The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nagra Seven as AD converter
Old 5th March 2015
Gear Nut

Nagra Seven as AD converter

Hello,

Just wanted to get some thoughts on the subject.

I am an "analog guy" and only convert to digital to make cds or mp3s from tape.
I do not do any digital mastering work (or claim to)

I have an old Nagra III that I sometimes use to record live shows etc. but I would like to be able to record for more than 30 min. w/o changing reels. I'd also like to be able to record band practices and other casual recordings that wouldn't eat up tape and put wear on my machines.

I also like the idea of being able to give clients a higher quality digital copy of a master tape than a CDR burned from my old Denon.

In a lot of ways the Nagra VII is probably overkill my my needs- but if the A/D converters are really great and nearly as good as stand alone ones in the 2K price range - this little unit might be a good choice for me.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Bill

Last edited by mr scratchy esq; 5th March 2015 at 10:43 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 6th March 2015
Lives for gear

Most Nagrists hide in the Remote Possibilities forum. Best to ask your question there.
Old 9th March 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
Most Nagrists hide in the Remote Possibilities forum. Best to ask your question there.
thanks - could a moderator move this thread into the Remote Forum?

-Bill
Old 9th March 2015
Lives for gear

If you want to record with the Nagra Seven, then it's a really great recorder. If you only need two channels of great a/d conversion, the Nagra is complete overkill. It would be a shame not to use it as intended--as a tape recorder.

May I suggest buying a really great two channel a/d converter such as a Mytek 192? That way you come in around $1000 instead of around $3500 (Nagra with case) and have a tool dedicated to what you really are aiming to do.

If you are seduced by the look and feel of the Nignog, then by all means, purchase it today from Nancy Belt at Audio Technology Switzerland USA. Her tel # is (615) 451-4168
Old 9th March 2015
Gear Nut

Thanks Plush,
I guess I really like the ability to do both with the Nagra- use it as a recorder and use it as an AD convertor. Yes, I am seduced by the appearance of it too- I love my Nagra III- although like I said I wish it had a longer record time w/o changing reels...

Last edited by mr scratchy esq; 9th March 2015 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 10th March 2015
Gear Nut

Plush - In another thread I saw that you had first hand experience with quite a few dedicated A/D converters Forssell etc. How does the Nagra compare strictly as an A/D converter sound quality wise?
Old 10th March 2015
Lives for gear

No surprise but I think Plush's comments are spot on.

I'll add that you might consider purchasing a used unit. Even the Nagra VI is sometimes "affordable" on the used market.

And you might consider some Sound Devices units. While I have a Nagra VI, I had a SD 702 for a period of time. I preferred the converters in the Nagra to the SD unit (but the round trip, AD and then DA, as I never isolated and compared the AD), but IMO they were not far apart. I've used some pretty high end stand alone converters and the converters in both the Nagra and the SD products are very good.

Last, if possible it is probably a good idea to try out the units before purchase.
Old 11th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr scratchy esq View Post
Plush - In another thread I saw that you had first hand experience with quite a few dedicated A/D converters Forssell etc. How does the Nagra compare strictly as an A/D converter sound quality wise?
Nagra Seven is a super high quality a/d converter. It is in a league far above the heavily advertised brands such as Lynx, Universal, Apogee etc.
It is useable to all high quality recording needs.

That said, the all in one solution that is the Nagra Seven is not made to represent or offer the same quality that one can get in the super converter category.

A super converter is one such as the Digital Audio Denmark AX24 or AX34; the Merging HAPI with premium cards. Here one pays tens of thousands of dollars to obtain the ultimate thinking in conversion. I own both of the above and am particularly impressed by the DAD conversion.

Mr. Scratchy--my advice is to please focus on what you REQUIRE. Do you require a new a/d converter? A new d/a converter? Do you need a two channel hard disk / card recorder??

I advise you to buy only what you REQUIRE.
Old 11th March 2015
Gear Nut

Thanks for the response.

Since I do not do any mastering I certainly do not need the absolute best in A/D (or D/A conversion). I do not want to spend more than 3K total for an AD converter and recorder.

As I mentioned before I would like a portable hi-res digital recorder because I want longer high quality recording time (without changing reels) than my Nagra III can provide.
I'm also starting to run out of shelf space from all the shows I've recorded on the III and it just makes more practical sense to have digital masters for documenting my band's shows and practices.

The only digital equipment I own is a Denon CDR recorder and a new iMac. I'd like to be able to create a better sounding digital copy of my analog master tapes. I like the fact the Nagra Seven can perform several functions that I need better than my existing equipment. I also like the fact that is excels in at least one category (as a stand alone 2 ch. recorder).
Old 11th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr scratchy esq View Post
Since I do not do any mastering I certainly do not need the absolute best in A/D (or D/A conversion). I do not want to spend more than 3K total for an AD converter and recorder . . .
It's my understanding that the converters and the mic amps in the Nagra VII are the same as those in the Nagra VI (which I own, though I haven't yet used the N7).

That being the case, I can confirm that the A/D conversion is superb and equal or beyond what you would expect to find in other professional machines with a similarly compact/portable footprint. By appearances, the Nagra VII also represents the excellent ergonomics and engineering that you'd expect from Nagra.

Given the requirements you've outlined (portable recorder *and* excellent conversion), I'd think this would be a great choice, provided you can fit it into your budget (they appear to go for around US$3.3K for the version without the time code option).
Old 9th April 2015
Gear Nut

Well I decided to go for it - the Nagra Seven will be hands tomorrow. It will also be a great 2-track back up to my ATR-102 for stereo mixdowns.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search