The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recordings in Ireland in 70's
Old 1st April 2015
Here for the gear

Recordings in Ireland in 70's

Hey Folks,

I'd like to know if anyone has a clue about recordings back in the day in ireland.
I'm very interested in traditional Folk music and i cant find any sources or books about that topic. What kind of recording studios have been there back in the day?
Was everybody going to London? I dont hope so! :D Thinking about that rebel songs beeing recordet in London

Would be cool if someone has some answers to me.

Sorry for my bad english. I'm better in reading your stuff!

By the way... great forum!
Old 1st April 2015
Deleted User
The original Windmill Lane studios, run by Brian Masterson, would have done a fair bit of Folk and Trad. Would've been late 70s though.
Old 1st April 2015
Here for the gear

Jep! I took notice of these fellas but they are a little "too young" for the kind of research i have to do.

Cant Imagine that all of the great folk stuff was made at field recordings.
Old 2nd April 2015
Going back further than the 1970s, a lot of songs were collected via field recordings and transcribed later. Cecil Sharp was an early British musicologist who collected hundreds of folk songs in England, but I don't know how many traditional Irish songs he came across

In 1911 Sharp founded the EFDSS - the English Folk Dance & Song Society - and their HQ in Regents Park in London is named after him

I would think that most recordings in the 70s were field recordings - not that many folk artists had record contracts that would finance a studio recording. The earliest bands I can recall that made an impact that were Planxty, Steeleye Span and Fairport Convention but that's a very English-centric take on Folk music in the 70s!

Quite a few folk musicians ended up in London and were pretty active playing sessions - John Martin's album Solid Air was recorded at Island Studios with Dave Mattacks, Richard Thompson and Danny Thompson in the backing band. If you work backwards from people like these I think you'll find what you're looking for

The EFDSS library will have chapter & verse (and chorus) about it

Nick Froome
Old 6th April 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks a million! This really helped me out!
Old 7th April 2015
Nod
Gear Head

Plenty of studios in Dublin during the 70s, Google Eammon Andrews studios, Lansdowne studios, and Lombard Sound (later Westland). Windmill Lane opened in 1979 I think. Not everyone went off to London!
And by the way Nick, "Solid Air" was recorded at Sound Techniques, not Island!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search