The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EQs for hybrid mixing setup 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 12th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by malekmusic View Post
for what its worth, i sold the hammer because i thought i could eq the 2bus with plugins, uad massive passive etc.. after some time i started missing the hammer and the old sound i could produce, so i bought it again and couldnt be happier. i had 2 electras, but they cant do what the hammer does on the 2bus, and they cant do what a harisson eq does on vocals. in my opinion the harisson and the hammer eq are perfect tools for a hybrid studio.
Thanks for chiming in!

Yep, believe me, if I thought plugins were as good as hardware, this post wouldn't exist. Tactility aside, there is definitely a real difference. Aside from generally sounding more alive, I find hardware EQs manage to change the tonal balance at the same time as not changing it. haha The processed track sounds better and fits better etc, but its original character is preserved underneath it somehow.

At the moment I have a Fredenstein F603A and F603B, which have a proportional Q of 2.0 and .8 respectively, but they have 15db cut/boost, so they can do extreme almost as well as subtle. I can see these being used in series on the way in, as between the pair, you can sort out most imbalances quickly. These units are fairly transparent for the most part, but add a bit of sparkle and shimmer in the mids and highs if you push for it.

I will have the new stereo Rubberbands (pultec style mastering EQ) soon too.

I retail these brands in my web-store, so trying them out is one of the perks I guess, but I will still be shopping around for mix sweeteners!
Old 12th May 2015
Lives for gear

I rock 10 Chandler TG channels, 2 Tone Controls and a Pultec. Wouldn't mind an API 5500 but have no need or desire for any other outboard eq. I do like detented knobs for stereo stems. I do a lot of per track eq ITB and then send sub mixes through stereo eqs on the way to summing - basically using them for flavor and smaller adjustments to get everything sitting just right at the end.

I hear you on sweepable eqs, though, and for the same reason. I like working on SSLs because I can't see the frequency or gain markings so I don't get caught up in them and just turn the knobs until things sound good!
Old 13th May 2015
Lives for gear

Nice rig! I am a big Chandler fan, especially for rock/roots. Maybe one day, when my business takes off ...

Your workflow is similar to how I envision mine (hardware processing stems on way to summing), but if there is any sweetening to be done on an individual track level, I'm aiming to do that OTB too. Kick and snare, for example.

On the way in, I plan on playing around with a couple of Louder Than Liftoff Chop Shops. They are more or less a HPF and LPF with a "focus" knob that enhances a bandpass at the specified centre frequency. In theory, a great tool for quickly defining/sculpting a place in the mix for a track before the mixing stage.

Is time moving faster this year or am I just getting slower? I still haven't finished refurbing my studio, which I started in December last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post
I rock 10 Chandler TG channels, 2 Tone Controls and a Pultec. Wouldn't mind an API 5500 but have no need or desire for any other outboard eq. I do like detented knobs for stereo stems. I do a lot of per track eq ITB and then send sub mixes through stereo eqs on the way to summing - basically using them for flavor and smaller adjustments to get everything sitting just right at the end.

I hear you on sweepable eqs, though, and for the same reason. I like working on SSLs because I can't see the frequency or gain markings so I don't get caught up in them and just turn the knobs until things sound good!
Old 13th May 2015
Lives for gear

I would say get a 500 series rack. I have a 10 space that sits right on the desk, everything is easily adjusted while in the mix sweet spot.

Some things I've used and like:

Api 550A/B - A has more color and vibe, B a little more versatile

A Designs EM-PEQ - great for adding big bottom end with a little sparkle in top

SSL 611 - a versatile cleanish workhorse, just wish the markings were more accurate

Purple ODD - can very quickly mold a sound with these, but more of a broad stroke only tool
Old 13th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
I would say get a 500 series rack. I have a 10 space that sits right on the desk, everything is easily adjusted while in the mix sweet spot.

Some things I've used and like:

Api 550A/B - A has more color and vibe, B a little more versatile

A Designs EM-PEQ - great for adding big bottom end with a little sparkle in top

SSL 611 - a versatile cleanish workhorse, just wish the markings were more accurate

Purple ODD - can very quickly mold a sound with these, but more of a broad stroke only tool
Hey mate, I am definitely into 500 series. I have a 10 space rack in each of the sidecars on either side of my main desk. Hybrid mixing is a dream come true for me - I'm loving it. It also forces me into better mixing habbits like only using my ears when tweaking, relying more on instinct/feel, being more decisive with what I actually do (due to the limited number of hardware instances), and just helps me feel more "at one" with the DAW.

Thanks for the suggestions! They are on my mental list. Cheers
Old 23rd September 2016
Gear Maniac
So what did you get? Just curious.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search