The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AMEK/NEVE 9098 Analog Console Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 17th March 2015
AMEK/NEVE 9098 Analog Console

We bought couple of years ago this amazing analog console.

Will be great to know what everyone of you think about analog console and if some one of you have ever tried this console.

Thanx for supporting us.

Alexandro Adriano
Chief Engineer
Sound Factory Europe
Sound Factory Recording Studios - Studio di Registrazione

Last edited by soundfactory; 17th March 2015 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: photos
Old 17th March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundfactory View Post
We bought couple of years ago this amazing analog console.

Will be great to know what everyone of you think about analog console and if some one of you have ever tried this console.

Thanx for supporting us.

Alexandro Adriano
Chief Engineer
Sound Factory Europe
Sound Factory Recording Studios - Studio di Registrazione
Why don't you tell us what you think about it? What do you like about it? What do you not like? How is it on maintenance? running costs?
Old 17th March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Why don't you tell us what you think about it? What do you like about it? What do you not like? How is it on maintenance? running costs?

Hey Trev

about the AMEK9098 i can say that is has an amazing definition on the mid bass range sounding really different then the SSL that has a more brilliant end.

It has a really nice compressor runned by the Rupert Neve Virtual Dynamics software with the possibility to choose from the easy compressor to the more complicated dual compressor.

The gates and all the other automations runned by the VD software are really efficient and actually i never had problems with that.

All the faders are motorised penny and giles.

The EQs are fully parametric on the mic channels and semi parametric on the side channels.

It cost a little bit for the power consumptions. Here in Italy it approx around 400 Euros per month.

The maintance doesnt require to much time.

Some times a capacitor, sometimes just a little soldering point.

I never had big troubles during last 5 years.

Its a great console for great analog sounds!!!!
Old 17th March 2015
I'm jealous.
Old 17th March 2015
Lives for gear

Que... Slipperman.. wherever he resides now?

Having seen his machine its a thing of sonic beauty... Just need a reactor to power it!

I wonder if Rupert thinks the 9098i still is the zenith of his consoles acheivments?

Wiggy
Old 18th March 2015
Lives for gear

I think I recall reading an interview a few years ago where Rupert Neve said he was particularly proud of that design.

I don't think there are very many of them so you certainly have a rare beast worth taking care of. I believe (may be hearsay) CBC Radio Canada had One in Toronto and one in Vancouver and the one in Toronto had to be cut in half to have it removed so they could upgrade to something else. I remember thinking "what a shame". I looked into buying the one in Vancouver, but the person who had it for sale at the time wanted thousands more than I was willing to pay. Besides, it was over 11 feet long I believe.
Old 18th March 2015
Lives for gear

Hi
They were built to be 'modular' so although when fully assembled they could be huge, by taking time and a spanner they can be reduced to 'carry size' pieces.
One went to Japan that was around 7 metres long.
Matt S
Old 18th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
They were built to be 'modular' so although when fully assembled they could be huge, by taking time and a spanner they can be reduced to 'carry size' pieces.
One went to Japan that was around 7 metres long.
Matt S
Modular yes, but not the frame and I believe at that point, its usefulness had come to an end and they (CBC) wanted to dump it. I'd like to think it's still out there somewhere making great records.
Old 18th March 2015
Lives for gear

Hi
The frames were 'modular' too and as all other AMEK desks were designed to be able to go through a 'standard' doorway (if you strip them down far enough) I would expect it to be the same for these.
I expect they couldn't be bothered to really try.
Matt S
Old 18th March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo4u View Post
I think I recall reading an interview a few years ago where Rupert Neve said he was particularly proud of that design.

I don't think there are very many of them so you certainly have a rare beast worth taking care of. I believe (may be hearsay) CBC Radio Canada had One in Toronto and one in Vancouver and the one in Toronto had to be cut in half to have it removed so they could upgrade to something else. I remember thinking "what a shame". I looked into buying the one in Vancouver, but the person who had it for sale at the time wanted thousands more than I was willing to pay. Besides, it was over 11 feet long I believe.

They just built only 6 of 9098.

Ive got the one that was at cbc vancouver studio one.

the one in toronto was used as a spare parts. Ive got a lot of the amek parts from cbc toronto!!!

So now im sure that i have enough spare parts to run the "baby" as long as i can!!!

The late sister 9098i was a little bit different cause is an inline console and i heard it and it sounds different but its still an amazing console!!!!
Old 18th March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo4u View Post
Modular yes, but not the frame and I believe at that point, its usefulness had come to an end and they (CBC) wanted to dump it. I'd like to think it's still out there somewhere making great records.
unfortunately at cbc they sold all the amek 9098.. one was bought by me and the other was selled as spare partrs for the remaing 3 amek in the World.

Mine its up and running in a good shape!!!

For any one wanna listen to something or try to do a summing on it just ask us!"!!

its longer then 5 meters and its heavy 1.7tons.

The frame its not modular aand the 9098 it only 36 channels + 8 stereo and 40 dual channel ( line return)
Old 18th March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
The frames were 'modular' too and as all other AMEK desks were designed to be able to go through a 'standard' doorway (if you strip them down far enough) I would expect it to be the same for these.
I expect they couldn't be bothered to really try.
Matt S

To let the amek enter the studios i had to broke the external wall.

its 5 meters long and more than 1.7 tons of weight and its impossible to move. we tried more than 40 people and nothing happen!

you can see some photos of the assembling on facebook!
Old 18th March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakinrecords View Post
For how much are these currently selling?
Today only 3 amek9098 running in the World i think its impossible to find someone selling one of it!!!!

The cost was between 60000 CAD to 300000CAD
Old 18th March 2015
Lives for gear

I think the last 9098 over here in America went down to Mexico City to a private studio about two years ago.
We're talking 9098, NOT 9098i

Fantastic consoles, best ever made.
Old 20th March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Que... Slipperman.. wherever he resides now?

Having seen his machine its a thing of sonic beauty... Just need a reactor to power it!

I wonder if Rupert thinks the 9098i still is the zenith of his consoles acheivments?

Wiggy
He sold it. He now has an RND console at BBM.
Old 20th March 2015
Gear Head

Yep, very nice console indeed. We had been working on one for many years and was a great experience! It's the kind of desk which you feel really imparts its character onto any type of music. You will surely love using it.
Old 21st March 2015
Lives for gear

Ted from Upstairs Audio has still got his 72 channel 9098i listed on VKs site. Very nice one indeed. All VU meters and immaculate condition.
Old 21st March 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
He sold it. He now has an RND console at BBM.
Really!?!? Slippy LOVED his 9098i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space1999 View Post
Ted from Upstairs Audio has still got his 72 channel 9098i listed on VKs site. Very nice one indeed. All VU meters and immaculate condition.
I saw that last night. Ah, to have 95K and a big enough room...
Old 22nd March 2015
Lives for gear

Rikky Skaggs still has one he uses at his facility. He just released a new CD entitled Mosaic done at his place on his 9098. Sorry I don't know if it is a 9098 or 9098i. CD does have that sound to it. One thing you always get from those consoles is such stunning clarity with a noise floor that is almost non existant.
Old 22nd March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post

you and me both.
Old 22nd March 2015
Lives for gear

I asked Dave Rochester a while back about which console he thought was the best sounding desk ever made and he said hands down it was the Neve 9098. When we went through my console last year he was checking the response of my console with all 56 channels to all groups plus the Left and right main outs, he got this response curve. (See pic)

He then said...."That is the exact same response I get from the Neve 9098!" I thought that for the money I was spending it put me in really good company for a very low price!

I later asked him is the Amek 9098 channel strip was the same as the pre and EQ on my desk and he said it was very similar. FWIW I have a 56 channel Amek Recall loaded with all 56 channels the Rupert Neve RN modules
Attached Thumbnails
AMEK/NEVE 9098 Analog Console-img_0551.jpg  
Old 23rd March 2015
Lives for gear

Hi
The various 9098 'boxes' used circuits from the 9098 desk. The 9098i was developed after this although I expect it is mainly detail and the change to surface mount parts. I was a little involved in the earlier 9098 but not the 'i' version. I get bored after about 10 channels so glad not to have much to do with those.
Matt S
Old 23rd March 2015
Lives for gear

wow
Old 24th March 2015
Lives for gear

Mother of God that is impressive. You are a hero my friend. I wish you all the best. And that is one impressive freq response in that screen shot. wow. Cheers
Old 24th March 2015
Lives for gear

Who assembled the Soundfactory console?
Old 24th March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space1999 View Post
Who assembled the Soundfactory console?
I assemled the console by my self..
But all the startup and the first turn on and all the initial maintenance was made by the 2 guys that did 15 years of assistance when the console was at CBC Vancouver.

Corey Dixon and John Fulton.
Old 24th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstory View Post
And that is one impressive freq response in that screen shot. wow. Cheers
Yeah that was what I thought too as we were working on my desk. I know it is not a Neve brand 9098 but seeing the response curve and hearing from someone that knows these boards inside and out that they were really similar I was pretty stoked to see this and learn that the pre and EQ and summing in my board were really close to the 9098.

Hey Soundfactory, I would love to see a response curve of your desk to compare it to the one I posted. Would be really interesting to see how they compare.

Congrats on a fantastic looking console. Very nice and very impressive.
Old 27th April 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post

...just to clarify -slippy has both the amek and the rnd as of now...
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear

Not the console per se but I had a pair of 9098 pre/eqs that I bought from a really REALLY good drummer. He liked them because they were lightning quick, and crystal clear - using them to produce percussion recordings that sounded like they were right there next to you. In my opinion he was right on the money - they did exactly that. Ultimately I sold them because my tastes gravitate towards the 'character' end of the spectrum, I look for devices that add something unreal or hyper-real to what I am putting in because that's the type of music I make HOWEVER - if you want that in your face super realistic colorless + transient response thing is what you look for, I can confirm that these units I had did that fantastically. I think they'd be a go-to for acoustic/classical etc for the extremely live colorless recordings they seem to be able to make.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search