The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DAC Converter with 2 MADI Inputs (32 ch. @ 192khz) Does it exist? Digital Converters
Old 18th March 2015
Gear Head

Sorry ntpjl but let me throw one last question at you.

I just read that "Pyramix stopped supporting DSD via MADI". However DAD only works with DSD via MADI. This leads me to believe I can't use Pyramix with DAD. Is there a different DAW you guys recommend that is proven compatible with DAD working in DSD?

Thanks so much.
Old 18th March 2015
Gear Head

Oops triple post.

Ntpljl I just saw where you wrote "DSD in the AX32 is currently only supported via MADI in a format which is compatible with the Mykerinos card."

However the mykerinos card is only compatible with 32 bit windows! Surely this can't be the only option...?
Old 18th March 2015
Gear Nut

Hey Converter Snob:
You are correct with Pyramix, MADI and Mykerinos. Mykerinos is now being discontinued as Pyramix will be 64 bit only in the next version (V10). With Horus you have the ability to use RAVENNA at any sample rate (44.1-DSD256). At sample rates of 192 kHz and under you can use MADI. The Horus base unit comes standard with one MADI port and you can add an additional one. Inputs to the system can be sent to both RAVENNA and MADI simultaneously.
Dennis Gaines
Old 19th March 2015
Lives for gear
DSD, basically dead. Also, has nothing to do with MADI. DSD is an encoding method, MADI is an audio transport.

MADI transports PCM audio, no more, no less. Maybe they can do a proprietary DSD audio over fiber, but it is not MADI. You'll never find another product that advertises DSD over MADI, because it doesn't make any sense, technically.
Old 19th March 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
DSD, basically dead. Also, has nothing to do with MADI. DSD is an encoding method, MADI is an audio transport.

MADI transports PCM audio, no more, no less. Maybe they can do a proprietary DSD audio over fiber, but it is not MADI. You'll never find another product that advertises DSD over MADI, because it doesn't make any sense, technically.
DSD isn't dead, they've even started supporting VSTs in the major DSD compatible DAWs Merging Technologies | Pyramix 9 - Professional Music, Post & Mastering Software

Also yes MADI actually can carry DSD.
Old 31st March 2015
Here for the gear

How you get DSD in or out of the computer from/to a DSD converter, like DAD? With a MADI port it's converted to PCM with a common samplerate like 192 kHz, but what about native DSD?
Old 11th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConverterSnob View Post
Thanks ntpjl. I'm very interested in the AX32 unit. I was hoping you could help me with two quick questions..

I understand DSD is only usable via MADI, but I cannot find a DSD compatible MADI audio interface anywhere on the web. Is DSD more of a theoretical thing that is currently not actually currently usable?

I understand the DAD can handle 3 MADI connections which is great. I can not find anything about the MADI standard regarding DSD online. How many channels of DSD256 audio would you get with a single MADI connection?

Thanks for any light you can shed.
On the contrary, DSD over Madi is more or less dead and I would consider it a legacy format.
The most common, cheapest and simplest way to work with DSD is with Ravenna as Dante is not DSD capable.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search