The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cliff Mics RM1 Active Ribbon...
Old 9th April 2015
Gear Maniac

Cliff Mics RM1 Active Ribbon...

... anyone has one? Thoughts, opinions?

http://www.cliffmics.com/store/rm1

I was at a friend's studio the other day and he pulled it out of the cabinet and asked me to try it. So, I did and I was very impressed. I recorded some drums and used it as a mono room mic, I think it may have been the best mono room sound I ever got... nice detail, very balanced with all the sounds represented well. Big, fat sound too.

I put a pop filter in front of it and tried it on a vocal and had the same experience I've had with a good 44, I kept moving away from the mic due to the huge proximity effect. I think I ended up about 8 feet away from it when it finally balanced out, haha! Actually with it about two feet away, positioned above my head and angled down it was just about perfect, but fat... real fat.

Killer room mic for guitars with small(er) amps. I tried a '54 ES-5 into a tweed Deluxe and an old Strat into a bf Princeton Reverb. The mic was about 15 feet away in the room's "sweet spot"... excellent results.

All in all, this thing's a winner!

Last edited by 58Roadrunner; 9th April 2015 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: forgot link
Old 13th April 2015
Lives for gear

I've been wondering about this mic... found it when I was drooling over some Fearn stuff on Doug's website - he helped introduce it at AES last year (there are photos on the Fearn FB page). To me, that's a serious recommendation.

It's not cheap, and it's an innovative product in an area where traditionalism reigns... but Royer has made it work.

Anyway, has anyone used one aside from Roadrunner?

Cliff Mics RM1 Active Ribbon Microphone — Cliff Mics
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search