The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
List of 500 series inductor eq's 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 19th March 2015
Lives for gear

List of 500 series inductor eq's

What inductor based eq's are out there for the 500 series? So far i know of Electrodyne 511's and RND 551's

Last edited by Radic; 19th March 2015 at 12:36 AM..
Old 19th March 2015
Deleted User
Purple Audio ODD and TAV

i have the ODD and really like it for tracking .. really not a bad sound in it
Old 19th March 2015
Buzz Audio Tonic, IGS Rubber Bands
Old 19th March 2015
Jai guru deva om

The Heritage Audio 1073 stuff is excellent.

I thought the Purple was really good too, nice tone and control.

War
Old 19th March 2015
Lives for gear
FiveFish EQ..
Old 19th March 2015
TRW
Lives for gear

As inductors have a particular tone, it would be more useful to anyone reading to list them by band, as an example a Pultec type only has an inductor in the HF boost and it has a sizzly ringing tone there, whereas the Buzz Tonic has one in the LF and HF and thus the lows have a more thumpy woody tone than an RC Pultec low end, plus a wider bandwidth on the HF which is lezz zingy.

Here's the ones I can think of and where I think the inductors are located in the circuitry:

Bear in mind that the LF inductors in the Electrodyne 511 and Helios type EQs don't multitap to a large degree and thus bandwidth narrows at higher frequencies, making them snare drum killers! :-)

The non inductive lows of a Pultec are quite different than those found on the LC53A, Tonic or 511 which have wide inductor boosts. LUSH!

The ones with a single MF inductor are largely Neve inspired EQ stages, and very wide and open, quite a different tone altogether.

Buzz Tonic - Inductor HF/LF, CAPS midrange
Electrodyne 511 - inductors in both LF & HF
RND 551 - Inductors in all 3 bands
Purple TAV - toroidal/small radial inductors in all 10-bands
Purple ODD - inductors in all 4 bands
Analog Allstars EQP - toroidal HF boost inductor only
Bettermaker 502 - HF boost industor only
IGS Rubberbands - HF boost inductor only
Lindell PEX500 - HF boost inductor only
EMPEQ - HF boost inductor only
CAPI LC53A - inductors in all 3 bands, matching 550A shapes (550A are inductorless)
CAPI 553F - toroidal inductors in LF & MF, HF is RC like an API553...
Cartec FEQ - inductor in LF and MF - I think this is based on Helios?
Helios 69 - inductor in LF and MF
Realios 9052EQ - inductor in LF & MF
AML ez1073 - inductor MF only
AwTac Channel - inductor MF only I think
Heritage 73/1073 - inductor in MF only
Neve 1073 - inductor in MF only
Soundskulptor 73EQ - inductor in MF only
Fredenstein F603A - inductors in all bands
Fivefish EQ - an API553 type with inductors in LF and MF, HF is RC only?
Chandler Little Devil EQ - I think two inductor mid bands but maybe in others too? harder to see

-T
Old 19th March 2015
I understand the curve bender should be on this list.
Old 19th March 2015
TRW
Lives for gear

If only it were 500 series!
Old 20th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW View Post
Eh? From the A Designs site:
"Same frequency settings and inductors as original Pultec make it a must-have for capturing bottom end."
Old 20th March 2015
TRW
Lives for gear

Ha! Marketing probably as pultec eqp does not have an inductor in the low bands... At all!
Old 20th March 2015
Quote:
If only it were 500 series!
Ha! #shouldareadtheOP
Old 20th March 2015
Lives for gear

TRW - Wow thanks for such an informative post. Some beautiful eq's there. We really are spoilt for choice. 1073 and Heritage 73jr only have inductors in the mid freq's? That's interesting. Didn't know that.

Last edited by Radic; 20th March 2015 at 01:15 PM..
Old 20th March 2015
TRW
Lives for gear

No problem.

Hopefully it's helpful as realistically the term inductor EQ is a bit easy to throw around. Where there are and in which band has a big effect on the tone and all of the above EQ's sound different!

One of the things so loved about the Neve EQ's is the top and bottom, which are effectively baxandall RC filters with a smooth, punchy open sound. The inductor mid is the least talked about part of the Neve, so be wary when searching for an inductor EQ! The bit you want or like the sound of may or may not be the inductor! :-)

-T
Old 26th March 2015
Gear Addict

We use an inductor in our mid band on the Channel Amp.
Old 27th March 2015
Gear Addict

Daking EQ500 also
Old 28th March 2015
Quote:
No problem.

Hopefully it's helpful as realistically the term inductor EQ is a bit easy to throw around. Where there are and in which band has a big effect on the tone and all of the above EQ's sound different!

One of the things so loved about the Neve EQ's is the top and bottom, which are effectively baxandall RC filters with a smooth, punchy open sound. The inductor mid is the least talked about part of the Neve, so be wary when searching for an inductor EQ! The bit you want or like the sound of may or may not be the inductor! :-)

-T
Ha!
I have the totally opposite opinion about the Neve73 eq. My love has always been for the mid band and I nearly never uses the top band which I find too harsh and dusty for most purposes.
I guess I love inductors
Old 28th March 2015
TRW
Lives for gear

Ha! Well I'm with you, dislike top & bottom on a Neve...

-T
Old 1st November 2016
Gear Nut

Exactly.High end and Lows sucks on these ones.Mids are where the magic happens.Cheers.
Old 22nd January 2018
Lud
Gear Addict

Quote:
As inductors have a particular tone, it would be more useful to anyone reading to list them by band, as an example a Pultec type only has an inductor in the HF boost and it has a sizzly ringing tone there, whereas the Buzz Tonic has one in the LF and HF and thus the lows have a more thumpy woody tone than an RC Pultec low end, plus a wider bandwidth on the HF which is lezz zingy.

Here's the ones I can think of and where I think the inductors are located in the circuitry:

Bear in mind that the LF inductors in the Electrodyne 511 and Helios type EQs don't multitap to a large degree and thus bandwidth narrows at higher frequencies, making them snare drum killers! :-)

The non inductive lows of a Pultec are quite different than those found on the LC53A, Tonic or 511 which have wide inductor boosts. LUSH!

The ones with a single MF inductor are largely Neve inspired EQ stages, and very wide and open, quite a different tone altogether.

Buzz Tonic - Inductor HF/LF, CAPS midrange
Electrodyne 511 - inductors in both LF & HF
RND 551 - Inductors in all 3 bands
Purple TAV - toroidal/small radial inductors in all 10-bands
Purple ODD - inductors in all 4 bands
Analog Allstars EQP - toroidal HF boost inductor only
Bettermaker 502 - HF boost industor only
IGS Rubberbands - HF boost inductor only
Lindell PEX500 - HF boost inductor only
CAPI LC53A - inductors in all 3 bands, matching 550A shapes (550A are inductorless)
CAPI 553F - toroidal inductors in LF & MF, HF is RC like an API553...
Cartec FEQ - inductor in LF and MF - I think this is based on Helios?
Helios 69 - inductor in LF and MF
Realios 9052EQ - inductor in LF & MF
AML ez1073 - inductor MF only
AwTac Channel - inductor MF only I think
Heritage 73/1073 - inductor in MF only
Neve 1073 - inductor in MF only
Soundskulptor 73EQ - inductor in MF only
Fredenstein F603A - inductors in all bands
Fivefish EQ - an API553 type with inductors in LF and MF, HF is RC only?
Chandler Little Devil EQ - I think two inductor mid bands but maybe in others too? harder to see

-T
Old thread but as the Electrodyne 511B is about to be launched at namm i was looking infos on the 511. Very cool and instructive liste! Just wanted to ad that the 551 HF is hybrid design, blending inductor circuitry with capacitor-based topologies (have two and love them).
Cheers.
Old 23rd January 2018
The Lindell Audio MID-500
Attached Thumbnails
List of 500 series inductor eq's-img20180123115558.jpg  
Old 19th February 2019
Should gyrators be added to the list since it's a simulated inductor? I love the Phoenix EQs, have 6 and will be adding more. I'm not clear how gyrators compare to inductors sonically but these are really doing it for me.

PS, I don't find the Bettermaker HF boost zingy at all.
Old 19th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Buzz Audio Tonic, IGS Rubber Bands
That buzz tonic sounds so so so good.
Old 12th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustusarnone View Post
Should gyrators be added to the list since it's a simulated inductor? I love the Phoenix EQs, have 6 and will be adding more. I'm not clear how gyrators compare to inductors sonically but these are really doing it for me.

PS, I don't find the Bettermaker HF boost zingy at all.
Wow, so these phoenix eq's are doing it for ya huh?

Anyone else with experiences? I so tempted to pick up an older DRS-Q4...
Old 13th April 2019
Put it this way, I bought a DRS-Q4 because of the price drop. 3 weeks later I owned 4 of them. I love that EQ, it's beautiful. I'm not real clear on the difference between gyrator and inductors sonically, but I would say those EQs are surprisingly high fidelity, do no harm, enhancement sweeteners, but also with the ability to get quote saturated if you dig in. The first time I heard them go into heavy saturation I nearly crapped myself, they can get YUUUUGE sounding. But then they're mostly well behaved and pristine in normal use. Wide range of tone. You can turn the dials a long way in either direction and it probably never sounds terrible, very forgiving EQ. May want to use a digital before them though, they're not terribly specific, more general broad sweeteners.
Old 13th April 2019
Quote:
Put it this way, I bought a DRS-Q4 because of the price drop. 3 weeks later I owned 4 of them. I love that EQ, it's beautiful. I'm not real clear on the difference between gyrator and inductors sonically, but I would say those EQs are surprisingly high fidelity, do no harm, enhancement sweeteners, but also with the ability to get quote saturated if you dig in. The first time I heard them go into heavy saturation I nearly crapped myself, they can get YUUUUGE sounding. But then they're mostly well behaved and pristine in normal use. Wide range of tone. You can turn the dials a long way in either direction and it probably never sounds terrible, very forgiving EQ. May want to use a digital before them though, they're not terribly specific, more general broad sweeteners.
Wow thats awesome, thanks for the feedback. Curious what other pre's you've compared these to and what sources your digging these on the most. I kind of want to start committing to the pre's I've whittled my studio down to, and just get more of those, but am really tempted to try one of these outs. I'm really digging my Avedis MA5's, Daking, and A Designs P1/Pacifica vibes a lot, and feel like just sticking with those. But the price point on these (pre and eq) and feedback I've heard are really enticing me. I'm guessing these are closer to the Daking/API vibe than Neve-esque...

Man, temptations...
Old 14th April 2019
I bought them for mixing with the EQ, believe it or not, and to use as channel line amps with a passive summing setup. I have passive attenuators behind them so the idea was to have 8 channels of tweakable saturation to mix with. With the price drop they cost less than the 500 series EQs alone cost! Couldn't pass it up.

I record mostly acoustic music and like to use a 2 channel Blumlein pickup and nothing else. I have an AEA R88 and track clean with their TRP preamp, and then add color later if I want, so I probably won't be tracking with them much. But I did do a shootout experiment on acoustic gtr with DRS Q4, Portico 5012, SSL SuperAnalogue, and AEA TRP. Those are the preamps I have experience with. The Portico 5012 is very nice but has a noticeable low mid bump compared with DRS Q4. It was a little more wooly sounding. The DRS is initially more tonally balanced and more detailed. It does have a slightly more pushed sound compared with those transformerless pres, I would say it's extremely neutral and honest but with just a little bit of botox to make it a touch more robust that real life. I don't know Daking or API but I bet the comparison is fair because the distortion seems to me initially more in the upper mids. However..... if you run something hot through them they can get far more ballsy and saturated that the Portico, even with the silk on. I've never used a real 1073 but running hot electronic tracks through them at mixdown sounds to me exactly what I associate that sound with from records anyway. After all, the output stage was designed as replacement for failing vintage Neve modules. It's probably not surprising it can do that sound better than many. But it's initially much cleaner than 5012, so surely not like the Avedis.

I mix primarily electronic stuff so I don't know if my experience would help. I tend to like clean SSL channels for percussion, and Phoenix for solo elements, pads, and especially bass heavy stuff. The low and low mid bands are where they shine, IMO, especially the way they saturate. I really like the 1k6 band too though for presence and making something cut through a mix. Doesn't have the harshness I associate with SSL trying to push at 2k or thereabouts. Just very pleasant but also much more *there.*
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Avedis E27 has also gyrators.. In a great circuit they're are phenomenal!
Really good! They're the "high class" of inductors in some ways..

Cheu
Old 15th April 2019
Quote:
I bought them for mixing with the EQ, believe it or not, and to use as channel line amps with a passive summing setup. I have passive attenuators behind them so the idea was to have 8 channels of tweakable saturation to mix with. With the price drop they cost less than the 500 series EQs alone cost! Couldn't pass it up.

I record mostly acoustic music and like to use a 2 channel Blumlein pickup and nothing else. I have an AEA R88 and track clean with their TRP preamp, and then add color later if I want, so I probably won't be tracking with them much. But I did do a shootout experiment on acoustic gtr with DRS Q4, Portico 5012, SSL SuperAnalogue, and AEA TRP. Those are the preamps I have experience with. The Portico 5012 is very nice but has a noticeable low mid bump compared with DRS Q4. It was a little more wooly sounding. The DRS is initially more tonally balanced and more detailed. It does have a slightly more pushed sound compared with those transformerless pres, I would say it's extremely neutral and honest but with just a little bit of botox to make it a touch more robust that real life. I don't know Daking or API but I bet the comparison is fair because the distortion seems to me initially more in the upper mids. However..... if you run something hot through them they can get far more ballsy and saturated that the Portico, even with the silk on. I've never used a real 1073 but running hot electronic tracks through them at mixdown sounds to me exactly what I associate that sound with from records anyway. After all, the output stage was designed as replacement for failing vintage Neve modules. It's probably not surprising it can do that sound better than many. But it's initially much cleaner than 5012, so surely not like the Avedis.

I mix primarily electronic stuff so I don't know if my experience would help. I tend to like clean SSL channels for percussion, and Phoenix for solo elements, pads, and especially bass heavy stuff. The low and low mid bands are where they shine, IMO, especially the way they saturate. I really like the 1k6 band too though for presence and making something cut through a mix. Doesn't have the harshness I associate with SSL trying to push at 2k or thereabouts. Just very pleasant but also much more *there.*
Man, that is one proper a$$ review/reply. Thanks so much for your time and opinions here. I do electronic and rock-ish type stuff so I found this very helpful... Think I'm leaning towards checking one out... I like that the line in saturation can really be noticeable, and the eq's can really be helpful while mixing...

As always my only fear is what I may feel compelled to sell if I like this "better" haha.

Thanks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search