The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Schoeps choices for OH's? Condenser Microphones
Old 5th April 2015
Gear Maniac

Schoeps choices for OH's?

What would you recomend. The MK4 cardio, the wide cardio or the open cardio capsules for CMC6 and OH's?
I might need them for X/Y acoustic guitar micing as well. The room is well tuned but I would probably still prefer some focus.
Old 5th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderix View Post
I might need them for X/Y acoustic guitar micing as well.
In this case the MK4 is the only choice. With wide or open cardiod you cannot do real XY. The directivity is to weak to realise the needed level differences.
Old 5th April 2015
Lives for gear

Yep. They are all good for spaced pair, but for XY you need regular cardiod.

The wide cardiod apparently has a bit more HF lift, which interests me personally as the MK4 is a little dark.
Old 7th April 2015
Lives for gear

love the cmc6 mk4 for detail oriented overheads. space and xy sound fantastic
Old 8th April 2015
Lives for gear

Mk41 is great for xy overhead. It is also even cleaner off axis than the mk4. If it's too "direct" just pull it back further (or up if overhead).
Old 8th April 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnajar View Post
Mk41 is great for xy overhead. It is also even cleaner off axis than the mk4. If it's too "direct" just pull it back further (or up if overhead).
Sounds like this could be a great option for toms as well?
Old 8th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderix View Post
Sounds like this could be a great option for toms as well?
They are but I'd rather have Josephson e22s for toms (more pronounced low end and not as hot output as the Schoeps). For overheads any pattern is fine, I'd prefer mk4 for true x-y. Mk21 are nice too but the room should sound nice. On a side but related note there is nothing wrong with adding or cutting a bit with a quality EQ. In this case I'd concentrate more on the pattern itself and let the EQ handle any hair splitting about anything sounding a little too bright or dark.
Old 8th April 2015
Old 8th April 2015
Lives for gear

In a great sounding space, Mk21 caps are excellent on overheads.

They're also great on close-micing acoustic instruments (still room dependent but less so) - however as others have said, true xy calls for Mk4, or better still Mk41 caps.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search