 18th July 2018
Store bought moonshine is mostly crap from what I’ve found but this one is a nice dessert cocktail

Chocolate Cherry Moonshine

Functional Alcoholics Unite - What Are You Drinking?-a17cf8cf-5a5f-4532-8ba2-8c0ad08a6825.jpg

Can’t wait to try it over ice cream!
Attached Thumbnails
Functional Alcoholics Unite - What Are You Drinking?-a17cf8cf-5a5f-4532-8ba2-8c0ad08a6825.jpg  
Old 2nd August 2018
Lives for gear

Old 7th August 2018
Lives for gear

Picked up some absinthe last week and found this.

I've read some bad reviews about it, but Absente gets terrible reviews as well and I find it drinkable, so I thought I'd give this a shot. Plus it's from Austria and costs twice as much as my usual Ordinaire. It tastes nothing like absinthe. It's this weird oil with green stuff suspended in something akin to rubbing alcohol. This crap doesn't even louche properly.

So this weekend, rather than drink more of this crap, I hit a bottle of Fris vodka. This ended up being a reminder that an absinthe drunk is very different from a vodka drunk. I blacked out and don't remember half of that night, but apparently I was video messaging everybody and livestreaming on FaceBook just bawling my eyes out about how worthless I am.

Lessons learned: Expensive doesn't mean good when it comes to absinthe. Vodka is the devil.
Old 7th August 2018
Gear Nut

I've been all about classic tiki drinks a la Don Beachcomber as of late. Making syrups from scratch in combination with rum is killer. For you fellow rum heads out there check out Chris Blackwell's Blackwell rum ,yes that Island Records fellow who "discovered" bob marley etc) ... it's a super delicious Jamaican rum so it's got that dark island funk that's murderous in cocktails.

Tiki cocktails usually have 2-3 rums in em so toss in a shot of golden rum, &/or Lemonhart 151 and you're singing now! Add in some falernum, don's mix no.2 ( 2 parts grapefruit to 1 part cinnamon syrup),fresh lime juice, and splash on pineapple with 3/4cup crushed ice, then garnishes of your choice ( pineapple slice/leaves,mint,cherry,) & enjoy the beach!
Old 10th August 2018
Lives for gear

Happy Friday to my fellow imbibers!

The wife was kind enough to stop by the liquor store and pick this one up for me in hopes of keeping me from another vodka-induced bender of self-loathing:

Wormwood Society's got some problems with their website, but I recall reading good reviews of this. I had Pernod pastis back when wormwood and thujone were still illegal, and I remember enjoying the taste. This will be a nice break from the weird nontraditional absinthes I've been getting my hands on lately as this will be my first French absinthe since I started with Absente all those months ago.
Old 11th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Happy Friday to my fellow imbibers!

The wife was kind enough to stop by the liquor store and pick this one up for me in hopes of keeping me from another vodka-induced bender of self-loathing:
Well, I hope you gave her a proper "reward" for her troubles....
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
Well, I hope you gave her a proper "reward" for her troubles....
Yes I did. I left her alone and stayed in my studio getting drunk. Woo!
Old 15th August 2018
Gear Head

Monkey 47 gin, feverfew tonic, ice, 5 or 6 mint leaves, sublime flavours.
Guinness foreign extra, the Nigerian version if possible, thick and damaging.
A good primitivo or tempranillo, juicy splendiforousness

All float my boat and have lubricated many a studio session.
But if i find myself struggling to plug a mic in it's time to get the coffee on.
Old 16th August 2018
I've enjoyed the art of making the perfect Margarita! Very tasty too. I think, I've nailed it.

or

+

and

Old 16th August 2018
Quote:
I've enjoyed the art of making the perfect Margarita! Very tasty too. I think, I've nailed it.

or

+

and

That’s very nice tequila. During a business trip to Denver I stopped in a tequila bar there and had a few expensive shots of that and loved it. I’m not sure how I got back to the motel that night...
Old 16th August 2018
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
My margarita is called The Velvet Hammer™. Drinking it is like being hit in the head with a hammer covered in the softest velvet.

2 parts 100% blue agave tequila (silver or reposado)
1 part fresh squeezed lime juice
1 part Cointreau

Shake with ice, strain and serve neat or on the rocks. I salt the rim, and serve with a lime wedge.

You can make this in larger batches for entertaining. Just make sure that the mixture is at room temperature, and shake on ice for a few drinks at a time. Chilling the mixture makes it so that it doesn't get diluted by the ice, which makes it uncomfortably strong and more medicinal.

Cointreau is vital for The Velvet Hammer™. I've tried other triple secs, and they range from gross (Bols) to pretty decent (Patrón Citrónge Orange). Cointreau is PERFECT for this drink, with a bright yet complex orange flavor, just the right amount of sweetness, and a lot of alcohol. I avoid Grand Marnier, as it has too much oakiness.
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear

Went to the liquor store yesterday to pick up more absinthe, but the one I stopped at doesn't carry the cheap brand that I use as a day-to-day/cocktail drink (Absinthe Ordinaire.) So instead, I dropped the extra money to try Lucid. Wormwood Society ripped on this one constantly. If I had started with Lucid, I probably wouldn't have liked it and gotten in over my head like I have now, but coming to it from trying cheap stuff to expensive Swiss stuff to true garbage, I enjoyed it. It's strong on the anise and heavy on fennel, so it's got the licorice flavor of Absente/Ordinaire, but with a bit of that earthy peppery flavor I loved about Mansinthe. It's a very good combination. Very complex. I could understand someone new to absinthe not liking this one, but having tried a few, I rather enjoyed it. This one has turned out to be a pleasant surprise and I look forward to drowning my brain in this weekend.
Old 16th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
My margarita is called The Velvet Hammer™. Drinking it is like being hit in the head with a hammer covered in the softest velvet.

2 parts 100% blue agave tequila (silver or reposado)
1 part fresh squeezed lime juice
1 part Cointreau

Shake with ice, strain and serve neat or on the rocks. I salt the rim, and serve with a lime wedge.

You can make this in larger batches for entertaining. Just make sure that the mixture is at room temperature, and shake on ice for a few drinks at a time. Chilling the mixture makes it so that it doesn't get diluted by the ice, which makes it uncomfortably strong and more medicinal.

Cointreau is vital for The Velvet Hammer™. I've tried other triple secs, and they range from gross (Bols) to pretty decent (Patrón Citrónge Orange). Cointreau is PERFECT for this drink, with a bright yet complex orange flavor, just the right amount of sweetness, and a lot of alcohol. I avoid Grand Marnier, as it has too much oakiness.
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try the Cointreau.
Old 18th August 2018
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try the Cointreau.
It really makes the drink.

I also recommend getting a decent tequila, but not too high end. I've noticed that the more expensive reposado tequilas can have WAY too much of a vanilla flavor (probably from the oak casks used for aging). You don't want to use low end Cuervo, but you don't want something that overwhelms the citrus flavor.

I tend to go for Hornitos Reposado as of late, but most 100% blue agave tequilas will be pretty decent in this drink. I prefer a bit of peppery bite in the tequila, but a more neutral blanco or plata tequila can be just the thing on a hot summer day. Or on a cold winter evening - the best margaritas I ever made were shaken with high desert snow, served after hanging out in a hot tub where it was cold enough that my hair was freezing.

If you want to control the amount of smokiness in the drink, you can add a floater of mezcal. A little bit goes a long way. This tends to be better in something like a Bloody Maria, versus a margarita.

A few summers back, I made the most INSANE margaritas with blood orange infused tequila. I did the infusion myself, by cutting up enough blood oranges to fill a few jars, pouring some Costco silver tequila into the jars until they were full (Costco silver tequila is neutral, but not bad for this purpose, and is CHEAP), and refrigerating for a week, shaking once a day. The margaritas were super smooth, and compulsively drinkable. Honestly, kind of dangerous.
Old 18th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
Honestly, kind of dangerous.
The best kind!
Old 18th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

or

+

and

What good is this if you dont give any measuremnts man!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 19th August 2018
Lives for gear

Need to find me some aqvavit. The old Danish bakers I worked with in the 70s preferred it to water. Or pretty much everything else. One of them used to wander around town at midnite, mumbling and stumbling, and be in the shop making pastry by 4 AM.

But my staple from Fall to Spring is JD. In the summer it's tequila, and when I can afford it, the Casamigos reposado.

I'm 66, so pretty much don't give two ferks if the sweet nectar is slowly killing me.
Old 19th August 2018
Today I just out of boredom picked up an $18 bottle of single malt and you know it’s the most fun buzz I’ve had in awhile!
Granted I’ll be sick as a dog tomorrow....

Also got some blood orange liqueur by 5 Saints in Norristown PA and it’s pretty nice for cocktails.
Can’t recommend any of their other products but this ones worth the drive.

Also that Olo rum is THE best rum for Mojitos!
Read the reviews...
Technically it’s cachaça. And probably the best you can find outside of Brazil.

Functional Alcoholics Unite - What Are You Drinking?-cfacd5de-19f0-41a8-a9b0-cc4771045249.jpg

Also if you find yourself traveling in Brazil find a local who can take you to a “dirty cup” bar out in the countryside for a taste of real homemade cachaça. It’s their equivalent of moonshine and worth seeking out even if it means many miles of bumpy mountain roads. You haven’t had a Caipirinha until you’ve had one in Brazils rural areas!
Attached Thumbnails
Functional Alcoholics Unite - What Are You Drinking?-cfacd5de-19f0-41a8-a9b0-cc4771045249.jpg  

Last edited by Hollowman9; 19th August 2018 at 01:16 AM..
Old 19th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
Bring on the beer!

Beer?
Bring it on!!!
Watch out...

Alcohol by volume (ABV): 8.20%
Old 20th August 2018
can't beat a bit of sailor jerrys, jim beam (white label), sweet martini, raki or gordons gin (not all at the same time)
Old 21st August 2018
Lives for gear

After a bunch of drunken over-analyzing, I figured out why I love the Lucid absinthe so much. Took a while to put my finger on it, but then it occurred to me.

Guys... Lucid smells and tastes like really good p*ssy. I kid you not. It was making me nostalgic. I think I've found my favorite absinthe of all.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search