The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cloudlifter+interface vs Earthworks pre noise?
Old 12th April 2015
Lives for gear

Cloudlifter+interface vs Earthworks pre noise?

Hello I'm interested in buying either the Earthworks single chan mic pre or simply adding a cloudlifter to an existing setup.

And now I wonder what will be most noise free at high gain levels.

I have an ok interface and I also have a Rane mic pre, the Rane however has a switchmode psu that I'm not happy with. (I produces high noise peaks starting at 17khz, and its within spec. I does that because I'm in a 220v country and not using the phantom power.) I figured I could use the Rane to feed a cloudlifter and get rid of its hf noise. Still not ideal since I would only be moving the noise peak up a few khz.

The other alternative is to get a known good pre such as the earthworks.

Or use the phantom power of my interface and a cloudlifter.

I would like the lowest noise amplification money can buy on earth today from my EV dynamic mic.

Would the Earthworks be lower noise at 60 db gain vs any good interface + Cloudlifter at 60db gain??

I'm posting this here since I guess people here have experience with the Earthworks amp.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search