The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Do we really miss tape that much???
Old 19th July 2015
I am a rock and roller and, at least now in 2015, drums still won't cut it without tape. Not sure rock rythum guitars or bass could get by without (because I've never succeeded enough to like it) tape...maybe. I do like what can happen after the tracks are dumped to digital...but I suppose most of what is done digitally is due to non-musicians playing like they are musicians (actually...in the rock world...I should be referring mostly to non-singers vs. singer....the guitar players and bass are usually pretty good unless you are dealing with kids).
Old 19th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmade View Post
That's why everybody , software, hardware and everyone is tying to mimic tape huh I'll guess I was wrong lmao
Good tones without the hassle? Sounds like win win to me?

I mean do you see everyone running out to recreate the sonic smorgasbord that was Rush's 'Hold Your Fire' LP. Where are those knife in the ear plugin's man?
Old 19th July 2015
SEED78
Did anyone move onto Neve 5042 or Anamod solutions and are happy with them?
Old 19th July 2015
Gear Head

I guess the existence of people who hate tape and sing the praises of DAWs to a bunch of students who just want to know about tape is one of the reasons I am still in business.

Let's make it simple: To get the extra weight off your shoulders, next time some weirdo comes around to your studio wanting a recording entirely in the analog domain, please do send them to me!

I have been doing the same with people knocking on my door asking for a digital recording.

This field is too competitive for my liking. We could really just start helping each other out.
I'll send to you guys exactly the people you want to work with, and you can send me the people I want to work with. Then we can all be happy doing our thing and not hating our costumers and what they expect from us.

But, in general, I get a lot of exited people as customers who like the fact that I don't try to talk them out of tape and tubes and that I don't even have a computer in my studio. They also love the process, they don't mind tracking an entire song again if they slip up, and they usually can perform to an extremely high standard, to not need any crutches that are definitely more easily available in the digital domain. They all love the end result and how effortlessly it can be achieved. If they are not looking for just that they wouldn't come to me anyway.

There you go, problem solved!
Old 19th July 2015
SEED78
Your studio looks great!! Good to hear there are still places like that in the UK!!
Old 19th July 2015
Here for the gear

;-)

splendid
Old 19th July 2015
Here for the gear

Oh, and the reason I whinge about tape is that I regularly have to deal with eejits who decide they want to record their EP/Single/album to tape. OK, I have a Soundcraft 760 2" machine in my studio (not a Studer, MCI or Otari so bite me you sad chunts). I also have a 1/4" Studer A807 recorder and a Tascam ATR-80 1/2" recorder. I love tape. However, as soon as I let the clients know that 2" tape will cost close to £200 a reel for 15 minutes recording at 30ips and that a 1/4" or 1/2" reel will cost at least £60 for the same amount of recording time they all decide that Pro Tools may be the best option and we can use a plug-in for the "tape" sound. However, thankfully there are exceptions. We mixed an entire album to 1/2" and then they took the tapes to Abbey Road for mastering. There the mastering engineer digitised the tape mixes but decided that the digital bounces we also sent were better sonically. The digital bounces are what he worked with. Just saying. Good record by the way.
Old 22nd July 2015
Gee, you can't beat cheap. That is the language of most of the world,...but sometimes it's a little hard to call them on it. They will always say they want it the best,...and they want it to sound as good as "fill in name here"... But in reality, they have not got a clue that it costs money to get there... So instantly they are now friends of the digital studio. And you are now going to be either lying to them and telling them it's gonna be just as good......OR,..they will go somewhere else where someone is willing to lie to them. UNFORTUNATELY,...most of the lying is getting done by people who don't even know or care about the truth...but they do care about making the sale. This happens in every single business.....but until digital came along,...I really didn't think it was going to happen in sound recording.
Old 22nd July 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanbreslin View Post
However, as soon as I let the clients know that 2" tape will cost close to £200 a reel for 15 minutes recording at 30ips and that a 1/4" or 1/2" reel will cost at least £60 for the same amount of recording time they all decide that Pro Tools may be the best option and we can use a plug-in for the "tape" sound.
I used to have the same problem in my old studio when I still used a DAW. People would come in wanting "the analog sound", but they would chose to record on the DAW to avoid tape costs. When the tracking was done, they would soon realise it is a bit "to clean" and we would spend weeks adding plugins that would provide tape saturation, harmonic distortion, even tape hiss!!!

By the time, we got to the point that they were happy with it, the session ended up being MUCH more expensive and time consuming than if we would have just done the same thing on tape and not mess around with any plug-ins.

Apart from the fact, that the band ended up paying more money, while thinking that the DAW would be cheaper, the end result was never as authentic as getting all these effect from the real thing. After seeing this happen again and again, I just threw out the DAW. Makes things easier.
I don't even use the multitrack machine much anymore. I do the mixing on the fly while the band is playing and then also do the mastering as if the mix was already printed on tape. The signal is printed directly to the master tape and it beats any amount of hours spent fiddling with plug-ins. I even have sessions that are completed in 3-4 days with excellent results.

Even if you factor in the tape costs, 4 days of studio time will always be much cheaper than 4 weeks of studio time.

It is just a psychological thing in the end. The cost of tape is something the band knows upfront. Studio time is accumulative and while a band might think they can get their album done in 4 days on a DAW, with endless plug-in fiddling, edits, overdubs, mixing, and so on, they are only extending this one day at a time until they get to four weeks. Only then will they find out how much more expensive the DAW route has been.

Of course, this cannot apply to everything.
If a one man band comes to me wanting 300 tracks of overdubs and plenty of editing, I just send them to someone with a more appropriate workflow.

In return, I also have DAW engineers send me bands who ask for a four days session wanting to get "the analog sound". It's really good if you don't have to lie to people...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search