The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording documentaries
Old 14th March 2018
Here for the gear

Recording documentaries

I know it's probably impossible to find a real in depth doc about the recording process but looking for some ideas.

I've really enjoyed
Sound City
Wrecking Crew
That other one by Foo fighters going to famous studios for each song.

If there is anything like "here there and everywhere" that's the stuff of love.

Also earthquaker devices does pretty good shorts on random engineers and producers.
Old 14th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drq View Post
I know it's probably impossible to find a real in depth doc about the recording process but looking for some ideas.

I've really enjoyed
Sound City
Wrecking Crew
That other one by Foo fighters going to famous studios for each song.

If there is anything like "here there and everywhere" that's the stuff of love.

Also earthquaker devices does pretty good shorts on random engineers and producers.
Check out Muscle Shoals, the proper, full-length documentary on FAME studios in Muscle Shoals, and Standing in the Shadow of Motown, about...well, Motown. These are good, full-length documentaries on those studios and session players.

Other than those, there aren't too many full-length, proper documentaries on the recording process, unfortunately. Frankly, it doesn't interest enough people in general to justify the cost, and securing the rights to the music can be exorbitantly expensive.

There are many documentaries on recording artists, however, and you can usually glean some useful recording or song creation tips from them. And there are some on certain instruments (such as synths or guitars) or styles of music, and those are usually pretty good.

I've seen the ones you mention here, and I've watched at least two dozen more on The Beatles (especially the latest ones on the re-mix of Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band), David Bowie, The Rolling Stones (every big band from London in the '60s actually), Bob Dylan, Robert Johnson...etc., and various styles of music. All of these were (and may still be) available on Amazon Prime or Netflix, and some are on YouTube (with varying levels of quality, unfortunately).

Steve
Old 31st May 2018
Here for the gear

This may not be your genre, but one of my favorites is Don't Try This At Home, by Sum41. It strongly captures the rock n' roll attitude, but also the lengthy tracking process and chaos in the studio. Granted, Deryck Whibley nearly died of alcoholism shortly after, but it's a fascinating look at being free during the creative process while not giving a f*** about much else. As someone who finds it difficult to get out of my own headspace sometimes, I watch this every now and then and find it quite inspiring.
Old 31st May 2018
Gear Maniac

This one isn't exactly an in-depth documentary about the recording process, but it is interesting nonetheless: "Tom Dowd and the Language of Music".

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search