The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Whats On Your Stereo Bus? : 500 Series Dynamics Only!!
Old 31st March 2015
Here for the gear

Whats On Your Stereo Bus? : 500 Series Dynamics Only!!

Hey guys, im trying to find some options for 500 series compressors to put on my stereo buss. What are some of the best out there? I work with all types on music so something that sounds good on any genre is preferred.

Im looking for a piece of gear that gives me that WOW factor. If it doesnt blow me away i dont want to waste money on it. So lets hear it guys and gals!
Old 31st March 2015
Lives for gear

Chandler Little Devil Compressors often. I like the UAD Vari Mu sometimes instead, though.

The LD is really versatile, doing pretty transparent to some hard smacking. I recommend it and getting a pair's meter's matched.
Old 31st March 2015
Lives for gear

I use the X-Rack version of this - SSL Stereo Bus Compressor Module for 500 Series - Vintage King Audio

Fantastic on 2 bus.
Old 31st March 2015
Dramastic Obsidian (my personal preference 90% of the time)
Serpent Audio SB4001
Elysia Expressor
Old 31st March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Dramastic Obsidian (my personal preference 90% of the time)
Serpent Audio SB4001
Elysia Expressor
I too would love the obsidian! For the price of it you could get the serpent
and a pair of little devils!
Old 31st March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post
I too would love the obsidian! For the price of it you could get the serpent
and a pair of little devils!
Sorry. I thought we were in the High End.
Old 31st March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Sorry. I thought we were in the High End.
Truth be told!

I guess its quality over quantity with stuffed pockets to go with it!
Old 31st March 2015
Jai guru deva om

I would likely lean towards the Serpent Audio SB4001 in this case, it does the SSL thing but also gives you completely variable release times which means it can always nail the rhythm needed. Great tone and depth, and has other features like blend etc that make it a further standout.

War
Old 31st March 2015
Gear Head

Obsidian is very good and have that SSL modern sound(have also the sidechain HPF witch is essential in dance music,or low heavy music) but i Elysia Xpressor is very good also and have a lot of options.I have one and i use daily on my master buss and i like it more and more because you can make a lot of things with it.It have HPF till 1000 hz,have negative ratios,log release witch is very good if you wanna make the comp to pump more,GRL witch i find it to be very good if you wanna make the comp to be punchier and have a good impact too on the lows.
The only thing that i can't say about neither of them is that will give you that wow effect because they are transparent bus compressors and they not change the sound like a Shadow Hills mastering comp,or like a Pheonix or Vari mu comp or the modern Foote PS4.If you want glue and a compact sound these 2 are very good and if you want character i think that you will need something else and not in the 500 format.
I use also a SSL bus comp clone from IGS and i like it but i need a new compressor for character.
Happy mixing!
Old 1st April 2015
I feel that the SB4001 is a steal. It's scary versatile and pretty much the guts of an SSL bus comp plus more. You can pay more for something like the Obsidian or the actual SSL but I feel it's just throwing money to the wind.

That being said I'm trying out a Catherine North SSL bus clone next week, built by a trusted builder in Southern Ontario. He's offering it for an unreal price to me. He also builds a 2ch Pultec clone for $2K CAD. Can't beat that!!!!
Old 1st April 2015
Lives for gear

Mixbuzz with original DBX gold cans in it. But I don't use a bus compressor all that often nowadays...
Old 1st April 2015
Gear Maniac

These sound great !the examples are great 2 is always better than 1
http://www.petesplaceaudio.com/bac-500.html
Old 1st April 2015
Lives for gear

Mix Bus - Dramastic Obsidian 500.
Drum Bus - Elysia Xpressor 500.

I've tried a lot of compressors but the Obsidian stays glued to my master bus and the Xpressor stays glued to my drum bus.
Old 1st April 2015
Here for the gear
500 series SSL (version 2) really can't complain about this one. Does what it says on the tin!
Old 1st April 2015
Gear Head

Our Serpent SB4001 is killing it - the best thing is that it rocks as an instrument comp or for transparent vocals too. Plus the grind thing is really nice for smashing drums with or getting extra harmonics from bass etc. Very nice comp.
P
Old 1st April 2015
Portoco compressor is my favorite
Old 1st April 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
I feel that the SB4001 is a steal. It's scary versatile and pretty much the guts of an SSL bus comp plus more. You can pay more for something like the Obsidian or the actual SSL but I feel it's just throwing money to the wind.

That being said I'm trying out a Catherine North SSL bus clone next week, built by a trusted builder in Southern Ontario. He's offering it for an unreal price to me. He also builds a 2ch Pultec clone for $2K CAD. Can't beat that!!!!
Please report back. I'm on the FB thread where he reached out to you. I'm very curious about it.
Old 2nd April 2015
Obsidian on 2 buss, SB4001 on drum buss. FWIW there IS a difference.
Old 3rd April 2015
Lives for gear

SSL Bus comp and a few dual vandergraphs . both are great .
Old 3rd April 2015
elysia xpressor 500 here, I got it because I like clean sounding compression, I've been loving it so far
Old 4th April 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
Obsidian on 2 buss, SB4001 on drum buss. FWIW there IS a difference.
I am torn between these two.. Tell me more please.
Old 5th April 2015
Obsidian seems to me to add a bit more width to the mix and just feels "right" on 95% of my mixes. It was a step up from my 4001 the first time I tried it. As I mentioned, I do like the 4001 and it lives on my drum buss. If I didn't have the Obsidian, I would still be happily using the 4001.

HTH
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search