The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I think I`m going to take piano lessons Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 6th April 2017
Lives for gear

I think I`m going to take piano lessons

I can play half-assed. I manage to make full songs and sing them. Pretty soon I`ll be eligible for free accredited college classes, because I went to college, finished, and now I work in higher education. They have a music program with a long hall full, door after door, of soundproof studios. I just want to know what I`m actually playing, and improve on that. I know a jazz pianist who just literally blows my mind how he goes off into these complex piano solos. I`m dizzied out just watching him. Then he plays my guitar and is better than me on that too. Start your kiddos out young. I believe he started when he was 6.
Old 6th April 2017
Lives for gear
Good luck, it's very rewarding even if you never get to the point where others around you are.

I bet you know what's involved, but just in case, The first 500 hours of any instrument is painful to listen to yourself, and it take 10,000 to get good +-50% depending on how it's approached. Start by learning the scales with correct fingering and figure out the circle of 5th. When learning the basic chords, the natural position is the worst sounding for creating your own stuff, the first inversion is the most useful....Root note on top.

Lesson 1.

Hold down the lowest A note. play any other white notes on the keyboard......it works. Lesson two. Hold down the lowest C note, play any white notes....it works. That's the basics of C major and A minor.
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Good luck, it's very rewarding even if you never get to the point where others around you are.

I bet you know what's involved, but just in case, The first 500 hours of any instrument is painful to listen to yourself, and it take 10,000 to get good +-50% depending on how it's approached. Start by learning the scales with correct fingering and figure out the circle of 5th. When learning the basic chords, the natural position is the worst sounding for creating your own stuff, the first inversion is the most useful....Root note on top.

Lesson 1.

Hold down the lowest A note. play any other white notes on the keyboard......it works. Lesson two. Hold down the lowest C note, play any white notes....it works. That's the basics of C major and A minor.
I play by ear, and even write and record my own songs, it actually sounds like I know what I`m doing. But I don`t. I have a feel for it, but it`s not the RIGHT feel.
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear
To change your style per say, put on albums of the style you want to sound like and play & improvise with them. Eventually you start using that style in your playing.

I know what you mean, I have the same issues. I took 6 years classic then 2 years jazz lessons. I can't get the jazz scales out of my playing. I'm a drummer first, engineer second, and piano player 3rd. And since my day job is not music, not enough time goes to playing piano.
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

I thought it was common knowledge that all male piano players were gay. The only exceptions being Fats Domino and Jerry Lee Lewis. Sure you want to go there?

I say this as a friend was a hell of a piano player. He also came from a family of naturally strong and muscular people. Someone told me this once as I was helping my friend change the transmission in his car. He was under the car and loosening bolts while holding the tranny up with one hand. A 4 speed manual and not a heavy automatic. Still not like toting a loaf of bread. I pointed under the car and said, "why don't you tell him that, he plays piano, and damned well. I reckon that makes him damned gay".

My friend made a living as a piano player and piano instructor for several years. Only gave it up when he opened a gym which was hugely successful. Making him pretty wealthy. The irony to me was not only was he not gay, neither his gym nor his piano playing was something you could teach other people. It was genetic gift for him. He pretty much never exercised. Yet could lift weights and such that few people who didn't train could keep up with. He also can break it down real nice on the ivory keys with a moments notice though he hasn't really practiced it in years. Such people are put here on earth to humble us regular folks.
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Mark Levine - The Jazz Piano Book

It's very good, and Mark breaks it down better than anybody's done before.
The very best book of its kind, there's simply nothing that comes close IMO.
Check it out!

Going through the book in of itself might give you impetus and inspiration to practice and give fuel for your quest.
Old 9th April 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks guys, I`m looking forward to this and dreading it at the same time. I`m afraid i`m going to lose my "soul" is my biggest concern.
Old 20th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaMusic View Post
Thanks guys, I`m looking forward to this and dreading it at the same time. I`m afraid i`m going to lose my "soul" is my biggest concern.
Have you started the lessons yet or are you still considering?
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Have you started the lessons yet or are you still considering?
No I need to catch the enrollment date right, I should know these things. Now it`s probably going to have to wait until Fall semester. I noticed some require you take a music theory class along with it. In other words "reading music while you play". Ugh, I loathe reading music, but have always been so envious of people who can take a sheet of music and just go to town. I`ve been trying to learn songs through youtube videos, so I`ve been trying "In the Summertime"(disaster it`s really hard IMO) so I`ve been trying Sara Bareilles "Love Song" cause it`s a little easier. I can do Charlie Brown pretty good when I`m warmed up, but that`s a pretty difficult song to play for me because all of the right hand action going on, all the variations. The stuff I write, I can play fine. Maybe because it`s easy.

Oh what the hell, this is me playing piano and singing...my singing career is OVER BTW. Someone else does that now. But I can play a little.

https://app.box.com/s/f889b2aa9c3d80194ae9
Old 21st April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaMusic View Post
No I need to catch the enrollment date right, I should know these things. Now it`s probably going to have to wait until Fall semester. I noticed some require you take a music theory class along with it. In other words "reading music while you play". Ugh, I loathe reading music, but have always been so envious of people who can take a sheet of music and just go to town. I`ve been trying to learn songs through youtube videos, so I`ve been trying "In the Summertime"(disaster it`s really hard IMO) so I`ve been trying Sara Bareilles "Love Song" cause it`s a little easier. I can do Charlie Brown pretty good when I`m warmed up, but that`s a pretty difficult song to play for me because all of the right hand action going on, all the variations. The stuff I write, I can play fine. Maybe because it`s easy.

Oh what the hell, this is me playing piano and singing...my singing career is OVER BTW. Someone else does that now. But I can play a little.

https://app.box.com/s/f889b2aa9c3d80194ae9
Kool tune, thx for sharing. Maybe you could take some internet lessons while you wait for enrollment. Might make it easier for when you take the actual course.

The Best Learn Piano Online of 2017 | Top Ten Reviews

All the best!
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Kool tune, thx for sharing. Maybe you could take some internet lessons while you wait for enrollment. Might make it easier for when you take the actual course.

The Best Learn Piano Online of 2017 | Top Ten Reviews

All the best!
Thanks!
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

I once bought a Yamaha C7 and as a result, I had to buy a house to put it in. I was taking some theory classes at the community college and had become friends with the head of the music department. He agreed to take me on as a student but I had to practice 2 hours a day. I did this for well over a year but hated it. It was a lot of Hannon exercises and sight reading which I sucked at. One day I said enough. I wanted to enjoy myself and simply was not.

I won't fault my instructor here because it was really about me and what I wanted. I had a tough IT job that was wearing me out and 2 hours a day of added responsibility was just too much for me.

I eventually sold the piano and I regret having done so. I also wish I had been in a better place as I would like to have really learned the instrument. I was not aspiring to be a concert pianist but I wanted to be able to compose songs with interesting piano accompaniment and not just octave base notes to chord in the right hand.

I am a guitar player but have to say I think the best instrument is the piano and looking back I wish I had really gone after it.
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
I once bought a Yamaha C7 and as a result, I had to buy a house to put it in. I was taking some theory classes at the community college and had become friends with the head of the music department. He agreed to take me on as a student but I had to practice 2 hours a day. I did this for well over a year but hated it. It was a lot of Hannon exercises and sight reading which I sucked at. One day I said enough. I wanted to enjoy myself and simply was not.

I won't fault my instructor here because it was really about me and what I wanted. I had a tough IT job that was wearing me out and 2 hours a day of added responsibility was just too much for me.

I eventually sold the piano and I regret having done so. I also wish I had been in a better place as I would like to have really learned the instrument. I was not aspiring to be a concert pianist but I wanted to be able to compose songs with interesting piano accompaniment and not just octave base notes to chord in the right hand.

I am a guitar player but have to say I think the best instrument is the piano and looking back I wish I had really gone after it.
Yeah, I hear ya. I had a piano teacher in middle school that was an incredible piano player, but couldn`t get, or wanted to, how I played guitar. It really goes both ways. I did love it when he got out the harmonica holder and did a flawless version of "Piano Man".
Old 22nd April 2017
Gear Addict

Actually the easiest way to learn isn't to learn scales or chords and all that, but rather, learn how to play songs you already know. I remember when I started out I picked Bohemian Rhapsody (cheesy I know, but I was young) apart partly by ear and partly by looking it up, and from it I got loads of chords and scales without ever it feeling like actual hard work because I was having fun. I know pretty much every scale, chord and inversion now and I learned it all gradually from playing actual songs (save for the obvious mostly useless modal scales like phrygian etc. those I had to look up)

If you're having fun you're learning much quicker. Also, play in a band with people who are better than you, you learn 50x faster that way.
Old 24th May 2017
Gear Head

Learn chords, then learn classical theory, then do improv with variations to train the ear.
Old 26th May 2017
Here for the gear

Kerala holidayso package like this article so much.Holidays are the most happiest day in every body .
Old 9th July 2017
Gear Head

Learned how to read sheet, and all scales back in 2014 but haven't gotten a chance to get to an actual school for it yet either.
One of these days I just might.
Old 24th November 2017
Lives for gear

Find a teacher that will adapt to your needs. Many piano teachers come from a classical background and you are likely looking at lots of Hanon exercises and such while if you can find a teacher to teach you theory and chord voicing you'll be able to put that to use immediately. If you want to become an accomplished pianist then the Hanon/Sight Reading path is the way to go but I suspect you want to approach this more from a song writing perspective.
Old 24th November 2018
Here for the gear

This should be interesting and will probably be useful for you. I love how the piano sounds, but I can't play it.
Old 22nd December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
Find a teacher that will adapt to your needs.
Bingo.

If you want to be "classically trained" more power to you, but IMO it's hugely overrated, far from the only way, and for some definitely not the best way...for me in fact it was horrifically boring. I quit and learned far more tinkering on my own, learning songs and styles I liked etc. To this day my music reading skills are minimal and that's fine because I only play by ear anyway. I'm no Beethoven but pretty good at picking up songs and won't embarrass myself at a keyboard. Well unless I'm drinking. I shudder to think how many talented kids gave it up because some by-the-book teacher bludgeoned them to death with practicing scales and so on.
Old 22nd December 2018
Lives for gear

Youtube has tons of stuff on numerous styles. Mostly what I use now. Started on a “play Funk Keyboards” book that I still use now and then. I have a sickness for transposing now...take a chord progression, transpose into every key...or a handful.

Most cool solos and riffs are pentatonic/scaled. Not all...but alot. The majority of the time when i have figured out things by ear that peaked my interest it was pentatonic scale. You will sound like you know what your doing hehe.

Jeff Schneiders youtube is great for cool chord progressions and function. Neo soul.

Personally do not like the sound of piano mu h. Love rhodes though.

I never got around to learning. many songs though. Rather mess with chords and riffs. Seems like too much work to learn covers hehe.
Old 22nd December 2018
Lives for gear
MMMM....Me too...

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Bingo.

If you want to be "classically trained" more power to you, but IMO it's hugely overrated, far from the only way, and for some definitely not the best way...for me in fact it was horrifically boring. I quit and learned far more tinkering on my own, learning songs and styles I liked etc. To this day my music reading skills are minimal and that's fine because I only play by ear anyway. I'm no Beethoven but pretty good at picking up songs and won't embarrass myself at a keyboard. Well unless I'm drinking. I shudder to think how many talented kids gave it up because some by-the-book teacher bludgeoned them to death with practicing scales and so on.
Yeah. I took two years of piano with a teacher who only would take me on if I agreed to practice 2 hours every day. I did it but the reality is that I never wanted to be a virtuoso classically trained guy. I wanted to be good enough to write songs and play interesting supportive piano. Not just bass octaves with the left hand as so many do. My influences were more between Jackson Browne and Elton John.

I also wonder how many talents got lost to the rigors and boredom of Hannon exercises. I;m not putting down being trained properly but that works for certain folks and not for others as you have pointed out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search