The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve Genesys from Guitar Center DAW Software
Old 7th April 2015
Lives for gear
Neve Genesys from Guitar Center

I recently purchased a used Neve Genesys from Guitar Center in LA. It was the ex-Capitol Studios console. Wanted to document the experience and install here for all who are interested. 16 x 1073 pre's, Total Recall, and Neve Encore automation and all A/D D/A converters installed. No stand though.

Here's the arrival to Athens, GA. Well packed. It's a heavy beast.
Attached Thumbnails
Neve Genesys from Guitar Center-img_0852.jpg   Neve Genesys from Guitar Center-img_0858.jpg   Neve Genesys from Guitar Center-img_0861.jpg   Neve Genesys from Guitar Center-img_0863.jpg   Neve Genesys from Guitar Center-img_0865.jpg  

Last edited by mltamisin; 7th April 2015 at 05:03 PM..
Old 7th April 2015
Lives for gear
Now for the desk modifications...... DB25 patchbay will be moved to the back. I'd highly recommend the DB25 patchbay as it makes the connections so much easier than any other method. The AES/EBU DB25's are different as 1-4 are "receive" and 5-8 are "transmit" so the other end of the DB25 has to crossover. I can't seem to find an economical cable other than Hosa but they stopped making them.
Attached Thumbnails
Neve Genesys from Guitar Center-img_0875.jpg   Neve Genesys from Guitar Center-img_0877.jpg   Neve Genesys from Guitar Center-img_0878.jpg   Neve Genesys from Guitar Center-img_0880.jpg  
Old 7th April 2015
Thats absolutely beautiful. One of these days I hope to get something of that caliber! Congrats on the find!
Old 7th April 2015
Congratulations!

From LA to Athens... really cool.

R.
Old 7th April 2015
Lives for gear

Awesome.

Ultimately, in the end, Hosa cables show up somewhere. They are like cockroaches, impossible to eradicate.
Old 7th April 2015
Lives for gear
Haha! GC found the stand at Capitol and its on its way. Sweet! I was about to have to build one.
Old 7th April 2015
Lives for gear
Awesome, does it have EQ/dynamics?
Old 7th April 2015
Lives for gear

LOL, that is unquestionably the nicest piece of gear Guitar Center has ever sold!!! Was it next to a row of Behringer consoles?
Old 7th April 2015
7+1
Lives for gear

Congrats
Old 8th April 2015
Looks amazing! I know I'd love to come visit...

For what it's worth I had Redco make me an AES DB-25 crossover a couple years back. Don't remember the exact cost (though I'm sure the Hosa is cheaper!)

Congrats on the great GC find!
Old 8th April 2015
Lives for gear
Stop by and check it out anytime. No EQ's or comp's. Found out the console actually has 8 x 1073's and 8 x 88R's on the pre's. Prior to testing I was totally let down. It was clearly advertised as 16 1073's. Ouch! A younger me would've sent it back just on principle but I tested it first.......... and the 88R side pleasantly surprised me. Not quite as beefy as the 1073's, as expected. Big, but not massive. Way better than my SSL preamp. The 1073 side sounds massive. Bigger than my API's with just as much punch, and I'm a huge API fan. I normally use all API on the drums. I listened to the tracks on separate occasions to make sure my brain was set right. The 88R side can hang for sure.

As I delved deeper I've discovered there's a special USB to Ethernet cable that connects the consoles automation computer with the converters. AMS-Neve wants $120 shipped to the US. I bought a USB to Ethernet adapter in the meantime but am hesistant to actually hook it up. Neve said it's a proprietary cable. I asked for the pinout. I can easily make an Ethernet cable and swap whatever wires need to be changed. Total cost $20, including the adapter. I hope they can get me the pinout.
Old 8th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrulesmore View Post
LOL, that is unquestionably the nicest piece of gear Guitar Center has ever sold!!! Was it next to a row of Behringer consoles?
LOL!!!! That is awesome!!! Made my morning!
Old 8th April 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mltamisin View Post
As I delved deeper I've discovered there's a special USB to Ethernet cable that connects the consoles automation computer with the converters. AMS-Neve wants $120 shipped to the US. I bought a USB to Ethernet adapter in the meantime but am hesistant to actually hook it up. Neve said it's a proprietary cable. I asked for the pinout. I can easily make an Ethernet cable and swap whatever wires need to be changed. Total cost $20, including the adapter. I hope they can get me the pinout.
Nope, look in the manual - it's a USB to serial of some sort, RJ45 doesn't always mean Ethernet! $120 doesn't seem so bad - now is not the time to get cheap!
Old 8th April 2015
Lives for gear
RJ45 is correct. $20 of it is for shipping but I have a problem paying $100 for a $6 cable. In the end I may be forced to pay the 1666% markup. It's the highest I've ever seen for a single RJ45 cable..... but I do need it. Hopefully they can just tell me the pinout. Would be quicker.
Old 8th April 2015
Lives for gear

Beautiful! How much does a desk like that cost?
Old 8th April 2015
Congrats! That's a thing of beauty!!
Old 8th April 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
RJ45 is correct. $20 of it is for shipping but I have a problem paying $100 for a $6 cable. In the end I may be forced to pay the 1666% markup. It's the highest I've ever seen for a single RJ45 cable..... but I do need it. Hopefully they can just tell me the pinout. Would be quicker.
You're missing my point. It ISN'T an ethernet cable, it's a serial cable (I'm guessing RS485) - show me a $6 USB to RS485 adaptor!
Old 9th April 2015
Lives for gear

[sorry for all the dupe posts... the site was being ornery to me last night]

Congrats on the new console! I've fallen head over heels for our Genesys Black since its installation. The sound is really the thing that blows you away first, and all the other goodies are just icing on the cake.

The price on the RJ45 cable doesn't surprise me considering what they ask for their [easily scratched plastic] meter bridge speaker shelves. I liken it to options on a luxury car. Yours, unfortunately, isn't an option if you want that Neve conversion. And trust me, you do!

Last edited by Improv; 9th April 2015 at 02:24 PM..
Old 9th April 2015
Lives for gear

Awesome... Enjoy it!
Old 9th April 2015
Lives for gear
GC is being pretty cool about the preamp situation and they're going to make it right. They've been pretty cool to deal with through the entire sale. Props to GC.
Old 10th April 2015
Lives for gear
Encore fully functional! 24 faders and some Pro Tools control. Awaiting the snakes from GC. 192 Digital just arrived for most of the converters. Special USB to J45 shipped from AMS-Neve. Really need the stand so I can finish outboard connections. Now, gotta find a solution for the keyboard and mouse. Don't want them on the faders. Hmmmm?
Old 10th April 2015
Lives for gear
Testing phase. Its setup to track and mixdown 16 channels currently.
Attached Thumbnails
Neve Genesys from Guitar Center-img_20150410_115311213.jpg  
Old 10th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonengineer View Post
You're missing my point. It ISN'T an ethernet cable, it's a serial cable (I'm guessing RS485) - show me a $6 USB to RS485 adaptor!
Bingo. Don't buy the cable on principal.
Old 12th April 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrulesmore View Post
Old 12th April 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improv View Post

The price on the RJ45 cable doesn't surprise me considering what they ask for their [easily scratched plastic] meter bridge speaker shelves. I liken it to options on a luxury car. Yours, unfortunately, isn't an option if you want that Neve conversion. And trust me, you do!
GC has ridiculous markup in cables, guitars and used items. So, just talk them down, especially since you just made a big purchase. They'll still get over.
Old 2nd May 2015
Lives for gear
I'm getting acquainted with the converters in the console. They are quite open in the high mids/top end. The low end is taking some time to get used to. I'm used to the Apogee AD/DA16X series and this is really different. I noticed right off the cuff the Apogee's are more rock N roll. There's more low mid/low end stuff going on and it softens things up a bit. As a trade off the Apogee's are also more smeared sounding in the mid/lows. When I was conducting preamp tests without the converters the differences with the preamps were immediately apparent going through the Apogees. Not so with the onboard converters. It makes all the preamps sound quite similar. Same with mics. Given the onboard converters sound clearer you'd think the preamp differences would be more apparent but that's not the case. Weird. I'm not sure I like it. I'll have to spend more time tracking & mixing on them. Gonna hold onto the Apogee's till then. On a more disturbing note, my digital monitor converter board is putting out static noises along with my mixdown when going digital mix out. I can't seem to get rid of it. Hopefully I can get this ironed out in the next week. I'm using the Apogee to get the analog mixdown into PT for now. May end up patching the analog mix out to a monitor input and getting it into PT that way using the onboard converters. Need to use just the onboard converters to get a better feel for them.
Old 2nd May 2015
Lives for gear
new setup is coming along though
Attached Thumbnails
Neve Genesys from Guitar Center-dscf5997.jpg   Neve Genesys from Guitar Center-dscf5996.jpg  
Old 4th May 2015
Lives for gear

Very very nice setup !
Old 4th May 2015
I would not use converters that make many microphones and pre's sound same. I like the Apogee softening things a bit so it's not too clinical.
Old 5th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Testing phase. Its setup to track and mixdown 16 channels currently.

I have to ask: What is that tan colored box/device with the duster on top of it??

It almost looks like a cardboard facsimile of a 1980 VHS or Beta machine!

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search