The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lexicon PCM81 prices ? Multi-Effects Processors (HW)
Old 25th March 2015
Lives for gear

Lexicon PCM81 prices ?

Hi all, I posted this in a hurry, I have another thread about effects that I'm considering buying, but need someone's opion quite soon so...
I've been offered a PCM 81 for £450 plus VAT, I'm not sure if it is a god price ? it's ex-hire, has rack-rash, and is a bit dirty. I've also been offered an Eventide H3000DSE in similar condion, no rack-rash though, just a few scratches, that one is £800 plus VAT. This is also ex-hire.
Not sure if all this is a good deal, I'm a bit worried, as if I have to sell them in the future cosmetic condition may be an issue.

WB.
Old 26th March 2015
Lives for gear

I would steer clear of all HIRE UNITS no matter what. You have no idea what they have been thru or the mistreatment, if it looks bad........question answered!
Old 26th March 2015
£450 isn't bad, probably £50 less than you see them on eBay or at a dealer. I've bought them used before and had no issues. If you can try before you buy maybe take a chance. The 81 sounds nice on some stuff. Right now nothing beats Bricasti. That's what finance companies are for!!
Old 27th March 2015
Lives for gear

The PCM 81 price is fair as is the H3000. Units that were used for hire (rental companies stock) can either be good or bad. It really depends. If something is dusty it could have been used exclusively for outdoor shows, tours or festivals and in that case I would stay away from it. Or it could have just been sitting on a shelf in a warehouse without getting any love for years. I know that when I would rack up gear for tours I always kept the resale value of my gear in mind so I was always very careful when racking. I tried to always keep everything as pristine as possible. Not everyone is that careful with gear even really expensive stuff. Try before you buy
Old 5th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
The PCM 81 price is fair as is the H3000. Units that were used for hire (rental companies stock) can either be good or bad. It really depends. If something is dusty it could have been used exclusively for outdoor shows, tours or festivals and in that case I would stay away from it. Or it could have just been sitting on a shelf in a warehouse without getting any love for years. I know that when I would rack up gear for tours I always kept the resale value of my gear in mind so I was always very careful when racking. I tried to always keep everything as pristine as possible. Not everyone is that careful with gear even really expensive stuff. Try before you buy
Obviously in UK terms these units were near List Price (PCM-81) £1999 / £2,199 (PCM91) in 1998 when new and fresh of the Production line etc. Then Add Extra for Cards/PCMCIA cards, Then use, abuse, fixed Delay time etc. As an FOH /Studio Install unit, it would have been flogged, I'd say the chances of a decent find 3 out of 10.....as Motoxxx states, when it's not you're Audio Gear.....Does it get the same Tender Loving Care & Respect?

Hmmmm?
I Doubt it!
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search