The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1073-style pre with slightly more open highs/high-mids?
Old 7th April 2015
Lives for gear

Downsides to the MA5..?

No, definitely not. Killer preamp.
I guess I should clarify:

I wasn't borrowing it to evaluate a purchase.
I just needed more preamps for a couple projects, and i borrowed those and a pair of API 512's from my good buddy.
I loved them, and tracked every overdub plus kick and snare on one of the records, just to do it and see how it would sound.

That record turned out great!

I think all I mean to say is if I were in the market for more 500 series Neve type preamps, I would try others before committing.
They had a slight edge to them that made them cut beautifully, but I got *ever so slightly* tired of that edge after awhile.
And like I said, I didn't find the air button very useful.

Don't get me wrong, they flat out rock!

But since we're having a "splitting hairs" discussion, I figured I'd split a couple...

Last edited by Mertmo; 8th April 2015 at 06:05 AM..
Old 7th April 2015
Lives for gear

I dare you to find a bad review of the GTQ2 on this board!

Best,
Chris
Old 8th April 2015
Gear Nut

Awesome follow-up, Mertmo. Thanks! Totally hear where you were coming from now. Also agree that this is a splitting hairs discussion, and that double-edged sword of more high-mid can bring its own issues. Perhaps that explains why the soft yet very present top end of the 1073 has worked so well on records over the years! The MA5 sounds like an excellent timbre to have on the palette, but (though I didn't realize it originally) I probably want something a bit closer to my 1073. Maybe just through EQ, but really feeling the Aurora vibes in the replies right now.

All of this said, I should reiterate that during the discussion I was reminded of the impact of subtractive EQ. One of those things I knew well and have used, but still slips through the cracks sometimes.
Old 8th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertmo View Post
I've not heard Aurora, but I've heard:

AML 1073LB doing vocal demos on a record
custom racked 3045 modules, same as above, vocal demos...
Great River, owned it for years now, use it on literally everything
MA5, had on loan and made a whole record with a pair of them on everything

IMO, the "air" button on the MA5 is too over the top, I never found a use for it. Just too much.

I would say the Great River with the loading button OFF fits the OP's description perfectly (this is how I usually run it),
BUT the mids on the GR are not forward enough to be a home run in this case.
Too polite and refined in the midrange to really nail the Neve thing... in my limited experience with what the "neve thing" is.
IE:, I've never extensively used any true vintage Neve gear.

So, with a healthy pinch of salt, that's my 2 cents

BTW, I love my Great River, it's fantastic. But if I could have my cake and eat it too, I would somehow give it a permanent 1db wide boost at 1k-ish...
Which means I probably want a different preamp, ha ha!
MA5 was damn close to what I want, but not quite.
Haven't had the money to pursue the search any further, and it's not like I can really complain about using the GR. Cause that would be silly.
From what I'm reading this just means you need the EQ-2NV to boost at 1.5-2K. That EQ is MAGIC with those preamps.
Old 8th April 2015
Lives for gear

I believe it!

Someday I'll make that happen
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search