The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone Heard the Chandler REDD Pre Yet? Condenser Microphones
Old 5th March 2015
Lives for gear

Anyone Heard the Chandler REDD Pre Yet?

Really curious about this, and I believe I read that they were in fact shipping...if true has anyone heard it yet?

TH
Old 5th March 2015
Lives for gear

Would love to hear opinions too
Old 5th March 2015
Lives for gear

Would be nice if Chandler put up more demos. They have a short YT vid showing off the Revolution guitar sound, but surely the REDD is good for more than that...
Old 5th March 2015
Gear Nut

Would love to know how it compares to the new Dizengoff D4, too. BIG price difference between the 2...curious to know if it's "worth it"
Old 7th March 2015
Gear Guru

Ive had one here for about a week.still trying it on diff things but so far really dig it.
first random thoughts- test #1 was drums single u67 cut flat then with pultec top added.classic old school mono.great.
I tried it w/ a km56 on martin acoustic last night vs. original Trident A range,original 1969 lustraphone Helios and neve 1084's.
kinda apples /oranges but to my liking the Redd beat the Helios when cut flat.bigger more life.but then the Helios was just great w/ 10k boost.
also then did the Redd w/ a 10k pultec boost=verty lush,big with detail.beautiful.
they feel not as bright as I remember using some of the Hinson versions.[some of his varied build to build though]the chandler feels a tiny bit smoother more balanced sounding.fine by me.
The transformers are large.
The Neves and A Ranges were great too but more aggressive-solid state/tighter,different.The A-Ranges have the most extended top end of all but interestingly the Redd had more vibe and overall "body" to the sound.
dying to try two padded on mix buss.

Last edited by RoundBadge; 9th March 2015 at 05:00 PM..
Old 7th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Ive had one here for about a week.still trying it on diff things but so far really dig it.
Hey so for vocals, male or female, does it sound upfront and warm or simply murky like some tube gear?

I'm looking for a pre soon and I've had so many in the past....my two favorites have been the 512c and the Chandler TG...I realize this is a whole different thing...but nevertheless am curious, having recorded on the real thing.

Thx
Tom
Old 7th March 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Hey so for vocals, male or female, does it sound upfront and warm or simply murky like some tube gear?

I'm looking for a pre soon and I've had so many in the past....my two favorites have been the 512c and the Chandler TG...I realize this is a whole different thing...but nevertheless am curious, having recorded on the real thing.

Thx
Tom
Hey Tom,I havent really dug into vocals yet but so far no murkyness at all.
looking inside,build is rock solid.the signal path looks very straight forward,parts look grade A and with those big custom transformers there's not much to mess up the sound.
sounds big and lush but you can color it varying the gain structure.
nice detail throughout.I'm currently very busy but trying to really wring it out this coming week.
also curious to see how it sounds next to my Retro Powerstrip!
The TG would be a lot different as it was to my old Neves.
Tomorrow tracking guitars I'm thinking of trying a royer 122 through the Redd and a 57 through a Neve.could be cool!

Last edited by RoundBadge; 7th March 2015 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: shite grammar
Old 7th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0b0 View Post
Would love to know how it compares to the new Dizengoff D4, too. BIG price difference between the 2...curious to know if it's "worth it"
Wow saw that, yes that would be really interesting ...
Old 7th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Tom,I havent really dug into vocals yet but so far no murkyness at all.
looking inside,build is rock solid.the signal path looks very straight forward,parts look grade A and with those big custom transformers there's not much to mess up the sound.
sounds big and lush but you can color it varying the gain structure.
nice detail throughout.I'm currently very busy but trying to really wring it out this coming week.
also curious to see how it sounds next to my Retro Powerstrip!
The TG would be a lot different as it was to my old Neves.
Tomorrow tracking guitars I'm thinking of trying a royer 122 through the Redd and a 57 through a Neve.could be cool!
Wow sounds great.

Please update when you've heard this beast on vocals!

Thanks man
TH
Old 7th March 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Wow sounds great.

Please update when you've heard this beast on vocals!

Thanks man
TH
sure thing
Old 9th March 2015
Gear Guru

update:used the Redd on E guitars all day.
Neve 1084/57 and Redd/royer 122.side by side in phase.
needed to engage the redd -20 pad to get it clean.
sounded great.
57=cut/focus,royer =body/warmth and size.
no eq.blended 50/50.perfect.
Old 9th March 2015
A slight aside but I'm in the process of having a tube sidecar built. We decided on using redd47 pres in it. At this point we are on rev 3 of the preamp section and this one completely blows away literally anything else in the building. Big, smooth and with a fairy dust sparkle like nothing else I've heard.

Sorry. Off topic but I'm sooo frikkin excited I can't keep it to myself...

Old 9th March 2015
Gear Addict
Bloody hell Trev! Your place is getting ridiculous! What a great choice you can offer your clients... Is this going in a 1608 frame also?
Old 9th March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
A slight aside but I'm in the process of having a tube sidecar built. We decided on using redd47 pres in it. At this point we are on rev 3 of the preamp section and this one completely blows away literally anything else in the building. Big, smooth and with a fairy dust sparkle like nothing else I've heard.

Sorry. Off topic but I'm sooo frikkin excited I can't keep it to myself...

Hello Trev,

very impressive studio by the way, congrats

Can i ask if the redd47 you are speaking is based on DIY schematic, or other, i imagine it's a custom build ? What is revision 3 ? Is it build by analogue addict UK ? Really curious...

And thank you so much for sharing your experience, after seeing your review on the AML 1073 i'm sold and ready to buy a bunch !

Greetings from France,

Lionel
Old 9th March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrus Fresh View Post
Bloody hell Trev! Your place is getting ridiculous! What a great choice you can offer your clients... Is this going in a 1608 frame also?
Thanks man. Not going in the 1608. It'll work as a free standing desk so it can be wheeled between my A room and B room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
Hello Trev,

very impressive studio by the way, congrats

Can i ask if the redd47 you are speaking is based on DIY schematic, or other, i imagine it's a custom build ? What is revision 3 ? Is it build by analogue addict UK ? Really curious...

And thank you so much for sharing your experience, after seeing your review on the AML 1073 i'm sold and ready to buy a bunch !

Greetings from France,

Lionel
Thanks man. Not based on a DIY schematic. Based on the original schematic but then modded a little to please my ear (cos I'm a bit of a fussy git) as a result it is revision 3! You can read more about my journey over here: A modern take on a vintage set up

But anyway, back to scheduled programming. Wade's 47 is awesome. Try it for yourself peeps!
Old 9th March 2015
Quote:
Thanks man. Not going in the 1608. It'll work as a free standing desk so it can be wheeled between my A room and B room.

Thanks man. Not based on a DIY schematic. Based on the original schematic but then modded a little to please my ear (cos I'm a bit of a fussy git) as a result it is revision 3! You can read more about my journey over here: A modern take on a vintage set up

But anyway, back to scheduled programming. Wade's 47 is awesome. Try it for yourself peeps!
Sorry if i wasn't clear, i wasn't sure if you speak about a Wade's 47 custom design for you or based on original schematic and custom made... anyway, you answer to my question... interesting... Thanks for the feedback, keep up the good work !

Yes absolutely, looking forward to try Wade's 47 pre asap
Old 9th March 2015
I'm dying to get my hands on that Redd and was curious if the low end was kinda murky like a 610 or had too much low mid beef on vocals. It sounds like this thing has solid low end and a little sparkle to the top. Time to demo one I guess!
Old 10th March 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPProAudio View Post
I'm dying to get my hands on that Redd and was curious if the low end was kinda murky like a 610 or had too much low mid beef on vocals. It sounds like this thing has solid low end and a little sparkle to the top. Time to demo one I guess!
indeed.it absolutely blows any modern 610 pre out of the water.
seriously another league.
big low end,clear mid range and some nice fairy dust smoothness up.
add to that a big range of sounds depending on how you gain stage it.
Old 11th March 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
indeed.it absolutely blows any modern 610 pre out of the water.
seriously another league.
Hey RoundBadge,
do you think the Redd47 is also that much better then the UA 610 Signature Editions?
Old 12th March 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ___GLM___ View Post
Hey RoundBadge,
do you think the Redd47 is also that much better then the UA 610 Signature Editions?
Well I do know from experience the repro ones UA makes don't sound like original 610's.
It also reminds me of the reissue Helios dont sound like the original modules they were supposedly clones of.(I did a direct comparison to 4 Lustraphones).
But I haven't heard signature 610 version.
What's the difference ?
Old 12th March 2015
Gear Maniac

As far as I know, the SE Edition differs from the standard re-issue due to NOS tubes and cinemag transformers. Never compared each other, but definetly a per-amp which I want to keep. Well, its time for testing the Redd I guess
Old 12th March 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ___GLM___ View Post
As far as I know, the SE Edition differs from the standard re-issue due to NOS tubes and cinemag transformers. Never compared each other, but definetly a per-amp which I want to keep. Well, its time for testing the Redd I guess
Cool.
I just remember John Hinson telling me after he helped design the reissue they cheaped out on the final version,certain aspects like the transformers.
I remember hearing a real 610 module and thinking the UA was not the same.
much woolier sounding.
Old 12th March 2015
Gear Nut

Any pictures of the inside of the 47?
Old 13th March 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwdd View Post
Any pictures of the inside of the 47?
yes
[deleted by mod]
the build quality/parts of the Chandler Device is solid.
don't know about [any] "other" device but using this unit the past week and a half alongside the vintage classics = sounds awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone Heard the Chandler REDD Pre Yet?-redd-internal.jpg  

Last edited by RoundBadge; 13th March 2015 at 01:43 AM.. Reason: re-worded for safe passage
Old 13th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
yes I know.post edited. thanks, but it really gets me going when random people post utter nonsense about the quality stuff.
The only "bad karma" was by the original poster, yes.

TH
Old 13th March 2015
Gear Guru

anyways.. to get back OT.
had a little Moog/Korg MS20 di tracking party last night.
everything with the redd and retro powerstrip Di's.
both sounded better hitting the amp stages hotter.
both were great.
just the right amount of round old school vibe with enhanced harmonic stuff.
Old 13th March 2015
Here for the gear

The huge Chickenhead knobs are a little goofy looking for my tastes, but the rest looks amazing. Inside and out. Their "first time available outside Abbey Road" jive is laughable though. That wasn't even true in '64, let alone the last 10 years.
Old 13th March 2015
Quote:
The only "bad karma" was by the original poster, yes.

TH
I agree entirely. That is what the 'report post' button is for. Getting into online arguments about it is not good for anyone. We are trying very hard to hit this kind of thing when it happens. Please help us out by not rising to it.

Now, let's hear more about WAdes lovely redd gear...
Old 13th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree entirely. That is what the 'report post' button is for. Getting into online arguments about it is not good for anyone. We are trying very hard to hit this kind of thing when it happens. Please help us out by not rising to it.

Now, let's hear more about WAdes lovely redd gear...
Yes should have used "report post" though I have in the past with little result. Will try in the future.

The post just got me a bit riled up as the Chandler gear has proven to be reliable, awesome and unique all around. Plus Wade is a hard working great guy who still takes time to speak with customers.

TH
Old 13th March 2015
Gear Nut
Loving the Chandler REDD on Vocals & Acoustic Gtr... loads of body with a smooth top end... sounds like a record.

Before purchasing, I didn't need a new pre, but just the same I had to have it. Definitely glad I pulled the trigger.

Now thru 3/23, Sweetwater is offering 36 month 0% interest... it's a good time to buy.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search