The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any fellow wristwatch collectors among the slutz?
Old 1st May 2017
Gear Nut

Any fellow wristwatch collectors among the slutz?

Probably from the same kind of interest I've always had for the engineering and execution of audio electronics, I've long had an interest in complicated hand-made wristwatches.

My current collection includes some nice rarities.

Any other slutz that are interested in/collect watches?

Last edited by rasher; 1st May 2017 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: Typo in title
Old 1st May 2017
Gear Guru

It's calmed down a bit now, but for a long while here in LA, wearing a fancy watch was a good way to get yourself mugged or worse.

I buy inexpensive Russian watches off eBay. They still make new stem-winders there, and a lot of them are pretty goofy-looking. I first discovered them in a London pawnshop, of all places.
Old 1st May 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
It's calmed down a bit now, but for a long while here in LA, wearing a fancy watch was a good way to get yourself mugged or worse.
Sadly, same in the SF bay area - it got to where when a group of us would get together for a collector's luncheon, we'd hire armed security.
Old 1st May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasher View Post
Probably from the same kind of interest I've always had for the engineering and execution of audio electronics, I've long had an interest in complicated hand-made wristwatches.

My current collection includes some nice rarities.

Any other slutz that are interested in/collect watches?
Show us da pics!
Old 2nd May 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Show us da pics!
Don't have many handy on this PC...

Patek Philippe 5016 (Tourbillon/Minute Repeater/Perpetual Calendar), Blancpain 1735 (Tourbillon/Minute Repeater/Perpetual Calendar/Split-seconds Chronograph), Patek Philippe 5004 (Split-seconds chronograph/Perpetual Calendar):

Sorry about quality - those were slapped together on the way out the door to a collector's lunch for a snap a buddy wanted for his father...

Audemars Piguet EOT (Perpetual Calendar/Equation Of Time/Sunrise-Sunset Times)

Dealer took that pic before delivery. If you look closely, you can see "San Francisco" on the bezel. That's because each piece is built to order, giving the Equation of time and Sunrise/Sunset times for the owner's location. Mine is a unique realization, in that it has a set of half-a-dozen bezel/gear combinations (came in an incredible inlaid presentation box with watchmaker tools to make changes) for New York, London, Hong Kong, and so on locations.

One of my prettiest watches, IMO.

Hope you enjoy these few pics.
Old 2nd May 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Show us da pics!
And on the other end of the scale, these are pix snagged from eBay, but they're typical of the watches I buy.
Attached Thumbnails
Any fellow wristwatch collectors among the slutz?-rw1.jpg   Any fellow wristwatch collectors among the slutz?-rw2.jpg  
Old 2nd May 2017
Those are some nice time pieces! Thx for sharing.

I'm a bit of a collector myself. I'll get some pics in the morning.
Old 2nd May 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'm a bit of a collector myself. I'll get some pics in the morning.
I can see that from your mask/sword posts! I know nothing about either, but those masks are cool!
Old 12th May 2017
Not a collector but I appreciate a nice wristwatch, they are a dying breed for sure.

I have a couple pieces from this guy here - https://mrjoneswatches.com - really like their work, more about art than function, but they are always a talking point.
Old 16th May 2017
Here for the gear

Not a fan, but recently wife start to collect some great wristwatches. Not too interested at first, but it looks great.
Old 2nd August 2017
My most frequently worn casual watches:

Rolex GMT 2 "Batman"
Pamerai 8 day manual wind
Omega Seamaster "James Bond"

Old 2nd August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemosit View Post

Rolex GMT 2 "Batman"
Very nice!

I'll have to dig up some of my watches and post them here.
Old 20th August 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemosit View Post

Rolex GMT 2 "Batman"
Nice.
Seamaster is a great and under-rated watch.
Old 21st August 2017
Deleted User
Yep, I inherited a 1950's Omega Seamaster Calendar and the thing looks great and runs flawlessly. I've never worn a watch though, so not sure what I'm gonna do with it...
Old 12th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
Not a collector but I appreciate a nice wristwatch, they are a dying breed for sure.

I have a couple pieces from this guy here - https://mrjoneswatches.com - really like their work, more about art than function, but they are always a talking point.

Oh, those look fun! I adore a nice watch, but I've not invested much into it. If I get more than a few hundred $$, it's always gone into music gear(and travel more recently). I've got a Russian diver and a few Skagens. I've been looking into respected "boutique" companies and hope to invest in one of them sooner than later. I've been eyeing Gavox, & Steinhart as well as Archemidie for pilot & diver styles. I've been looking at Seiko for dress(Cocktail Time) & racing styles.
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

No pics...I have 3
Patek Phillipe Nautilis Jumbo Stainless..bought new
Porsche..first Porsche watch imported into US. Sn...001
Rolex Datejust 18k too flashy..not a gold person
Old 9th January 2018
I've managed to smash every watch I've ever worn. Glad they weren't a rolex.

I use a cell phone these days...
Old 9th January 2018
I'm currently wearing a Tissot T-Navigator automatic chronograph. It's my first swiss chrono and I got it for a spectacular price on amazon.

Prior to that my daily wear was a citizen eco drive aviator/field watch with a chronograph. I still love that watch, but self-winding is the bee's knees. I didn't realize how much I'd enjoy a urethane band. It's a bit warmer than the fabric band on my citizen. The band's about worn out though so I need to find an actual nato band for it now.

I also have a simple citizen eco drive dress watch that I wear with a suit. My wife got it and I wore it casually for a few days, but those bands are a little too delicate for daily wear.

I also have a 1st gen apple watch but I don't wear it, the constant buzzing from social media stuff was too distracting, especially on stage.

One day I'd like a Submariner or a seamaster. I have a submariner copy and that movement is automatic and kinda glides, but not like those rolex movements.

At one point I carried a pocket watch but I much prefer a wristwatch. In college I really tore up my powerbook's finish typing on it while wearing a watch, now if only I knew which watch that was...
Old 11th January 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
No pics...I have 3
Patek Phillipe Nautilis
A classic.
Old 13th January 2018
Old 16th April 2019
Horology fans unite!

my buddy w/ disposable income has turned me on to watches and watch collecting over the years.

i've always loved them and even have some old wacky ones i've accumulated over the years. being a selective pack-rat comes through finally.

anyway, as i begin my real collection, i've emailed and talked to a few
indie watch makers and i must say they are some of the nicest folks
i've ever corresponded with. so far, i'm targeting smaller indies unil
i save up for my target $ watch...an Oris Big Crown Pointer Date.
there's so many others but...for now...gotta start somewhere.

one of the places i'm starting is here:

Collins Automatic - Silver - PRE-ORDER — COLLINS WATCH COMPANY

turns out he's a massive audio dork as well as a watch
nerd! here's a little teaser about him/it:

Introducing the Collins Watch on Vimeo

can't wait to get mine. thought i'd spread the word to the folks around here 'cause hey...his **** is cool! now, who else wants to talk watches!???

marty
Old 16th April 2019
We've merged your thread with this one.

That looks like a kool watch. I like those radioactive illuminated hands!
Old 16th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasher View Post
Don't have many handy on this PC...

Hope you enjoy these few pics.
you sir, have impeccable taste! i'm obsessed w/
old Flieger style watches and your old Chronographs
are just perfect.

guys, i'm so sick about the theft **** y'all are describing.
that's good to know for my future reference but damn.

in my LA days i did almost get mugged once walking
from one of our studio's buildings to the other in Hollywood.
ah, street rabble.

keep the pix coming! i'll do the same.

m.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search