The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New master recorder for my boss.. Suggestions? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 4th April 2015
Lives for gear
New master recorder for my boss.. Suggestions?

My boss is pretty old(-skool)

His Alesis Masterlink died, and poor him had to hook up Pro Tools and record two mixing sessions into it ( from 2" tape of course ) , so I assisted him through it on the phone and it went well.

Now he is on the market for a new master recorder, similar to Masterlink. So basically it will have to: Sound good and burn CD's.

He is eyeing for Tascam SS-CDR200. From what I quickly read, you would use flash cards with it, right? Is it good enough? And if so, what would be the most reliable and highest quality cards to go with it?

Tascam has made good master recorders, I know that, but still the thing looks a bit toyish to my eye. Then again the future is now . . .

What would be your suggestion for the task?

Thanks, and my boss thanks too!

Dear Moderators, I posted this same topic in two different forums, So much gear.. and High end. If you wish to delete the other one, please keep the one in high end. Thanks
Old 4th April 2015
Lives for gear
Wow, it just crystallized to me that they don't make such machines anymore. Well, the SS-CDR200 is like one, but I downloaded the manual and it stated it records 16-bits only . .
Old 4th April 2015
Gear Guru

So what's the issue with mixing to PT?
Old 4th April 2015
Lives for gear
It might sound odd, but he is all five thumbs with computers and has always had an attitude with "modern" technology. He tracks to tape and mixes either from tape or after transferring to Alesis HD24. He was very suspicious about computers for a long time, I'm the one operating PT for him occasionally for slight edits or tuning, and when I do my own works. He got his first cellphone few years ago, and most people here in Finland has had them since mid 90's or so. He's a bit like an old indian. I just discussed with him on the phone (thank god he actually uses one, lol), and we're trying to think through the options.
Old 4th April 2015
Lives for gear
Oh, and who spends 1100€ on a master recorder that won't record 24-bit audio? But yet it records mp3's
Old 4th April 2015
Here for the gear
What about the TASCAM DA-3000?
Old 4th April 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
What about the TASCAM DA-3000?
That's an option now . . Are you using one? If so, maybe you could shed some light on the following.

So far from what I've been investigating, the Tascam HS-20 seems ideal on the workflow point of view: It can mirror two flash cards and easily copy card to a USB drive. Occasionally clients want to take away a rough mix off the days work, so giving them the material on a stick would be convenient enough for both the client and my boss.

I skimmed through the DA-3000's manual and the file transfer/copying was described a bit vaguely.. plus that it has only one card slot? The mirroring option would be cool as I'm sure that he'll be more comfortable working with the flash storage that way. DSD is cool too, but the workflow is essential alongside the sound quality.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search