The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools HDX 16 x 16 Analog and Digital out simultatneously?
Old 9th April 2015
Gear Head

Pro Tools HDX 16 x 16 Analog and Digital out simultatneously?

We have an AWS 924 console and two 16 x 16 Analog I/O HDX interfaces.

We also have a little Hear headphone distro system that uses ADAT.

So we can take 8 channels of ADAT out of the 2nd interface into the Hear system and the user can then adjust the balance of those 8 tracks to their liking.

But someone's telling me we can't use 8 of the Analog outputs of that interface and the 8 Digital at the same time. IOW, they're saying by using the optical out (lightpipe connector, not a digital card) it disables the 16 analog outputs.

My thought was to send direct, 24 AWS channels directly into interface 1 16 ins, pl;us the first 8 ins of the 2nd interface. Then we'd return those same channels back to the console.

I was thinking we could then still send, from the 2nd interface, the toslink signal down to the hear system, which would take the place of the last 8 (or first 8 however it's configured) analog channels.

I was also thinking about the 924s 8 bus matix, which I could send to the last 8 analog ins of the 2nd interface.

I was thinking I could conceivably then route in PT so that if I sent say, channels 1, 2, 5, and 8 on the console to Sub Bus 1, those could all be summed to channel 1 of the digital out. In essence, this means analog ins 9-16 would go to digital outs 9-16 on the 2nd interface, while the console's 24 DO would go to analog ins 1-16 on interface 1, and 1-8 on interface 2, and the "tape" returns would come back the same way.

Obviously we'd still have the ability to route anything in PT as well (but it would be darn handy to use the 8 bus matrix on the 924).

But, if using the ADAT/Toslink/SPDIF port de-activates all 16 analog outs (as they're implying it does), I'd need some other kind of 8 input to ADAT converter...
Old 10th April 2015
Gear Head
Yes, what you are being told is correct..
Old 10th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruslan Y View Post
Yes, what you are being told is correct..
Hmm. No I don't think that's correct.

Each HDio has 16 input and 16 output paths. these can be made up from any combination of channels - analogue, AES, AESenc (the solitary XLR connection on the back), SPDIF, and Lightpipe.

In pairs in the IO setup, you can choose what goes where - in pairs.

Normally you'd run Analogue IP 1+2 to input paths 1+2 - but there's nothing to stop you choosing physical inputs 3+4 if you need to for some reason.

You can definitely choose AES in place of analogue in pairs; I'm not at our studio right now, but I'm sure you can choose Lightpipe in pairs too. You'd need to make sure it was configured to ADAT and not SPDIF optical of course.

You'd be limited to 48k this way.

The HEAR system has analogue in too of course (we have one). I don't find the latency of an additional ADDA chain to be a problem. There'd be no reason why you couldn't have both analogue AND ADAT hooked up - use the ADAT for 48k and below sessions, and the analogue if you ever have to track 96k.
Old 10th April 2015
Deleted 7f9cade
If you have two 16 I/Os you can have 32 simultaneous paths open during playback. Either input or output.

Having a combination of digital and analogue paths is not a issue.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search