The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lawson owners opinions
Old 10th March 2015
  #1
Lives for gear
 
proxy's Avatar
 

Lawson owners opinions

For all you Lawson owners, I want to hear your experience recording female vocals with the L47.

I've seen a trend of people liking L47 for male vocals, and the L251 for female vocals.

But curious, what have your experiences been recording female vocals with the L47?
Old 10th March 2015
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
A truly excellent microphone for female vocals. It is a fantastic sound with presence and sparkle. A great value microphone as well.

As any great mic, it reflects the source accurately, so whether it flatters a certain person's singing voice is a "O taste and see" proposition.

Acquire it today.
Old 10th March 2015
  #3
Lives for gear
 

L47 is working for me

I like it. It has an honest representation with a little "bigger than life" added. And it's not built with Chinese capsules, so it doesn't have that unnatural top end. Takes EQ well if you need it.
Old 10th March 2015
  #4
Gear Nut
 

The L47 is a very sheeny, sparkly microphone. Big and modern. I bought one hoping for an approximation of the U47 character and, well, they are universes apart. I sold it almost immediately. I might try it if I were looking for a big, modern, radio-pop sort of sound? Apparently some people like that stuff.
Old 10th March 2015
  #5
Lives for gear
 
proxy's Avatar
 

Thanks. It's useful to know what criteria you have for it.

I don't need it to replicate a U47.

I think big, and modern are positives.

And even your description of radio pop is a positive in my book.

I remember trying a Lawson years back with my brother in law, and it was beautifully 3D sounding, and worked great on his voice.

But my next longer term writing/recording projects are with female singers.

Thanks for the feedback all, and I'd welcome more feedback from Lawson owners.
Old 11th March 2015
  #6
Gear Head
I have a couple of the original gold plated- great on female voices. Typically use in combo with API, UA 6176, or Heritage Audio DMA73. Personally use the supercardioid more than cardioid setting. You need a quiet room though. Never plan to sell- ever.
Old 11th March 2015
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainofjars View Post
The L47 is a very sheeny, sparkly microphone. Big and modern. I bought one hoping for an approximation of the U47 character and, well, they are universes apart. I sold it almost immediately. I might try it if I were looking for a big, modern, radio-pop sort of sound? Apparently some people like that stuff.
I cannot endorse nor agree with this characterization of the Lawson L47 sound. There is nothing "modern" about it (don't have any idea what modern is as it applies to sound) and I don't know what "sheeny" is. It does have a sparkle-y sound.

It is a super high quality mic for a reasonable price. Made in Nashville and Gene Lawson knows sound.

That said, a microphone's sound is personal and how it renders voice is a subjective matter. It just has to be tried at your place.
Old 11th March 2015
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Seamus TM's Avatar
 

If you can find a quiet one (good luck), changing the tube in the Lawson makes a noticeable change.

I remember it being more noticeable with the L251 head, but it was a positive experience with both.
Old 11th March 2015
  #9
Gear Addict
I would not say its sheeny or sparkly. Its a wonderful microphone. I hve thd 47 and hve used it on women. It is a beautuful sounding mic and reminescent of a 47 ive used but not with all the low end u may hve to roll off anyway. Its good for men or women. Want closer to the l251 chnge the pattern to more omni for some more top. Never sibilent but always beautiful sound. My nxt purchase is genes 251 version..



Cant say enough good things about any of his mics or gene....
Old 11th March 2015
  #10
Gear Addict
I meant to say I have his 47mkii and its reminescent of a u47 I had used few days earlier
Old 11th March 2015
  #11
Gear Addict
Well ....maybe sparkly. And sparkly to me might mean rich in tone with articulated top.....great bargain. Never selling mine either
Old 11th March 2015
  #12
Lives for gear
 
skybluerental's Avatar
 

The LAwson FET 47 is my favorite kick drum mic of all time!
Old 11th March 2015
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Seamus TM's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental View Post
The LAwson FET 47 is my favorite kick drum mic of all time!
Yes!
The fet is one of my favorite mics ever.
So versatile.
If I ever own a studio again, I would buy at least 4 of them.
Old 11th March 2015
  #14
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I cannot endorse nor agree with this characterization of the Lawson L47 sound. There is nothing "modern" about it (don't have any idea what modern is as it applies to sound) and I don't know what "sheeny" is. It does have a sparkle-y sound.

It is a super high quality mic for a reasonable price. Made in Nashville and Gene Lawson knows sound.

That said, a microphone's sound is personal and how it renders voice is a subjective matter. It just has to be tried at your place.
Really? You think that an RCA 77DX would be just as at home in pop music on the radio in 2015 as in the 1960s? You might find some folks here who would disagree. "Sheeny" is very obviously an adjectival neologism derived from "sheen."
Old 11th March 2015
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Who said anything about a ribbon mic, baby?
Old 11th March 2015
  #16
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Who said anything about a ribbon mic, baby?
This is really not worth turning into an extended discussion, but you bucked at the notion that a microphone could sound "modern" or not. I was just demonstrating that the original characterization was perfectly intelligible and, furthermore, familiar to anyone who reads these forums.

In any case, the Lawson sounds nothing like the vintage Neumanns of the classic era. Fortunately, that's not a problem for the OP.
Old 13th March 2015
  #17
Lives for gear
 
skybluerental's Avatar
 

THe Lawson FET 47 has a lot of top end.
I would describe it as on the bright side of things, but not brittle or harsh.

It also has A LOT of low end.
This is why I love it on kick drum (must use 20 db pad!).
Plenty of bottom, but also a lot of top in just the right place to get the definition out of a kick.
Every time I use something else on a kick, I wish it was the Lawson FET 47.

I really dont use it anywhere else.
Tried it on vocals and did not like it.
It seemed a bit strident up top and not as warm and cozy as my U67, KMS 84 or KM 86's.

It is so good on kick drum, we keep it around just for that!

Also built very well!
Old 13th March 2015
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Seamus TM's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental View Post
THe Lawson FET 47 has a lot of top end.
I would describe it as on the bright side of things, but not brittle or harsh.

It also has A LOT of low end.
This is why I love it on kick drum (must use 20 db pad!).
Plenty of bottom, but also a lot of top in just the right place to get the definition out of a kick.
Every time I use something else on a kick, I wish it was the Lawson FET 47.

I really dont use it anywhere else.
Tried it on vocals and did not like it.
It seemed a bit strident up top and not as warm and cozy as my U67, KMS 84 or KM 86's.

It is so good on kick drum, we keep it around just for that!

Also built very well!
My favorite ever on kick and electric guitar amps.
It always worked for me in these two spots.

I've used it with a U87 as a mismatched pair on overheads with great results.
Floor tom; second only to the R84 for the thunder.
One mic vocal/acoustic - nice.

The high end is particular, I agree.
It either works perfectly, or it's a little off.
That being said, I have never thought it was flat out wrong.
A bit like a 414 in that way, with more balls.

I never tried it on bass cab, but I have a feeling that I would have loved it.

Great workhorse mic.
Old 13th March 2015
  #19
Lives for gear
 
skybluerental's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus TM View Post
My favorite ever on kick and electric guitar amps.
It always worked for me in these two spots.

I've used it with a U87 as a mismatched pair on overheads with great results.
Floor tom; second only to the R84 for the thunder.
One mic vocal/acoustic - nice.

The high end is particular, I agree.
It either works perfectly, or it's a little off.
That being said, I have never thought it was flat out wrong.
A bit like a 414 in that way, with more balls.

I never tried it on bass cab, but I have a feeling that I would have loved it.

Great workhorse mic.
Oh yeah, forgot about how good it is on bass cab.
Try it.
If I had 2, I would put the second one on bass.

Never tried floor tom, but that is a good idea.

Are you the cat who sold the Sphere to Shirk?
I have recorded on that console a few times now.
What a lovely desk.
Old 13th March 2015
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Seamus TM's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental View Post
Oh yeah, forgot about how good it is on bass cab.
Try it.
If I had 2, I would put the second one on bass.

Never tried floor tom, but that is a good idea.

Are you the cat who sold the Sphere to Shirk?
I have recorded on that console a few times now.
What a lovely desk.
I am!
I'm so happy that everyone is loving it.
That thing deserves to be loved.
Old 14th March 2015
  #21
Lives for gear
 
druhms's Avatar
Back in the "Glory Days", wasn't there a bit of an Upper Mid issue on his mics? I don't think anyone questioned Gene's work, his solid design/build, bold choice of color scheme, but I seem to remember a period when you could send your mic back and he would swap a couple resistors (or whatever) out for free. After that, it's been pretty consistent with Lawson.
If you are finding your mic a bit harsh, check it's build date.
JJ
Old 14th March 2015
  #22
Gear Head
 

Lawson Mics

I had an original gold L47 which I sold, regrettably. I bought (from a seller here) an L47MkII and later a Fet 251. really well made mics, great customer service. I have found the combo of heads and bodies to be useful and versatile. Depends on the voice of course but generally I have preferred the 47 on both male and female vox.
Love the 47 Fet on kick. I've used the 251 Fet and tube happily on acoustic guitars. BTW, I also have both Manley LDs and the Lawson coexists well, just a different sound. YMMV.
Old 15th April 2015
  #23
Gear Addict
 
Rickard's Avatar
I have an L47, a 251 mkII and a 251 fet (which means I can also have 2 251s and a 47 fet). I love these mics. The L47 sounds great on female and male alike. I also love the 47 fet on kick and the 251 is not bad either. Great mics.

Dean
Old 15th April 2015
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
LUV our Lawson gold 47. Great tone and timbre. Real tube sound--admirable build quality, excellent customer service.

Highly recommended!
Old 16th April 2015
  #25
Gear Maniac
 
sharkboy's Avatar
I'm very happy with my tube L47. Bought one new last year, mostly because a friend brought me over for some session work close to 20 years ago and the sound stuck in my head. When he mixed my voice (backing vocals), he could bring me way down and I still cut through easily. At the time, I did some other work around that time and everybody put me on big dynamics for easy blending.

I don't regard it as a U47 so much, as something different in a similar vein. Mine has no noticeable hum, but to the point made earlier, it has a lot of reach: the room has an impact on the sound of the mic more than most. I haven't done a spectrum analysis on it, but I would say that it is strong in the lows and the highs. To the point about female vocals, I would happily use this mic, but be prepared to use EQ for the strong top end.

Really, same for acoustic guitars or any instrument with a bright top end, it takes a little time and positioning, as well as EQ to get the best sound (yes, it takes longer than probably most of the others I have, but it also has something that they don't.)
Old 10th May 2015
  #26
Lives for gear
 
proxy's Avatar
 

Thanks for all the great replies to this.

Somehow I lost track of this thread.

Super to hear all the great experiences with this mic.

I currently have an AK47mkii and a U87Ai, but am still tempted by the L47.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump