The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can you replace the VCA's on an SSL bus comp?
Old 29th March 2015
Lives for gear

Can you replace the VCA's on an SSL bus comp?

Hi-

Ive got the original DBX VCA's that were used on the original SSL Bus Comp.
Since many people claim that is the only difference in componentry between the 384 and the new X logic, yet that impart the tonal difference between the two, would it be an easy change over to install the DBX VCA's, thus achieving the 384 tone?

Also, which of the modern designs, out on the market, are the most easy to convert to 384 by way of replacing and installing these original VCA's?

Thanks!
Old 31st March 2015
Lives for gear

interesting
Old 31st March 2015
Lives for gear

Hi
There is more to it that 'just swapping the VCAs'
It is the sum of all parts of a design that define the 'sound'.
Matt S
Old 31st March 2015
Old 31st March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
There is more to it that 'just swapping the VCAs'
It is the sum of all parts of a design that define the 'sound'.
Matt S

Indeed, However, in all publications SSL claim that the new, XL G series rack version are IDENTICAL in anyway with the exception of the unavailable DBX VCA.

So...? What sum of parts? Supposed to be the same parts to the screw
Old 31st March 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rea View Post
Indeed, However, in all publications SSL claim that the new, XL G series rack version are IDENTICAL in anyway with the exception of the unavailable DBX VCA.

So...? What sum of parts? Supposed to be the same parts to the screw
Based on comparison recordings I've heard, there are very noticeable differences. I could have figured there would be, as it's just obvious.

You can either believe marketing hype, which has rarely served the customer, or you can try to do a test at a store, if possible, and compare for yourself.
Old 2nd April 2015
Lives for gear

6 months ago, we put an original greyface up against a series of 3 different era's of XLogic versions. With slightly different settings in the attack and threshold, my early XLogic was so close as to be indistinguishable. I had to admit, this was a tad OCD now that I have done a recent head to head in person myself.

It opened my eyes that there is a lot of other more important factors in the overall picture, that I ended up being relieved of some gear mojo anxiety.
Old 2nd April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakinrecords View Post
Based on comparison recordings I've heard, there are very noticeable differences. I could have figured there would be, as it's just obvious.

You can either believe marketing hype, which has rarely served the customer, or you can try to do a test at a store, if possible, and compare for yourself.
I am not talking about sound, i am talking about design and components.
When i say SSL claim its identical design i am not saying SSL say it sounds identical.

The only reason for this OP is to find out how much modding it takes to install the original DBX VCA's in a modern G series given that the publication claim the design is identical with the exception of the VCA used. thats all. Lets not go into sound comparisons. Plenty of that in the forums.
Old 3rd April 2015
Lives for gear

Hi
Since the 'original' DBX VCA parts are obsolete and various design changes were made over the lifetime of these parts it is fair to suggest that fitting 'old' parts will not be a simple plug in exercise, however a competent tech would be able to make the variety of changes necessary to accommodate them.
Matt S
Old 3rd April 2015
Lives for gear

Id love to hear about a real life experience doing so.
Old 4th April 2015
Lives for gear

That corp VCAs are close to direct replacements. I believe they are 2175s but been a while since I've looked at them. These are what the Smart C2 uses. Great smack.
Old 7th April 2015
Lives for gear

Which of the good clone builds would love the DBX20s blacks as a direct install?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search