The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 550s - Old vs New 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 13th March 2015
  #31
IMO -
None are un-usable! I tend to prefer the sound of the older '70s NY 550's by quite a bit, and find the 550 has the most vibe/mojo, it can be very sweet on OH's, Room, Ac gtr, El gtr. Old NY 560's just rock or rawk- I love them on snare top or bottom and bass gtr, sometimes heavy El Gtr. The 550b the most clean and modern, old 550A's close to 550's, and new 550a's cleaner and more modern like it's cousin the 'b'. The extra frequencies on the 550b don't matter as much to me in the 'digital age' because if I need narrow band cuts, a MDW or other well designed plug does this quite well or better. I 'd rather have the vibe/mojo. 554's are the least 'API' of the range but hardly unusable. Better than lot's of console eq out there, and more vibey than Neotek, Audient, etc.. The one I pick the least, but hardly unusable. Let's face it all of them save the 554 are pretty broad strokes and aren't what you are going to pick if the track you got sent to mix has a massive '' or 'plonk' on the snare, or a muddy, flabby kick. Great for tilt's and changing overall EQ balance, but far from a surgical tool. YMMV.

Best-
Jonathan
Old 16th March 2015
  #32
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer View Post
the 2dB steps--they keep him honest
true, If you have to use more than 2db of boost chances are it's a poorly recorded source anyway. Especially going through a nice clean transparent A/D.... You should be able to dial in a good sound without eq without issue. also if you track and mix on a desk and you need outboard eq then your board needs to be replaced with something competent. 550 is not utterly unusable..the 560 is, what a waste that unit is.
Old 16th March 2015
  #33
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by therock View Post
true, If you have to use more than 2db of boost chances are it's a poorly recorded source anyway. Especially going through a nice clean transparent A/D.... You should be able to dial in a good sound without eq without issue. also if you track and mix on a desk and you need outboard eq then your board needs to be replaced with something competent. 550 is not utterly unusable..the 560 is, what a waste that unit is.
Yikes . I've been doing it all wrong all these years.
Some crazy info right there.
I'll tell all my mixer friends to replace their ssl's and neves because God forbid they use outboard pultecs and gml's.
(Tell that to guys like CLA and Brauer etc)
Well I've seen some dramatic eq and filters use on well recorded stuff to great effect.
Yeah unusable?!Love my 560's.. A little dab'll do ya.
Old 16th March 2015
  #34
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 

Who thinks the Melcor GME-20s are practically the same or very similar to the original API-550s?
Old 16th March 2015
  #35
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I'll tell all my mixer friends to replace their ssl's
not to go off topic but....

SSLs while not terrible for an IC based eq still don't sound half as good 554 which are still primarily discrete so its apparent people dissing 554 have never actually used one..... Cool say you hate 554 but please be consistent and acknowledge SSL eq sounds as bad or worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
and neves
VR? terrible sounding board


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
because God forbid they use outboard pultecs and gml's.
different applications than API ... pultecs are great for a burst of color and sweetening, gmls are for precision and surgery.
different animals


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Yeah unusable?!Love my 560's.. A little dab'll do ya.
useable on drums or cutting some mud on guitars
Old 16th March 2015
  #36
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
so from your post #32 you changed your tune pretty quickly lol
Old 16th March 2015
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Tone Laborer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by therock View Post
true, If you have to use more than 2db of boost chances are it's a poorly recorded source anyway. Especially going through a nice clean transparent A/D.... You should be able to dial in a good sound without eq without issue. also if you track and mix on a desk and you need outboard eq then your board needs to be replaced with something competent. 550 is not utterly unusable..the 560 is, what a waste that unit is.
I think he was referring to when you engage the 550, provided the source is in frequency range you've selected, it is a very noticeable, profound change, and you get to decide if you really want it, or not. There's no pussy footing around, so to speak. At least that's how I interpreted it.

Last edited by Tone Laborer; 16th March 2015 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: Spelling B Champion
Old 16th March 2015
  #38
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
so from your post #32 you changed your tune pretty quickly lol
I guess I was out of tune in that post?? I was drop C in that post

I'd like a graphic with 1.5... 3k 6k etc... also 750 would be nice.

I actually drew up a clone of 560 in Cadence with switchable octaves, I just haven't got around to building it. I need to find a way to make the switching more stable while fitting multiple daughter boards for each octave all in a 500 series box.. I was thinking 50, 100, 200, 400, 800 1.6 3.2........ and 94, 187, 375, 750, 1.5... 3k 6k 12k and then the standard 560 octave pattern... I know it would sell like hotcakes

maybe a 4 octave switchable unit? Sort of like the old Orban "Para-graphic" but with the high quality 560 sound

Last edited by therock; 16th March 2015 at 06:45 AM..
Old 16th March 2015
  #39
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by therock View Post
I guess I was out of tune in that post?? I was drop C in that post

I'd like a graphic with 1.5... 3k 6k etc... also 750 would be nice.

I actually drew up a clone of 560 in Cadence with switchable octaves, I just haven't got around to building it. I need to find a way to make the switching more stable while fitting multiple daughter boards for each octave all in a 500 series box.. I was thinking 50, 100, 200, 400, 800 1.6 3.2........ and 94, 187, 375, 750, 1.5... 3k 6k 12k and then the standard 560 octave pattern... I know it would sell like hotcakes

maybe a 4 octave switchable unit? Sort of like the old Orban "Para-graphic" but with the high quality 560 sound
no worries
sounds like a cool build.
I'm eyeballing some old Aengus graphics.love them
Old 16th March 2015
  #40
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
yeah I do wish the 550's on my console were 1db..just to gas the ov-heads a bit etc.
2 can be too much.
Old 16th March 2015
  #41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I'm eyeballing some old Aengus graphics.love them
Pretty awesome IMO, not clean, not safe, but lots of fun... sort of like some dates in the '80s.


Best-
Jonathan

Last edited by [email protected]; 16th March 2015 at 06:36 PM..
Old 28th May 2015
  #42
Ive read somewhere that they were API 550 with only 1 op-amps. When i see some pics of others 550. I sée they got 2 of them.

I got the 550b recently and i'm notre confortable to open it (m'y first high end 500 equipment).

Dors anyone got pictures from the inside of the API 550b ?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump