The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Otari MX5050 I am considering - 8 Track Analog
Old 12th March 2015
Gear Addict

Otari MX5050 I am considering - 8 Track Analog

I have a line on a Otari MX5050 - 8 track 1/2" for $600 in pretty good shape. I had the guy take pictures of the heads and pinch rollers, you can see everything here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...nvite=CNy34vAF

I understand the maintenance of these machines, I have a demagnetizer and am getting a calibration tape for my Fostex G-16. I am wondering if I can calibrate both machines using the same tape?

There seems to be a lot on these machines around, including spare parts.

Just wondered if anyone has had any luck with these and how they sound!

Cheers!
Old 13th March 2015
I use one from time to time. It's good-sounding, albeit a little bit noisy, and there is pretty much no headroom at all (those two things are certainly related, of course). If you push it hard, it's very, VERY unforgiving, and not particularly pleasant-sounding.

But when used conservatively, it's quite nice, as 1/2" 8-tracks go. Certainly gives you a pretty pronounced "tape" sound.

The other main hassle with it is the transport can be a bit dodgy. Both of the two 5050s I use have had issues with the motors, the rollers, you name it. They're a bit fickle there. But again, once you get the thing rockin', it's really a lot of fun. If the price is right, I'd definitely say go for it.
Old 13th March 2015
Gear Addict

Right on Benny, thanks so much for your insight. I am not sold on it yet, and $600 doesn't sound like a lot, but it isn't totally cheap either.

I really appreciate you relaying your experience!
Old 13th March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlebox View Post
Right on Benny, thanks so much for your insight. I am not sold on it yet, and $600 doesn't sound like a lot, but it isn't totally cheap either.

I really appreciate you relaying your experience!
Oh, man, I'd totally go for it for $600!
Old 13th March 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Oh, man, I'd totally go for it for $600!
Really?!

Well Damn you Benny!!! HAHAHA
Old 13th March 2015
Quote:
Really?!

Well Damn you Benny!!! HAHAHA
Haha, sorry! Seriously, though, it's a really solid machine. $600 is a bargain.
Old 13th March 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Haha, sorry! Seriously, though, it's a really solid machine. $600 is a bargain.
What kind of tapes do you use with yours? I have the equivalent of Ampex 456, just got them from a company that is manufacturing them, brand new.
Old 13th March 2015
Gear Maniac

I had the 4-track version of this machine, and it served us well for several years without trouble. I agree with Benny on the lack of headroom, it's not a machine you can slam. We didn't have transport issues with ours at all. I think it's worth $600. I don't think you need a calibration tape, there's a sticker on there that says it was calibrated in 1984! That should be good enough (I'm kidding...)
Old 13th March 2015
Quote:
What kind of tapes do you use with yours? I have the equivalent of Ampex 456, just got them from a company that is manufacturing them, brand new.
Usually rmgi. Occasionally the producer would round up some old GP9, too.
Old 1st June 2018
Lives for gear
Hi, on the Otari Mx5050 Mrk 1 (Where the electronics I/O stuff that looks like a rack of 1176's comes in its own rack, then the tape machine in another)

1. Anyone got the manual? I've found one for similar models but there are key differences

2. How exactly do the lineouts work? Pin 3 hot or something? In lieu of the manual, if anyone can break it down, I would appreciate

The unit is fine, I've managed to test everything and its all worked at least once, the problem is, it seems like whenever I turn my back the machine is changing how it works, I do something, it works, I do it again, it doesn't......

THE ONLY time this has ever happened before was what I fought the dreaded and feared Tascam 688 to the death about 3 years ago.....That nearly cost me my sanity, some say I've never fully recovered.....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search