The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How many of you are able to use FTP? / annoying situation with other "pros" Dynamics Plugins
Old 2nd April 2015
Lives for gear
How many of you are able to use FTP? / annoying situation with other "pros"

I'm in a hilarious situation with 2 remote facilities and delivering files. I did the arrangements and sent stems to another studio to track vocals. That studio sent the stems and vocals along to a young mixer at a different facility, but somehow forgot to deliver all the stems, so there are parts missing at the mix studio that they have at the vocal studio. The producer doesn't seem to know much about producing, because they came back to me asking me to deliver the stems again to the mix studio. I tried to explain that they need to use the master sessions because otherwise all edits, changes will be lost and out of alignment with my tracks. No luck getting that point across. So I told the mix engineer, all the stem archives are still available on my FTP server; here is the login info, oh and Filezilla is free and easty if this is your first time with FTP.

The mixer can't even be bothered to try to download the files! He is insisting that I re-upload everything again via dropbox or wesendit. So instead of taking 5 minutes to try the FTP thing (which is faster than dropbox or wesendit by the way), he wants me to spend 4 hours or so reuploading everything to a paid service, on tracks I already delivered once!

It's just pathetic. Is FTP that difficult? Who else uses it, and who finds it challenging? The cadillac service would be just to waste the time uploading it all again for these maroons, but frankly the project did not pay for the cadillac service, it's a mistake on their end, and they are making no effort to own the problem, not even the giant step of using FTP.

/rant off

What do you think?
Old 2nd April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philter View Post
It's just pathetic. Who else uses it, and who finds it challenging? The cadillac service would be just to waste the time uploading it all again for these maroons, but frankly the project did not pay for the cadillac service, it's a mistake on their end, and they are making no effort to own the problem, not even the giant step of using FTP.

/rant off

What do you think?
I hear your frustration and agree. These days, FTP applications are too low-level for most people.

However, how much of a "waste of time" is it just click a couple of times to upload the files again to whatever paid service this guy uses?
Old 2nd April 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
I hear your frustration and agree. These days, FTP applications are too low-level for most people.

However, how much of a "waste of time" is it just click a couple of times to upload the files again to whatever paid service this guy uses?
Plus 4 hours of my internet being tied up, plus no one is offering me the account for free, plus the general principle that it's their problem, and the least they could do is solve it themselves. If they had tried and failed (pathetically) then I would be more inclined to go out of my way to help them out. But to not even make an effort to solve your own problems? What kind of professional attitude is that?
Old 2nd April 2015
Lives for gear
how big are the files? i use WeTransfer a lot, free too.
Old 2nd April 2015
Quote:
I'm in a hilarious situation with 2 remote facilities and delivering files. I did the arrangements and sent stems to another studio to track vocals. That studio sent the stems and vocals along to a young mixer at a different facility, but somehow forgot to deliver all the stems, so there are parts missing at the mix studio that they have at the vocal studio. The producer doesn't seem to know much about producing, because they came back to me asking me to deliver the stems again to the mix studio. I tried to explain that they need to use the master sessions because otherwise all edits, changes will be lost and out of alignment with my tracks. No luck getting that point across. So I told the mix engineer, all the stem archives are still available on my FTP server; here is the login info, oh and Filezilla is free and easty if this is your first time with FTP.

The mixer can't even be bothered to try to download the files! He is insisting that I re-upload everything again via dropbox or wesendit. So instead of taking 5 minutes to try the FTP thing (which is faster than dropbox or wesendit by the way), he wants me to spend 4 hours or so reuploading everything to a paid service, on tracks I already delivered once!

It's just pathetic. Is FTP that difficult? Who else uses it, and who finds it challenging? The cadillac service would be just to waste the time uploading it all again for these maroons, but frankly the project did not pay for the cadillac service, it's a mistake on their end, and they are making no effort to own the problem, not even the giant step of using FTP.

/rant off

What do you think?
fundamentally, it depends whether you want to work with them again. Do you want to blow their socks off by going above and beyond or do you want to be the grumpy guy who wouldnt even click upload again? I know what I'd do.
Old 2nd April 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi View Post
how big are the files? i use WeTransfer a lot, free too.
6 zip files, each around 500 megs. It's not that I can't do it, it's the principle of offering someone a favor and then having them insist on a different favor. I just want to see people like that fail. The files are there on my server, spend the couple minutes it takes to get into the server, instead of insisting I spend 4 hours uploading them again, considering I'm delivering them again as a favor to you and the other studio that already screwed up the transfer once (presumably using an "easier" handholding service.)
Old 2nd April 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
fundamentally, it depends whether you want to work with them again. Do you want to blow their socks off by going above and beyond or do you want to be the grumpy guy who wouldnt even click upload again? I know what I'd do.
No I wouldn't want to work with them again! What would you do in that case? Still waste your own time to help a lazy, entitled guy out? I've had a number of interactions with people of the same attitude over the last couple weeks, and I work with enough decent people that I can be a little selective about who I choose to deal with. I imagine you might feel the same way in some cases. By the way do you know how to use FTP?
Old 2nd April 2015
Quote:
6 zip files, each around 500 megs. It's not that I can't do it, it's the principle of offering someone a favor and then having them insist on a different favor. I just want to see people like that fail. The files are there on my server, spend the couple minutes it takes to get into the server, instead of insisting I spend 4 hours uploading them again, considering I'm delivering them again as a favor to you and the other studio that already screwed up the transfer once (presumably using an "easier" handholding service.)
Quote:
No I wouldn't want to work with them again! What would you do in that case? Still waste your own time to help a lazy, entitled guy out? I've had a number of interactions with people of the same attitude over the last couple weeks, and I work with enough decent people that I can be a little selective about who I choose to deal with. I imagine you might feel the same way in some cases. By the way do you know how to use FTP?
Wow. That's a lot of anger man. They just sound like a standard tv client. And while I might 'feel the same way' on occasions, I'd still just upload the file.

In my view in this world what goes around comes around. Lots of people that I haven't enjoyed working with have turned out to be good clients. Others that I have enjoyed working with have screwed me over in some way afterwards. C'est la vie.
Old 2nd April 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
In my view in this world what goes around comes around.
I would hope you are right, but doubt you are, and even if you were right, that philosophy seems like a good way to explain why you shouldn't go out of your way to help a jerk! It's contrary to karma, man! The universe wants jerks to get kicked in the ass. But not really; jerks get ahead, as it was, is, and always will be.
Old 2nd April 2015
Gear Maniac

Plenty of these people around...
I have been using ftp links until I could get an ftp server with Web interface:
"ftp://user:[email protected]/folder/filename.ext"
That might get them going?

Think zen and take your frustration out in the gym or something. Be pro-active and don't be the guy that holds it all up.
Trouble is that if you hold up the project nobody will see beyond that and recognise you were not causing the issue at hand.
Old 2nd April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

/rant off

What do you think?
I use FTP all the time - Much faster uploads and user friendly than dropbox and other sites like it in my experience. However I use cyberduck and do not give anyone login info - I just upload whatever files I need to a directory and send them a web address of a zip file to download. That way they don't need to use the FTP client (just type in the URL) and I can just drag and drop files wherever and whenever I need.
Once the file is downloaded then I delete the file. If it is a sensitive file I can encrypt it and give the client the key.

If you are able to do this, you might be able to have the best of both worlds! Of course, that is assuming you have web hosting.
Old 2nd April 2015
Philter, I understand your frustration completely. If those lazy clients can learn how to use a phone, they bloody well can learn how to FTP. But the truth is FTP is not well known anymore. Not in the musician world at least. So the best thing to do is to accept that and stop being angry about it. And then decide if you want to work with such clients. Hopefully you will, because it will only get "worse".
Old 2nd April 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendyamps View Post
I use FTP all the time - Much faster uploads and user friendly than dropbox and other sites like it in my experience. However I use cyberduck and do not give anyone login info - I just upload whatever files I need to a directory and send them a web address of a zip file to download. That way they don't need to use the FTP client (just type in the URL) and I can just drag and drop files wherever and whenever I need.
Once the file is downloaded then I delete the file. If it is a sensitive file I can encrypt it and give the client the key.

If you are able to do this, you might be able to have the best of both worlds! Of course, that is assuming you have web hosting.
I'm allowed to create 500 different FTP accounts with specified directory access, so I create user accounts unique to each project to deliver. I found that http downloads were getting interrupted and failing to complete... maybe what I need is a new web host.
Old 2nd April 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrik View Post
Philter, I understand your frustration completely. If those lazy clients can learn how to use a phone, they bloody well can learn how to FTP. But the truth is FTP is not well known anymore. Not in the musician world at least. So the best thing to do is to accept that and stop being angry about it. And then decide if you want to work with such clients. Hopefully you will, because it will only get "worse".
Yeah I hear you. But what really irks me is this isn't even a client, it's another professional service provider who happens to be working on the same project. So he's asking me for the favor professionally (I already delivered the project- they can't seem to make the transfer happen between vocal and mix studio), and then refusing my offer of help and insisting on me doing it differently. My bet is the studios up there are strict about the hourly rate, do the transfers on the clock, and are looking for a way to fix their mistake for free, by offloading the problem on me.
Old 2nd April 2015
Quote:
My bet is the studios up there are strict about the hourly rate, do the transfers on the clock, and are looking for a way to fix their mistake for free, by offloading the problem on me.
That or just plain incompetent.
Old 2nd April 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm allowed to create 500 different FTP accounts with specified directory access, so I create user accounts unique to each project to deliver. I found that http downloads were getting interrupted and failing to complete... maybe what I need is a new web host.
When you specify the URL to be FTP:// you are not using http I believe..
It is possible however that browsers handle ftp with less stability?

By the way I have had a project full of spikes caused by bad download/syncing from dropbox to Mac.
Mac OS nor dropbox complained about connection or transfer problems... sigh..
Old 2nd April 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkuijt View Post
Plenty of these people around...
I have been using ftp links until I could get an ftp server with Web interface:
"ftp://user:[email protected]/folder/filename.ext"
That might get them going?

Think zen and take your frustration out in the gym or something. Be pro-active and don't be the guy that holds it all up.
Trouble is that if you hold up the project nobody will see beyond that and recognise you were not causing the issue at hand.
OK I'm going to experiment with that. What I'm not clear on is how the various browsers handle an ftp link. Is it widely implemented? I was using http links when I experienced the interrupts.
Old 2nd April 2015
Gear Maniac

Haven't tested this extensively but ftp is a standard protocol just as http.
I know what you mean with the interrupts but I had just as many using WeTransfer, I believe that has to do with the stability of the connection to the server.

try to avoid any spaces in the filenames ;-)
Or leave the filename off and they will have a clickable list of files in their browser:
"ftp://user:[email protected]/folder/"

In the meantime you can consider to start the upload to DB or WT to let this issue be done with asap.

Good luck!
Old 2nd April 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkuijt View Post
Haven't tested this extensively but ftp is a standard protocol just as http.
I know what you mean with the interrupts but I had just as many using WeTransfer, I believe that has to do with the stability of the connection to the server.

try to avoid any spaces in the filenames ;-)
Or leave the filename off and they will have a clickable list of files in their browser:
"ftp://user:[email protected]/folder/"

In the meantime you can consider to start the upload to DB or WT to let this issue be done with asap.

Good luck!
Works great! Thanks for the tip.
Old 2nd April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
6yy7Is FTP that difficult? Who else uses it, and who finds it challenging? The cadillac service would be just to waste the time uploading it all again for these maroons, but frankly the project did not pay for the cadillac service, it's a mistake on their end, and they are making no effort to own the problem, not even the giant step of using FTP.

/rant off

What do you think?
I think it is important to be a consummate service provider. Some folks fear FTP, so I made it easy for them. They can access my server via a web browser with Rumpus. Anticipate problems before they happen, and have solutions in place. Works for me.

In your case, simply tell the mixer that you will be happy to spend another four hours uploading the same files *again* when you have four hours available to tie up your Internet bandwidth. If the mixer needs the files sooner, send a link to CuteFTP, Filezilla or some other FTP client app, along with login info to your server, and suggest that an assistant spends the five minutes logging in and starting the transfer.

I have felt your pain, which is why I use Rumpus now.
Old 3rd April 2015
Lives for gear

I think FTP should be a given for people who call themselves "professionals". Your grumpyness is fully justified, especially since this clown isn't your client to begin with. I've been in situations like yours as well. As a free service I gave them good instructions to handle their problem and when they came back bickering over the fact that the cooked geese didn't fly straight into their mouth I told them to take it or leave it. I am always very willing to help anyone, but I am not going to run errands to get unthankful stupidity in return. I feel your blood pressure!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search