The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RCA 77-C1 needs a new Ribbon... Ribbon Microphones
Old 2nd April 2015
Gear Maniac

RCA 77-C1 needs a new Ribbon...

Any thoughts on who's best to replace the ribbon in this mic... Wes Dooley, Stephen Sank?? Is Clarence Kane still working?

Thanks for any insight!
Old 3rd April 2015
I've had RCA mics repaired by Clarence Kane and Wes Dooley. Clarence is the only way to go!
ENAK microphone repair: Shared Bottom Border
Old 3rd April 2015
Gear Maniac

Don't you have a great story for us, as to WHY it needs work? Did'ya slam a door next to it or something??
Old 3rd April 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Powell View Post
I've had RCA mics repaired by Clarence Kane and Wes Dooley. Clarence is the only way to go!
ENAK microphone repair: Shared Bottom Border
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Polizzi View Post
Don't you have a great story for us, as to WHY it needs work? Did'ya slam a door next to it or something??
My girlfriend tapped it a couple of times in the studio, then she blew into it, like she was trying to blow out candles on a birthday cake, and asked, "Is this thing on?" The answer was, "Not anymore."
Old 3rd April 2015
Gear Maniac

Oh, good one!

Glad I asked.

Oh: sorry 'bout that.
Old 3rd April 2015
Gear Guru

"Only way to go" could imply a bad experience with AEA (Wes). I've had them replace a couple of ribbons and their work was excellent, prices were in line with ENAK's, and turnaround was pretty quick (partly because they're on the other side of town). No complaints here.
Old 3rd April 2015
I've always had perfect experiences with Clarence. The wait was worth it!

I had a very disappointing experience with Wes. It was a quite while back. I sent two RCA 74B and three Varicoustic mics for repair. After two months, I received the mics back. Only two were working properly. Of the others, one didn't work at all and the two others didn't sound good. I had sent the mics well packed in bubble wrap, box-in-box. They were shipped back with a thin layer of small bubble wrap in a single box. I sent the funky mics back to Wes and he fixed them, but the matching models never really sounded the same.

I know that Wes makes great mics and I'm sure that he's got his act together. For me, ENAK was better.
Old 3rd April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Polizzi View Post
77 are quite rugged . . I'd like to know what happened to it.
Old 3rd April 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Powell View Post
I had a very disappointing experience with Wes. It was a quite while back...
Thanks for elaborating. The only jobs I've had him do were simple, swapping out ribbons on a 44 and a 77. Sorry to hear it didn't go well for you.
Old 3rd April 2015
Lives for gear

He replaced my RCA BK-5B ribbon last year. I talked to him on the phone too. His wife answered. Man those are some old school cats! He's like the Gepetto of ribbons. He did a great job and turnaround was fast. Price was around $160 shipped.

The reason I called was to ask about repair status. Turns out he had finished the job in a couple of days but had misplaced my contact info. So you may need to keep on top of that.

Far as I know he is still using original stock from the 'olden days' for repair.
Old 5th April 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Roadrunner View Post
Thank you!

My girlfriend tapped it a couple of times in the studio, then she blew into it, like she was trying to blow out candles on a birthday cake, and asked, "Is this thing on?" The answer was, "Not anymore."
LOL LOL
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search