The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL 4000E mod
Old 18th December 2006
Gear Maniac

SSL 4000E mod

Hi Guys!

This is my first post on this great site.. Wish i had more time to hang around here.

I have an SSL 4000E, and i´m about to re-cap and fix it up a little. It has the old Brown Knob EQ. Is it possible to mod these to the Black Knob? Does anyone have a schematic? What is the difference exactly (sound-wise)? I know the G+ Black Knob is always HF LF shelving, with the 5x 5/ buttons instead of the Bell buttons. Is this the case on all Black Knob EQ´s, or is there an earlier version that still has the Bell-fellow? Or am i the only one who´d prefer this?

Is there anything else that would be nice to mod? Or should i say easy to mod.. Is there a standard way to lower the noice? Without replacing the VCA´s.. My console is early 80´s. But it rocks.

Thanks!!

/Jenz
Old 18th December 2006
Lives for gear

Jenz,
Whether or not you can easily swap EQ's around, I'll leave that up to a more technically inclined fella...However, my guess would be that this would only be a matter of swapping your eq cards with either a G292 or an E242, and then switching knob caps. And since the pot and switches layout is the same, I'm thinking there won't be an issue with the TR either. However, don't hold it against me if it's more complicated than that.
Now soundwise:
There's no G+ eq in fact. It's either a G eq (the 292) or the E eq (the 242). For the G+ consoles, you had the choice between both (or a mixture).
Both have black knob caps on the low end, but the G eq's have the 'x3' and '/3' switches, whereas the E eq's have the bell switches. There's no right or wrong...Try both out and see which ones you like...
I'd say your console must be pre-1985 (brown eq), so if it hasn't been recapped in the past decade, then you may want to start heating your solder iron.
Another useful upgrade could be the software for the VCA automation.

YSMV,
Old 18th December 2006
theother
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenz View Post
Hi Guys!

This is my first post on this great site.. Wish i had more time to hang around here.

I have an SSL 4000E, and i´m about to re-cap and fix it up a little. It has the old Brown Knob EQ. Is it possible to mod these to the Black Knob? Does anyone have a schematic? What is the difference exactly (sound-wise)? I know the G+ Black Knob is always HF LF shelving, with the 5x 5/ buttons instead of the Bell buttons. Is this the case on all Black Knob EQ´s, or is there an earlier version that still has the Bell-fellow? Or am i the only one who´d prefer this?

Is there anything else that would be nice to mod? Or should i say easy to mod.. Is there a standard way to lower the noice? Without replacing the VCA´s.. My console is early 80´s. But it rocks.

Thanks!!

/Jenz
I've been told the only difference is that the Filters on the black have a dent/switch at the lowest/highest position that puts them out of circuit and in bypass for a cleaner signal.

The best & easiest mod you can do is using real good caps for the centre section/mixbus and then if you are going to recap the channels also use the best you can afford and you can fit size-wise.

Do 1 or two channels for listening tests and then decide. Even caps that cost the same sound different.

The G+ black knob is the one you were talking about (old E with Filter bypass) the G-EQ had a different colour.

When the G desks came out with the G EQ (x3 and /3 buttons instead of Bell) people wanted the old E-EQs back and that has been offered as the black-eq for G desks.
Old 18th December 2006
Lives for gear

I know at our studio we have a 4056 E frame with the brown eq knobs that were replaced with the black eq cards (knobs still brown). The SSL is actually a 4K G+ computer on the E frame. So this can be done, not sure how though... probably just swap the cards!
Old 18th December 2006
theother
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap217 View Post
I know at our studio we have a 4056 E frame with the brown eq knobs that were replaced with the black eq cards (knobs still brown). The SSL is actually a 4K G+ computer on the E frame. So this can be done, not sure how though... probably just swap the cards!
It's not just swapping cards! The G uses different pots on the HF/LF I think. Better ask a tech, but I had to mod something I remember...

Anyway, there is more to do than just swapping cards, although it's a minor job.
Old 11th January 2007
Gear Addict

We just replaced all 48 brown eq's with black 242 eq's in our 1980 E series. The dent/switch off position on the filters is a problem that is easily rectified by soldering a jumper on the back of the channel. (I forget the two pin numbers but if you need the info I'll get it) Without the jumper, the 242 eq won't work at all.

Incidentally, other mods we have done are upgrading the center section to G+ (all new cards), new vca cards on all 48 channels (huge improvement), and replacing the channel amps with the Alan Smart channel amps. I can't say enough good things about this mod.

I guess the next thing for us to do is led bulbs for the meters...
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosi View Post
I can't say enough good things about this mod.
My god.. That mod most have costed two fortunes!!

Thanks for the replies, but i was more looking for small mod´s, not switching entire cards. Like, "if you change that capacitor to this value instead, you get this result and that´s a common thing to do". I can see that there´s a lot of these small mods in the console already that´s been made during the years, probably some on recommendations from SSL.

Is there a common mod for the master compressor for perhaps leaving out a little low end from the side chain?

I have a few Lundahl transformers left, is there anyone who tried to change just the original E mic pre transformer? Result?

Thanks!

/Jens

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search