The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New 500 series stuff day...AML EZ1073 500!
Old 11th April 2015
Gear Head

New 500 series stuff day...AML EZ1073 500!

Just received our pair of these incredible boxes - so happy with the tones we're getting. The preamps are great, lovely big Neve tone, but the real joy is having the EQs - slap these across the mix bus and bam, instant awesome. Only need a little to get a lot of extra punch. Insane high pass, love it. The amount of iron can't hurt either :-)

Very cool, thanks Colin at AML for building 'em!

P
Old 11th April 2015
Gear Addict

Good stuff! These units certainly receive rave reviews.

I'm eyeing one of these up myself but I have just landed the portico II channel, so I'm still neve'd up at the moment
Old 11th April 2015
Gear Head

Yeah Portico stuff is awesome, very different sound from AML though. Much cleaner, less of a vintage coloured sound. I love what this pre does on a rock vocal so much
P
Old 11th April 2015
Congrats man! Welcome to the club!
Old 11th April 2015
Lives for gear

Yeah I agree welcome to the Club. I love my AML 1073 500s. I have a number of channels of them and they sound great.

Congrats on your new gear.
Old 11th April 2015
Gear Head

Thanks dudes! Trev, not quite at your level of AML club domination but very much loving being a newbie member :-) Now, how about those 54F50s... It's a slippery slope!
P
Old 11th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by therecordlabel View Post
Thanks dudes! Trev, not quite at your level of AML club domination but very much loving being a newbie member :-) Now, how about those 54F50s... It's a slippery slope!
P
Step away from your wallet man! It's a slippery slope to sonic nirvana... ;-)
Old 11th April 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Step away from your wallet man! It's a slippery slope to sonic nirvana... ;-)
My head says no, but my ears say BUY EVERYTHING. Common problem...
Old 11th April 2015
i an AML1073 on the way ... so excited
I owned and sold BAE 1073 MP as well as a 1073lb and gap73.
I liked the LB the best believe it or not gap 73 second - the bae just didnt do it for me - but a good piece for sure much more solid sounding then the gap, but not the kind of creaminess in the mids that I associate with a Neve.

wallet woes.....is the danger of our lot
Old 11th April 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahasandi View Post
i an AML1073 on the way ... so excited
I owned and sold BAE 1073 MP as well as a 1073lb and gap73.
I liked the LB the best believe it or not gap 73 second - the bae just didnt do it for me - but a good piece for sure much more solid sounding then the gap, but not the kind of creaminess in the mids that I associate with a Neve.

wallet woes.....is the danger of our lot
I've used a 1073LB extensively, recorded an album with a very well known artist through it in fact :-). The AML is slightly beefier with a smoother top end to my ears. Plus it has EQ for less dough than the LB. No brainier!
P
Old 12th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just received our pair of these incredible boxes - so happy with the tones we're getting. The preamps are great, lovely big Neve tone, but the real joy is having the EQs - slap these across the mix bus and bam, instant awesome. Only need a little to get a lot of extra punch. Insane high pass, love it. The amount of iron can't hurt either :-) Very cool, thanks Colin at AML for building 'em!P
The AML stuff is fantastic but you should think about a LITTLE LABS Redcloud attenuator to control your output levels (they can stereo link in pairs when you need exact level matching.) I think you'll find they sound even BETTER than they do now when you can fine tune the gain-staging at the output.
Old 12th April 2015
Noa
Gear Addict

Or better yet, match the ez1073 to a Missing Link with Red Dots.

I've had this combo for a year now. Before this, I wondered if the Neve sound was really what I was after. Now I know.

Compared to other Neve clones, this was the most magical to me.
Old 12th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa View Post
Or better yet, match the ez1073 to a Missing Link with Red Dots.

I've had this combo for a year now. Before this, I wondered if the Neve sound was really what I was after. Now I know.

Compared to other Neve clones, this was the most magical to me.
Not bad! More of a "full console" strip sound that way...though you're blending with an API tone...which at the end of the day actually might be great.
Old 12th April 2015
Noa
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
Not bad! More of a "full console" strip sound that way...though you're blending with an API tone...which at the end of the day actually might be great.
Do the Little Labs have a transparent effect on the pre? Or do they color the sound?
Old 12th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa View Post
Do the Little Labs have a transparent effect on the pre? Or do they color the sound?
The Little Labs don't alter the sound at all as long as you stick with quality cabling (the shorter the length the better.) You just get an output attentuator in place of a fader on a channel strip essentially.

So you can push things harder with the gain and trim...or keep things cleaner but also have hotter level going out.

The CAPI unit is GREAT though...and mimics the circuitry of the fader section on an API console and has completely stepped controls for perfect recall...I bet it sounds pretty rich. However the Little Labs can cover the needs of up to 8 units...and every pair of units can be stereo ganged to a single knob.
Old 12th April 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
The AML stuff is fantastic but you should think about a LITTLE LABS Redcloud attenuator to control your output levels (they can stereo link in pairs when you need exact level matching.) I think you'll find they sound even BETTER than they do now when you can fine tune the gain-staging at the output.
Well that would be cool, but we're tracking through our DDA desk so there's quite a few places to bring the level back down - admittedly it's transformerless but I have line level input pots and faders to play with there. I'm actually thinking of s pair of CAPI VP28s down the line, they'd be useful for that job too!
P
Old 12th April 2015
Alternatively you could just insert a fader pre output. Colin explained exactly how to do it on another thread somewhere. The advantage of that is the fader is pre output transformer, just like on a real Neve.
Old 12th April 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Alternatively you could just insert a fader pre output. Colin explained exactly how to do it on another thread somewhere. The advantage of that is the fader is pre output transformer, just like on a real Neve.
Yeah man saw that on your mixer build thread - very cool. If we rack up some more I might consider making a sidecar too...
P
Old 12th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah man saw that on your mixer build thread - very cool. If we rack up some more I might consider making a sidecar too...
P
Here is link AML ez1073-500

I use a pair of missing link with my ez1073 but am really keen on the fader mod. It mentions PCB rev 5. Anyone know about REV 4?

Anyone actually done the mod that can post info? Thanks
Old 12th April 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
Here is link AML ez1073-500

I use a pair of missing link with my ez1073 but am really keen on the fader mod. It mentions PCB rev 5. Anyone know about REV 4?

Anyone actually done the mod that can post info? Thanks
Interesting - reading Colin's remarks about converter levels is informative also. Actually our Ferrofish boxes can take a lot of level without a problem plus the input gains are adjustable in small increments...
P
Old 12th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting - reading Colin's remarks about converter levels is informative also. Actually our Ferrofish boxes can take a lot of level without a problem plus the input gains are adjustable in small increments...
P
Agreed. But I am so curious to see what sweetness the fader mod can squeeze out.
Old 12th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
Agreed. But I am so curious to see what sweetness the fader mod can squeeze out.
Muchos sweetos
Old 12th April 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Muchos sweetos
Dammit man I'm trying to talk myself out of more gear here!
:-)
P
Old 12th April 2015
Quote:
Dammit man I'm trying to talk myself out of more gear here!
:-)
P
ok. Then don't do it. You'll hate it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search