The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Aml 54f50 Help!!! 500 Series Preamps
Old 10th March 2015
Lives for gear
Aml 54f50 Help!!!

I just received my Aml 54f50. After struggling to get it properly into my Api lunchbox 6...I was eager to run a signal through it. My lunchbox is connected to my patchbay via db25 and I could not get a signal. My question is can the 54f50 pass a signal via db25 or only via xlr?
Old 10th March 2015
Lives for gear

...dude...as I recall you also have the Awtac channel amplifier...dude...

(sorry I can't help you as I lust for, but don't have the 54f50...), but please do get it sorted out and please let us know your impressions...
Old 10th March 2015
Bear in mind you can't go in and out of the same channel on your lunchbox. For exams on my desk I needed to go in channel 1 and out channel 3. I think you can also go in 1 and out 2 but Since mine is installed in a custom unit made just for it, I'm afraid I can't remember for sure. If in doubt, message Colin directly.
Old 11th March 2015
Gear Head

That's correct - in on 1, out on 3. Also, make sure you don't have any stereo linking going on between any of the three slots. This caused me some grief at first.
Old 11th March 2015
Lives for gear
So I got it patched in via xlr and passing a signal...but my signal is extremely weak. The meter shows input and output but no gain reduction. I crank the makeup gain all the way but still get a weak signal. I hope it's user error and not the unit. Any suggestions?
Old 11th March 2015
Lives for gear

Hi
Since it is mid afternoon in the UK now, email or call AML directly and you will probably get an answer today.
There may be some peculiarity with your particular rack. There shouldn't be but it is possible.
Matt S
Old 4th April 2015
Lives for gear
So turns out I had a defective/damaged during shipping unit. Vintage King and Colin got to work and quickly I received a new unit. This thing sounds amazing! Now it has 2 sets of numbers on the vu meter. Red ones and black ones. I'd like to know specifically what these represent. I was assuming that the black numbers represent gain reduction. Can someone please help me distinguish the 2 before I began crushing the life out of my vocal takes?
Old 5th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
Now it has 2 sets of numbers on the vu meter. Red ones and black ones. I'd like to know specifically what these represent. I was assuming that the black numbers represent gain reduction. Can someone please help me distinguish the 2 before I began crushing the life out of my vocal takes?

I don't even own one but watching the pics of it looks like there's an input/output scale and a GR scale.. the GR is the one on the right side ranging from 1 to 16..

The other scale with + and - labeled numbers is your input or output meter.. ( there's a switch on the right side of the meter that selects what the meter shows, as several other comps have)..

Btw even without knowing that, I'd do something more important.. use your ears!

I hope this helps,

Cheu

Last edited by cheu78; 5th April 2015 at 05:40 PM..
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search