The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann m149,comparable to Brauner VM1 or VMX? Condenser Microphones
Old 11th March 2015
Gear Head

Neumann m149,comparable to Brauner VM1 or VMX?

Hey guys,

I have finally settled to buy one of these Microphones, but before I want to get some feedback from people who have used these mics. The m149 is always described as very sensitive and modern and open sounding, just like the brauners.
When looking at the frequency response chart of the m149, there is a top end lift in the 10k region, but also a lift in the 2-6k region. Am I right with the assumption, that the m149 is closer to the vmx, due to the slight lift in the upper mid region?

Generally, just tell me watch you think. All three a modern, highly sensitive and open mics, which at least puts them in the same category, but how do they differ?

Thanks guys!!
Old 11th March 2015
Lives for gear

I have a VM1 and M149 - not very alike in my opinion.

Neumann is much more mid forward and a little thicker. Not as 3D either. Definitely a little darker and rounder, but still has a cutting upper midrange.

The VM1 is extrmely clear/clean (can be a great thing or very annoying on certain singers). This mic doesn't hide or mask/smooth anything. More air/top end than the M149. Extremely realistic sounding.

Both are great mic's but just different. I'd say the M149 is closer to a U87 and the VM1 is closer to a C12 than they are to eachother.
Old 11th March 2015
Lives for gear

I agree with spencerc - they could be considered comparable in quality and each desirable in its own right. But not necessarily interchangeable.

If you want a modern, open and revealing (sometimes to a fault) sound, then the Brauners are excellent. The M149 has more character and color and perhaps "weight" - recognisably Neumann, with smooth and present mids.

All strong contenders, at least until you hear them. The FR charts tell little about how the mics will respond to a given source and how they will combine and sit with other mix elements. Far better if you can try them out for yourself. No-one here can tell you how they'll suit a particular voice or application.
Old 11th March 2015
Lives for gear

This might help.

Brauner Valvet vs Neumann M149 - Piano
Old 11th March 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
Yes I´ve seen that thread, but it doesn´t refer to the difference between the vmx and the m149. So from all your answers I draw the conclusion, that the vmx and even the valvet x ("coloured brauner mics) are closer to the vibe of the m149, being rounder and more mid forward, but are still different because of their clarity and presence in the high frequencies and therefore more open, right?
Old 11th March 2015
Lives for gear

I will just add, I picked up the M149 last year for my studio and have not desired another LDC for vocals since. The heft of sound in the lower midrange was the primary reason I purchased the mic. If you look around, lot's of $2800 to $3500 deals on used ones.
Old 12th March 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeGreen View Post
Yes I´ve seen that thread, but it doesn´t refer to the difference between the vmx and the m149. So from all your answers I draw the conclusion, that the vmx and even the valvet x ("coloured brauner mics) are closer to the vibe of the m149, being rounder and more mid forward, but are still different because of their clarity and presence in the high frequencies and therefore more open, right?
So has anybody got experience with a vmx or valve x and a m149?
Old 12th March 2015
Gear Addict

I have the M149, VM1 and VMa here.
As written above the biggest difference between the Brauners and my 149s is in the stronger low midrange of the M149.
There is also a difference in the hi end but i'm missing the words to describe that, sorry, could be the above mentioned 3d thing.
I almost never use the VMx setting on my VMa, I prefer the VM1.
Both the VM1 and the M149 are really great mics.
I cannot imagine having problems with one or the other as there are also thing like EQs.

Some weeks ago I recorded a guy with an M149 and his voice sounded thin. First time I had that with the M149. When I rerecorded him I didn' think about the Brauner but took a CMV563 and the fullness was there.

So if you want to spend a lot of money: VM1 (or M149) plus CMV563 will cover a lot.
Old 6th May 2015
Lives for gear

I find if you can use the settings on the M149 to change the sound to get more or less bass frequencies and depth, this mic is an instrument and you have to learn to play it. M149 Delivers every time for me
Old 6th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
... but took a CMV563 and the fullness was there.
... So if you want to spend a lot of money: VM1 (or M149) plus CMV563 will cover a lot.
Are you referring to the new CMV563 or a vintage one?
Old 7th May 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos View Post
Are you referring to the new CMV563 or a vintage one?
I'm referring to a vintage one BUT I sent both of my CMVs as well as the power supplies to Andreas Grosser and he did a lot of work on them. They are looking like new and sound great.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search