The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Beesneez vs Flea
Old 5th September 2015
Gear Maniac

I've had numerous BeesNeez mics and have 3 Flea mics. Flea is a much better company and mic than BeesNeez. Its not even close.
Flea mics sound the best and they are much more reliable than beesneez.
Old 14th September 2015
Here for the gear
I recieved a T3 today that was an upgrade that Ben offered me, $1600 in my favour. I would like to share my experience of dealing with Beesneez and my first impression of the T3.

I originally purchased an Elly that was on sale. It didn't arrive in good working order. I sent an email the night I recieved it to let Ben and Veronica know. They both replied to me the next morning and Ben offered me the upgrade to a T3. I am more than happy with their level of customer service. Their reply was prompt and the offer of an upgrade worth $1600 was very generous. Will I buy mics from Beezneez in the future? Absolutely. These guys clearly care about their customers. If I had gone for a mass produced microphone and had the same problem, would a large company make up for a mistake by bumping me up to a mic worth 2.5 times what I payed? No way.

The thing is, I was pissed off to have to wait for the postage back and forth and my thinking, clouded by frustration and degenerating to the level of a spoilt brat was considering selling the T3 and buying a $600 Rode or AT LDC and coming out $1000 in front. After I plugged in the T3 today and turned up the preamp all such mercenary ideas vanished very quickly. I did not have much time to do anything so I just set the mic up on a stand that happened to be behind my floor tom at shoulder height. The T3 was off axis pointing back towards the recorder (AW4416). I used a Summit Audio 2ba-221 pre with the impedance dial set to 1 o'clock. I jumped on the kit and played for a minute. When I listened back I heard a very robust and punchy recording that sounded like my kit. It felt good to listen to. The transients were all there. The signal responded very well to EQ. I then turned on my guitar amp which was on the ground about two meters away and recorded a couple of distorted guitar tracks with the mic still up at shoulder height. The guitars sounded great with plenty of presence and articulation of the notes, again the T3 captured the amp just like it sounds sitting in the room playing through it. I did a scratch vocal just to see how well it sat over the other tracks. It sat there ok with no EQ or compression, unlike my other cheap mics that get lost without a bunch of processing. I would have to be a total moron and asshole to sell this mic and buy a mass produced model. Beesneez have exceeded all my expectations. This is the best mic I have ever owned and it makes me excited to think about playing and recording my music knowing how much better my recordings are going to be from now on.

Now, this thread is in high end and I am a home recordist. My previous 'best mic' was a Rode NT1000 which wasn't anything special so obviously the T3 is a huge step up which is why it's made such an impression on me. Bear in mind if you regularly work with 'high end' mics that my experience of the quality jump is going to be far more pronounced and much less nuanced than yours. But in saying that, ten years ago when I was at film school, for two years I regularly used Neumann, AKG and Schoepps microphones so I know what a good quality microphone sounds like and the T3 gave me that same satisfied feeling while listening to it.

I know nothing of the Flea u47. All I know is I have read a fair bit about the character of the u47 in articles over the years and there is all this talk of how they sound life like but a little larger than life without sounding hyped and perfect for rock and pop. That was exactly my impression of the T3. It produced a rocking demo as a badly placed room mic. I cannot wait to have the time to properly record a song using this mic close and running it through better EQ and compressors than the AW4416. I have never used a u47 so I cannot offer you a comparisson. I can say with confidence that the T3 is an excellent sounding microphone and Beesneez looked after me really well. I am unsure of which capsule is in my T3. It doesn't matter to me. All I care about is how much better this mic sounds than anything I've ever owned before.

I will never sell this mic. She's a keeper!
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear
Update... Ben sent me updated capsules just as he said he would. Another plus for customer service. Furthermore, my T1 absolutely stands up next to original U47s to which I have compared it to side by side. Never used a Flea. Once again, I think the T1 is clear step up from Arabella.
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

Another cut I did today.

T1 on Vocal.
Elly Fets on Piano.

https://soundcloud.com/stefan-nowak/...my-mind-190915
Old 23rd September 2015
Lives for gear

Hi there. Thanks for your generous post. I was sad to see that the ELLY was damaged in the post. Sometimes we can't avoid a rough postman. Your kind words mean a lot. Enjoy the t3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab01 View Post
I recieved a T3 today that was an upgrade that Ben offered me, $1600 in my favour. I would like to share my experience of dealing with Beesneez and my first impression of the T3.

I originally purchased an Elly that was on sale. It didn't arrive in good working order. I sent an email the night I recieved it to let Ben and Veronica know. They both replied to me the next morning and Ben offered me the upgrade to a T3. I am more than happy with their level of customer service. Their reply was prompt and the offer of an upgrade worth $1600 was very generous. Will I buy mics from Beezneez in the future? Absolutely. These guys clearly care about their customers. If I had gone for a mass produced microphone and had the same problem, would a large company make up for a mistake by bumping me up to a mic worth 2.5 times what I payed? No way.

The thing is, I was pissed off to have to wait for the postage back and forth and my thinking, clouded by frustration and degenerating to the level of a spoilt brat was considering selling the T3 and buying a $600 Rode or AT LDC and coming out $1000 in front. After I plugged in the T3 today and turned up the preamp all such mercenary ideas vanished very quickly. I did not have much time to do anything so I just set the mic up on a stand that happened to be behind my floor tom at shoulder height. The T3 was off axis pointing back towards the recorder (AW4416). I used a Summit Audio 2ba-221 pre with the impedance dial set to 1 o'clock. I jumped on the kit and played for a minute. When I listened back I heard a very robust and punchy recording that sounded like my kit. It felt good to listen to. The transients were all there. The signal responded very well to EQ. I then turned on my guitar amp which was on the ground about two meters away and recorded a couple of distorted guitar tracks with the mic still up at shoulder height. The guitars sounded great with plenty of presence and articulation of the notes, again the T3 captured the amp just like it sounds sitting in the room playing through it. I did a scratch vocal just to see how well it sat over the other tracks. It sat there ok with no EQ or compression, unlike my other cheap mics that get lost without a bunch of processing. I would have to be a total moron and asshole to sell this mic and buy a mass produced model. Beesneez have exceeded all my expectations. This is the best mic I have ever owned and it makes me excited to think about playing and recording my music knowing how much better my recordings are going to be from now on.

Now, this thread is in high end and I am a home recordist. My previous 'best mic' was a Rode NT1000 which wasn't anything special so obviously the T3 is a huge step up which is why it's made such an impression on me. Bear in mind if you regularly work with 'high end' mics that my experience of the quality jump is going to be far more pronounced and much less nuanced than yours. But in saying that, ten years ago when I was at film school, for two years I regularly used Neumann, AKG and Schoepps microphones so I know what a good quality microphone sounds like and the T3 gave me that same satisfied feeling while listening to it.

I know nothing of the Flea u47. All I know is I have read a fair bit about the character of the u47 in articles over the years and there is all this talk of how they sound life like but a little larger than life without sounding hyped and perfect for rock and pop. That was exactly my impression of the T3. It produced a rocking demo as a badly placed room mic. I cannot wait to have the time to properly record a song using this mic close and running it through better EQ and compressors than the AW4416. I have never used a u47 so I cannot offer you a comparisson. I can say with confidence that the T3 is an excellent sounding microphone and Beesneez looked after me really well. I am unsure of which capsule is in my T3. It doesn't matter to me. All I care about is how much better this mic sounds than anything I've ever owned before.

I will never sell this mic. She's a keeper!
Old 18th November 2015
Here for the gear

I bought a K7 and a C12 capsule from Ben. He and Veronica were going back and forth between the U.S. and Australia nursing a sick child at the time. The capsules took a long time to make (as they do with other builders). To be fair, that's because the C12 was a new offering, and I elected to wait for both capsules to ship at the same time. Veronica was extremely polite and prompt with every email. She is really great. I would rate the customer service with Beesneez as being at the highest possible quality (above and beyond). The K7 had a slight issue that most likely did not affect the sound, but I sent it back anyways and got a perfect one in return no questions asked. I recently installed it in an MK47, and it sounds excellent.

The C12 was in the delivery box outside on the covered porch in 40 degree weather for a couple of hours when it was delivered. When I first took it out of the package and looked at it, one side had a slight wrinkle, but it completely went away after it warmed up in the house. It would be interesting to know if this is normal. At any rate, I decided it was most likely OK and kept it. When I install it, I'll post a comparison between it and the Tim Campbell CK12 so others can get an idea of how they differ in sonic qualities.
Old 11th December 2015
Lives for gear

Probably around a year ago (or more) now, I wanted a couple of solid-state condensers around, and decided to get the Beesneez Isobel, after checking out some of their other models at a friend's. I think that the unibody style of their studio line allows them to hit some price points that are pretty good, while making a quality product. The body work on the upper lines are even better.

The mic itself sounds great; pretty much exactly what you would want from a k47-esque solid-state. Some bite, but not TOO much. When I put it through some of my tube preamps, it's funny how close the feel gets to some of my higher end tube mics.

The main thing that was annoying though, was that the mic was delivered in a color different than pictured, and there was a little machining mark at the very bottom of the base. I would guess that the body must be put in some kind of clamp at some point in the construction. Also - battleship grey, vs the really nice blue color that had been pictured. For me, every small detail adds up to whether I really want to buy something or not.

It was one of those crappy scenarios where you have something that DOES sound good, but not really what you thought it was going to be. I know they would have done a return, but I needed to use it at that time. Ehh.

Anyway, I would suggest Beesneez mics generally, but it was kind of annoying for the mic to not be 100% right. I kind of expect a manufacturer to just do something to make it right.

The mic itself sounds GREAT though.
Old 10th July 2016
Lives for gear

(I wanted to edit the comment above to include this, but I guess ability to edit times out after some period of time.)

Funny enough, after time I had realized that the mic described above had a wobble in the attachment of the capsule mount - maybe something that happened in shipping or from a dealer inspecting the mic, which didn't pop up on initial vocal testing.

I also had noticed that - I wasn't getting premature alzheimer's - in fact, the description of the Isobel mic originally was with a CK12. I'd been initially surprised to realize it was a neumann-esque type capsule.

Anyway, so far Beesneez has been responsive in getting something sorted out.

Over the years, I have had a lot of little issues pop up with all sorts of gear manufacturers. It's humans making the things, usually at least! :-) And then there are problems that can happen with rough handling in shipping. Sometimes things wind up just having a weird "murphy's law" energy around them. I still have quite a high regard, considering what I've seen/heard come out of the shop.

If you don't let yourself get agitated, and go through the right channels, people will usually take care of you.
Old 25th July 2016
Gear Addict
Just curious...would the Arabella and Manley Gold Reference be similar sounding mics...old school influenced with a slightly modern edge?
Old 25th July 2016
Lives for gear
Nope

Polar opposites

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr1012 View Post
Just curious...would the Arabella and Manley Gold Reference be similar sounding mics...old school influenced with a slightly modern edge?
Old 25th July 2016
Lives for gear

Exactly. ^

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search