The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Heider DM312 vs API 3124 500 Series Preamps
Old 21st March 2015
  #1
Gear Nut
Heider DM312 vs API 3124

Anyone have the chance to demo the 3124 against the Heider? What's the sonic difference? I'm looking to upgrade my API's, but want to keep the API sonic signature for drum tracking. The Heider's cost about 600$ more 8 channels, but they look nice too! Opinions please!
Old 22nd March 2015
  #2
Lives for gear
 
chrisrulesmore's Avatar
 

If I'm not mistaken, the Heider (and the CAPI VP28) have two gain stages with two transformers and two DOA's. I would definitely go for the Heider unless you need the DI on the 3124+.
Old 22nd March 2015
  #3
Gear Nut
Well, the pair of 3124+ is used for drums only. I'm wanting to either upgrade to CAPI VP28's or the Heider. Again, it'd be used for drums only. Really liking the CAPI VP28 as well. CAPI VP28 vs Heider 312? Anyone use either?
Old 22nd March 2015
  #4
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leak1989 View Post
Well, the pair of 3124+ is used for drums only. I'm wanting to either upgrade to CAPI VP28's or the Heider. Again, it'd be used for drums only. Really liking the CAPI VP28 as well. CAPI VP28 vs Heider 312? Anyone use either?
I never used the heider.. but there's also the BAE 312 to consider with the Avedis 1122 opamp. heh

Btw if you're not in a hurry I'd wait a little bit..



Cheu
Old 22nd March 2015
  #5
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
I never used the heider.. but there's also the BAE 312 to consider with the Avedis 1122 opamp. heh

Btw if you're not in a hurry I'd wait a little bit..



Cheu
Well, we've got two API 3124+ here, there still in the honeymoon stage. We still have the option to return them and get something different. I've heard great things about the CAPI VP28 and I can get 8 (same channels as two 3124's) of them and save 1200$. I've also heard mixed reviews on the BAE 312A. I'm stuck choosing between the Heider and the VP28. The VP28 seems to get great reviews around here. So, my choice would be between the CAPI and the Heider.
Old 23rd March 2015
  #6
Lives for gear
 
skybluerental's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leak1989 View Post
Well, the pair of 3124+ is used for drums only. I'm wanting to either upgrade to CAPI VP28's or the Heider. Again, it'd be used for drums only. Really liking the CAPI VP28 as well. CAPI VP28 vs Heider 312? Anyone use either?
I never particularly liked the 3124 for drums.
Because of the way the gain is set, you almost always have to use the pads when recording loud sources like drums.
Somehow the pre amps dont sound as good with the pads engaged.

IMO, the best deal on a pre of this type is the CAPI VP 26.
It also has an output attenuator so you can drive the input hard and attenuate the level before hitting your recorder.
Old 23rd March 2015
  #7
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental View Post
I never particularly liked the 3124 for drums.
Because of the way the gain is set, you almost always have to use the pads when recording loud sources like drums.
Somehow the pre amps dont sound as good with the pads engaged.

IMO, the best deal on a pre of this type is the CAPI VP 26.
It also has an output attenuator so you can drive the input hard and attenuate the level before hitting your recorder.
Isn't the VP26 just a watered down version of the VP28? Wouldn't the VP28 be the better deal then? How do they sound when compared? If it was up to 8 VP28's and 8 VP26 used for drum recording only, what would you use?
Old 23rd March 2015
  #8
Lives for gear
 
skybluerental's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leak1989 View Post
Isn't the VP26 just a watered down version of the VP28? Wouldn't the VP28 be the better deal then? How do they sound when compared? If it was up to 8 VP28's and 8 VP26 used for drum recording only, what would you use?
I cannot comment on the sound of the VP 26 vs VP 28 because I have never used a VP 28.

I think they are similar in some respects, but I believe the VP 28 has more in the audio path. Some may prefer this sound and some may not.
I would not describe the sound of a VP 26 as "watered down" in any way.

What I prefer about the VP 26 is the continuously variable pots.
It allows the user more flexibility in setting the level to the recorder.

They also sound great and are less expensive than VP 28s.
Old 23rd March 2015
  #9
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental View Post
I cannot comment on the sound of the VP 26 vs VP 28 because I have never used a VP 28.

I think they are similar in some respects, but I believe the VP 28 has more in the audio path. Some may prefer this sound and some may not.
I would not describe the sound of a VP 26 as "watered down" in any way.

What I prefer about the VP 26 is the continuously variable pots.
It allows the user more flexibility in setting the level to the recorder.

They also sound great and are less expensive than VP 28s.
Being less expensive isn't really an issue. By returning the API 3124's, I have a little over 6,000.00$ to buy 8 channels of either VP28 or VP26. I'll see if I can get a pair of either and see which I prefer most. Thanks for the very helpful information!
Old 23rd March 2015
  #10
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Get 4 28's and 4 FD312's
Both bigger fatter than the API.
Dual amp stages offer a more "console like" sonic experience.
The 3124 sounds smaller more pointy.
The 28 is most raw, aggressive.
The Heider a little smoother,more refined.

Last edited by RoundBadge; 23rd March 2015 at 09:12 PM..
Old 24th March 2015
  #11
Gear Maniac
The Heider sounded much better to me than any of the other API variants. It's thick, solid, and never sounds like it's struggling. I have not heard the other CAPI stuff though to compare. For drums with API, I think the Heider is a winner and I'm guessing the VP28 is as well.
Old 24th March 2015
  #12
Lives for gear
 
dabigfrog's Avatar
 

CAPI WH312 wally heiders are awesome ! we bought a pair.. then bought another pair… they are excellent on drums and everything else… we also have 4 api 312's .. the Heiders are "go to" preamps. you wont be disappointed.
Old 28th March 2015
  #13
Gear Nut
Just picked up four Heider FD312's and four CAPI VP28's. Must say, as far as drums go, really love the CAPI. But, the Heider is no slouch either. It is my personal opinion, anyone could track drums with either and have an amazing set of tracks. The CAPI seems to have more bottom end and makes Bass and Snare sound huge. The Heider seems to be more defined and a little more focused. Still, the Heider doesn't disappoint and delivers excellent tracks. Now, to decide which to keep and order four more channels to have 8 channels for drum tracking!
Old 28th March 2015
  #14
I haven't tried the CAPIs, but got some FD312s for drums and realized they're not only great for drums, but great on a lot of sources.

Incredibly versatile pre.
Old 28th March 2015
  #15
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
The vp26 is not a "watered down" vp28. They are identical in the pre section, but the 28 has an extra gain stage after the pre, giving it - like someone said earlier - another DOA and transformer. So they are a bit "thicker". Good or bad depending on your perspective. I'd use either. They are awesome.

I like either over API's because of the gain staging options. I HATE the pad on API's. Sucks the life out of drums.
Old 30th March 2015
  #16
Lives for gear
 
ARIEL's Avatar
Anyone compare the VP28 top a BAE 1073 ? would love to know/hear the difference . I own a BAE but have not tried the CAPI stuff yet .
Old 30th March 2015
  #17
Lives for gear
 
vernier's Avatar
The original (non api) DeMedio ...listening to CSNY right now ...awesome.
Old 5th May 2015
  #18
Lives for gear
 
MREVOL's Avatar
 

Would love more opinions too. 3124 vs 500 stuff for drums and the vp26 vs vp28.

I'm actually in the same exact boat. I have two 3124's and contemplating selling for some of these and then adding an eq or two (500 series for drums)
Old 5th May 2015
  #19
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MREVOL View Post
Would love more opinions too. 3124 vs 500 stuff for drums and the vp26 vs vp28.
re: vp26 or 28 vs. 3124....

#1 - no need for pads. Output attenuation for "driving" per your muse. Score.
#2 - more of the "classic" API sound than a 3124. Score.
#3 - re: vp28 - extra gain stage and filters. Score.
#4 - price - highly favors the 26, and even the 28 to a lesser degree. Score.
#5 - going 500 gives you a huge group of options outside pre's. Score.

#6 - NO DI. Loss.


As far as 26 vs. 28.... If you need filters, the 28 is the call. If you need an even THICKER sound than the 26, then the 28. If price is a concern - 26. The 26 and 28 are so close, the 28 is just a bit thicker - as it's got an extra transformer and gain stage. If you want the flavor, and less thickness - then the 26. Either way, you can't really go wrong.

So....if you don't need the DI's of the 3124, it's a no brainer IMO.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump