The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 225L thoughts Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 24th March 2015
  #1
Gear Addict
 
ezrecords's Avatar
 

API 225L thoughts

Ok, so everybody is living on a 500 series fever, is the little brother 200 series a enough good for talking about???
Old 24th March 2015
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrecords View Post
Ok, so everybody is living on a 500 series fever, is the little brother 200 series a enough good for talking about???
Naaahhh...they're only used in $500,000 US consoles.

Actually, API makes a "rack" for them, but nothing else fits in it, and they're pretty much the same as the 500 series stuff, so why bother talking about them?
Old 24th March 2015
  #3
Gear Guru
 
u b k's Avatar
 

AWESOME compressor. Total bust on the form factor, purely for historical random reasons. Namely, the 500 series exploded and left the 200 in the dust.

I'm sad but glad, because I would NOT be happy if I had to design 200-series modules. Too stinkin' small for my stubby fingers!


Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 24th March 2015
  #4
Gear Addict
 
ezrecords's Avatar
 

Quote:
AWESOME compressor
Similar to 525 or 527???

They seems to be like the 2500 stereo

I think that the 200 series, is cheaper, and it is useful for example if you want to get sixteen of them for example to use in the inserts of the RN 5059 summing box, they are half the price tan 500 series. It is a real pity that there isn´t an eq module
Old 24th March 2015
  #5
Gear Maniac
 
Warren Beck's Avatar
 

Terrific units. Very useable on anything. Small format lets you have either 4 in a 1u frame, or 10 (?) in a 2u. I find them quite transparent. there is a new variant where the attack and release are on a dual concentric pot, and user adjustable. I have the older version.
Old 25th March 2015
  #6
Lives for gear
 
JonMiller's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdenton View Post
Naaahhh...they're only used in $500,000 US consoles.

Actually, API makes a "rack" for them, but nothing else fits in it, and they're pretty much the same as the 500 series stuff, so why bother talking about them?


They sound fantastic. There are a few other things that fit in the 200 series racks. John Hardy Pre-amps as well as Sony Pre-amps come to mind.

I have a few 200 series racks.
Old 25th March 2015
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Fair enough on the "other stuff"...I should have said something like "currently produced"...I did a quick check for that and didn't find anything.

For better or worse, I don't share others' fascination with "vintage" stuff...I like bright, shiny, new stuff.

But...to each, his own...
Old 25th March 2015
  #8
Lives for gear
 
SighBorg's Avatar
 

Quote:
Similar to 525 or 527???
Very early units were similar to 525s in GR action (FET units), most units are VCA similar to 527/2500 but still some differences like A/R ranges, .

Quote:
John Hardy Pre-amps as well as Sony Pre-amps come to mind.
I never knew Hardys would fit, thanks.
Old 25th March 2015
  #9
Lives for gear
 
dandeurloo's Avatar
Yeah, they are great. Like many other API things the opamps often go dead in them but they can be replaced with better opamps that don't die and sound awesome. All and all they are great API comps. They are in my top 3 favorite modules from API. I have a pair and do love them.

The 200 series stuff is cool. I have used a rack full of the pres and they sounded good to great. So, if you find a rack it may be worth it for ya to grab some other modules.
Old 25th March 2015
  #10
Gear Addict
 
ezrecords's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMiller View Post
They sound fantastic. There are a few other things that fit in the 200 series racks. John Hardy Pre-amps as well as Sony Pre-amps come to mind.

I have a few 200 series racks.
Any eq in series 200?
Old 25th March 2015
  #11
Gear Addict
 
ezrecords's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Beck View Post
Terrific units. Very useable on anything. Small format lets you have either 4 in a 1u frame, or 10 (?) in a 2u. I find them quite transparent. there is a new variant where the attack and release are on a dual concentric pot, and user adjustable. I have the older version.
I was looking for the 1 unit chassis but there are too old, maybe on ebay
Old 25th March 2015
  #12
Lives for gear
 
JonMiller's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrecords View Post
Any eq in series 200?
API makes Hi-pass and Low-Pass filters, Pre-amps, compressors, and noise gates in the 200 series formats
Old 25th March 2015
  #13
Lives for gear
 
JonMiller's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo View Post
Yeah, they are great. Like many other API things the opamps often go dead in them but they can be replaced with better opamps that don't die and sound awesome. All and all they are great API comps. They are in my top 3 favorite modules from API. I have a pair and do love them.

The 200 series stuff is cool. I have used a rack full of the pres and they sounded good to great. So, if you find a rack it may be worth it for ya to grab some other modules.
I have API 212l's that are atleast 10 year's old and have been on for nearly the entire time and I have never replaced an opamp.
Old 25th March 2015
  #14
I own a L200 lunchbox for a few years now with 8 of the 212L pres and one of the 205L DI pre amp and its great stuff. The 212L pre is the same guts as the more common 512 but without the extra features like phase reverse and the Hi Z input. Ive read nothing but good things about the 225L and would like to find a pair to complete my rack.
Old 25th March 2015
  #15
Gear Addict
 
ezrecords's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SighBorg View Post
Very early units were similar to 525s in GR action (FET units), most units are VCA similar to 527/2500 but still some differences like A/R ranges, .



I never knew Hardys would fit, thanks.
So there were two different versions of the 225?
Old 25th March 2015
  #16
Gear Addict
 
ezrecords's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo View Post
Yeah, they are great. Like many other API things the opamps often go dead in them but they can be replaced with better opamps that don't die and sound awesome. All and all they are great API comps. They are in my top 3 favorite modules from API. I have a pair and do love them.

The 200 series stuff is cool. I have used a rack full of the pres and they sounded good to great. So, if you find a rack it may be worth it for ya to grab some other modules.
I'm thinking to get 8 of them
Old 25th March 2015
  #17
Gear Addict
 
ezrecords's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMiller View Post
API makes Hi-pass and Low-Pass filters, Pre-amps, compressors, and noise gates in the 200 series formats
Yes but I need real eqs, not only filters :-(
Old 25th March 2015
  #18
Gear Maniac
 
Warren Beck's Avatar
 

My comp's are 9 years old and no failures. Yes the API op-amp design is silly - the potted brick entraps the heat as opposed to assisting in dissipating of the heat. But if your unit is vented properly, there should not be any issues. Look - people are using, buying/selling vintage Melcore op-amps, Philips, API, etc..
Back on track - no 200 series EQ's, but the compressors are terrific.
Old 26th March 2015
  #19
Lives for gear
 

It might be worth noting that the "500 series" EQs in their current Legacy/Legacy Plus consoles are a different width than their current "500 series" EQs, and are not interchangeable...
Old 26th March 2015
  #20
Lives for gear
 
SighBorg's Avatar
 

Quote:
So there were two different versions of the 225?
Current ones (& vast majority of ones floating around/made) are VCA based. Very early ones were FET units similar to 525. Visually look very similar but knob end color is different. Probably someplace between 50-100 made.

Quote:
There are a few other things that fit in the 200 series racks. John Hardy Pre-amps as well as Sony Pre-amps come to mind.
Can also add Millennia HV32 to the list.

Last edited by SighBorg; 26th March 2015 at 02:07 AM..
Old 26th March 2015
  #21
Lives for gear
 
dandeurloo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMiller View Post
I have API 212l's that are atleast 10 year's old and have been on for nearly the entire time and I have never replaced an opamp.
I awesome. I had to replace the 2510's in both of mine.
Old 26th March 2015
  #22
Gear Addict
 
ezrecords's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SighBorg View Post
Current ones (& vast majority of ones floating around/made) are VCA based. Very early ones were FET units similar to 525. Visually look very similar but knob end color is different. Probably someplace between 50-100 made.



Can also add Millennia HV32 to the list.
But are totally compatible??? I didn't see John Hardy or Sony modules, where could I find some info about them?
Old 26th March 2015
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Tone Laborer's Avatar
They're like your girlfriend's little sister; more petite, and cuter.

Paging the DSPDoctor.
Old 26th March 2015
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Kris Bang Boom's Avatar
The pre and the gate are pretty fly as well
the filter not much mojo,
if found for a deal get any of them though
regrets for me trading these to early......
Old 27th March 2015
  #25
Gear Nut
 
Swansonic's Avatar
 

Has anyone compared the 225 and 527 side by side?

I was close to buying the 225s but API had quit making the 4 slot rack for them so that delayed my decision.
Then they released the 527 followed by the 505 and 565, so my 500 series path was set.

Last edited by Swansonic; 27th March 2015 at 05:20 PM..
Old 27th October 2018
  #26
Here for the gear
I would like to find/diy a 4 to 6-space API 200 series rack for the 225L.
Is it possible to get the individual power rails from API -or- just mfg them?
This thread mentioned 4-space lunchbox API used to make, so I wonder how hard it would be to make one.

I'd like to be able to use these live @ FOH, mostly for vocals.
They work/sound great & the price is right, but 12 spaces (as per API L200R) is too many!

Thanks for any info!
Old 28th October 2018
  #27
Gear Nut
 
rwsand's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrecords View Post
I'm thinking to get 8 of them
I have 8 of them and 4 of the sweep filters which I buddy up to 4 of them. No problems in 2 years of use. Love them for pop/rock stuff, especially drums. Punchy Punchy.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump