The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone Heard the Chandler REDD Pre Yet? Condenser Microphones
Old 14th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Daddy View Post
Loving the Chandler REDD on Vocals & Acoustic Gtr... loads of body with a smooth top end... sounds like a record.

Before purchasing, I didn't need a new pre, but just the same I had to have it. Definitely glad I pulled the trigger.

Now thru 3/23, Sweetwater is offering 36 month 0% interest... it's a good time to buy.
Yeah I had a funny feeling this was going to be a winner, thanks for the feedback on vocals and acoustic, which it would be used for a bunch around here.
Old 14th March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
sure thing
Dear RB
Thanks in advance for more of your findings with the REDD.
Congrats on your new pre!
Old 14th March 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie Smith View Post
Dear RB
Thanks in advance for more of your findings with the REDD.
Congrats on your new pre!
thanks.
..funny just when I swear off buying another bloody pre amp ever and Wade makes this.
Old 14th March 2015
Gear Guru

another interesting thing when printing left then right mix stems through the pre just for kicks.
the 20db pad wasn't nearly enough on the front end for the +4 signals.
had to run the console mix fader waay low to get it not to saturate..even w/ voltage and fine gain all the way to the left.
had to run shure inline pads [-15]to keep it from saturating way too early.
still going to get a friends redd in to pair up for mixes asap.
Old 14th March 2015
Lives for gear

Anyone care to share some clips?
Old 14th March 2015
Quote:
thanks.
..funny just when I swear off buying another bloody pre amp ever and Wade makes this.
Classic, know what you mean!

I'm familiar with Telefunken V72's.....
Is the Redd 47 similar in function/sonic.
I'm not a tech/under the hood engineer, but how does the REDD 47 compare to a vintage v72?
Any input is very appreciated
Old 14th March 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:

I'm not a tech/under the hood engineer, but how does the REDD 47 compare to a vintage v72?
honestly I haven't compared.
from memory [to my ears], the Redd feels a bit more high fidelity .
Old 14th March 2015
Quote:

That's perfect feedback.
Thanks for your amazing passion and etiquette you exhibit in Gearslutz.
You are a gem in the community.
Old 14th March 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I have a TAB V72 racked pair as well as 2 of the John Hinson Redd 47's... I definitely agree with RoundBadge. 47's are definitely a bit more "hi-fi" for lack of a better term.

Dunno when or if I'll have a chance to shoot out the Hinson vs Chandler Redd 47's. It'd be interesting to here the two side by side sometime!
Old 14th March 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
That's perfect feedback.
Thanks for your amazing passion and etiquette you exhibit in Gearslutz.
You are a gem in the community.
thanks.glad to share
I used to be a bit too "passionate" w/ trolls here.
not so much anymore.
its just gear.life is too short lol
Old 14th March 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KROK View Post
I have a TAB V72 racked pair as well as 2 of the John Hinson Redd 47's... I definitely agree with RoundBadge. 47's are definitely a bit more "hi-fi" for lack of a better term.

Dunno when or if I'll have a chance to shoot out the Hinson vs Chandler Redd 47's. It'd be interesting to here the two side by side sometime!
I'd love to hear your thoughts if you ever get to a/b.
John built me 4 124's a few years back.sadly I was about to get him to do some pre's but he's not really around anymore .
I think these will do!
Old 14th March 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'd love to hear your thoughts if you ever get to a/b.
John built me 4 124's a few years back.sadly I was about to get him to do some pre's but he's not really around anymore .
I think these will do!
Definitely will do! Still have my 124 that John built..LOVE it!
Old 15th March 2015
Lives for gear

I know it sound like every other rah rah gear post here, but I really think that the Chandler Redd.47 is one of the nicest preamps I have heard or used, and this is from someone with 5 channels of TG-2 that I love and after doing some side by side tests with a Neve 1073 which we all know is no slouch either.

I did some tracking with a Redd.47 a few months back and have been in mix mode for a client since and I am dying to start tracking again so I can use the Redd and its new twin.
Old 15th March 2015
Lives for gear

They sound very similar but the Redd 47 is a bit more midrange forward. The Chandler 47 is a really nice pre and I'm surprised it hasn't had more impact on GS.

Quote:

Old 15th March 2015
Lives for gear

I think it's a common misconception to think of the V72 as similar or that the Redd.47 is a re-tweaked V72 when they are different. I love this quote from Wade "they share no similarities other than they both use tubes.”

A pretty easy non-scientific comparison is compare the sound of Please Please Me which used the V72 and Hard Days Night which used the Redd.47

I am not saying they are a million miles apart necessarily, but don't think if you have one that you have the other.
Old 15th March 2015
Lives for gear

Have you compared it to the Retro yet? I have the powerstrip. Other than some Neves all my pres are tube based.

So far my favorite for most vocals is still the radiator hot Tubetech MP1a with the slightly more open but less lush Fearn VT1 a close second. Im a big fan of tubes, I still say when done right that just have a liquid like response that often eludes their solid state counterparts, Needless to say I'm seriously considering the Redd. However at over 2k for one channels of mic pre amplification, it better be great.

Quote:
Hey Tom,I havent really dug into vocals yet but so far no murkyness at all.
looking inside,build is rock solid.the signal path looks very straight forward,parts look grade A and with those big custom transformers there's not much to mess up the sound.
sounds big and lush but you can color it varying the gain structure.
nice detail throughout.I'm currently very busy but trying to really wring it out this coming week.
also curious to see how it sounds next to my Retro Powerstrip!
The TG would be a lot different as it was to my old Neves.
Tomorrow tracking guitars I'm thinking of trying a royer 122 through the Redd and a 57 through a Neve.could be cool!
Old 15th March 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
Have you compared it to the Retro yet? I have the powerstrip. Other than some Neves all my pres are tube based.

So far my favorite for most vocals is still the radiator hot Tubetech MP1a with the slightly more open but less lush Fearn VT1 a close second. Im a big fan of tubes, I still say when done right that just have a liquid like response that often eludes their solid state counterparts, Needless to say I'm seriously considering the Redd. However at over 2k for one channels of mic pre amplification, it better be great.
The Redd is sitting directly atop a Powerstrip.

Vivid Redd Apples to softer Oranges.
Old 16th March 2015
Badge has class
Chandler is the Bomb
Old 20th March 2015
Gear interested

Thanks for the pic and reviews Roundbadge
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone Heard the Chandler REDD Pre Yet?-redd-internal.jpg  

Last edited by Hinson; 20th March 2015 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: singular to plural
Old 20th March 2015
Gear interested

Quote:
another interesting thing when printing left then right mix stems through the pre just for kicks.
the 20db pad wasn't nearly enough on the front end for the +4 signals.
had to run the console mix fader waay low to get it not to saturate.
Yep, sounds about right.
Line signals input to the REDD.51 desk first went through a step-down transformer which lost about 20dB before hitting a resistive pad and only then did line level see a REDD.47 amp.
Through gain on the channel was set to unity unless otherwise desired.
Old 20th March 2015
Gear Guru

Cool.
I was thinking of trying some of Avedis' little line pads to knock em down.
I was using Shure in lines but his are different.
Makes the Redd think it's seeing a mic input.
The fine gain adjust is great for dailing in just the right amount of color/harmonics if you want.
Old 20th March 2015
Gear Head

We love using all the previous Chandler gear so yes, would be interested in what this little beast has to offer too!
Old 20th March 2015
Lives for gear

That comparison doesn't account for evolving production. All You Need Is Love was recorded using v72's. Can you hear the difference between that and the rest of the Magical Mystery Tour album?

They may be different but not very. The major differences between the two are the mid-forward nature of the REDD and it's ability to adjust both input and outputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj32 View Post
A pretty easy non-scientific comparison is compare the sound of Please Please Me which used the V72 and Hard Days Night which used the Redd.47

I am not saying they are a million miles apart necessarily, but don't think if you have one that you have the other.
Old 20th March 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
That comparison doesn't account for evolving production. All You Need Is Love was recorded using v72's. Can you hear the difference between that and the rest of the Magical Mystery Tour album?

They may be different but not very. The major differences between the two are the mid-forward nature of the REDD and it's ability to adjust both input and outputs.
Also a lot of eq/ compression and bouncing tape affecting the final product.
Now if Wade could knock out a j37 clone.
Old 20th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also a lot of eq/ compression and bouncing tape affecting the final product.
Now if Wade could knock out a j37 clone.
I am not infront of either recording the Beatles books right now, but my guess is that All You Need is love was mixed on a 51 and not the 37.

Either way, the preamps may be stylistically similar era wise, the fact that one is more mid forward and offers better options for tonal saturation does in fact make them different.

Now in true Gearslutz fashion how big that difference is can vary between users and listeners.

My main point is that the V72 and the Redd.47 are not the same preamp and don't want people thinking that one is the substitute for the other thats all.

Essentially someone above mentioned that they were not in need of any new preamps until they heard the Redd.47.

I am in the same boat. Heard one, bought it. Got a second one, now I want 2 more. With 4-channels I can cut 75% of all of the stuff I do in my studio (Glynn John's Mic set up on drums).

Of course I am a person who prefers not to mix and match preamps on a project.
Old 20th March 2015
Gear Guru

Sorry I was referencing to the Studer 37 series tube tape machines.
Quote:
I am not infront of either recording the Beatles books right now, but my guess is that All You Need is love was mixed on a 51 and not the 37.

Either way, the preamps may be stylistically similar era wise, the fact that one is more mid forward and offers better options for tonal saturation does in fact make them different.

Now in true Gearslutz fashion how big that difference is can vary between users and listeners.

My main point is that the V72 and the Redd.47 are not the same preamp and don't want people thinking that one is the substitute for the other thats all.

Essentially someone above mentioned that they were not in need of any new preamps until they heard the Redd.47.

I am in the same boat. Heard one, bought it. Got a second one, now I want 2 more. With 4-channels I can cut 75% of all of the stuff I do in my studio (Glynn John's Mic set up on drums).

Of course I am a person who prefers not to mix and match preamps on a project.
Old 20th March 2015
Lives for gear

No worries Roundbadge, I should have quoted Marlowe's post anyway as I that was what I was referring to, just that while All You Need is Love was tracked with a V72 equipped desk, I am pretty sure it was mixed through the Redd.51.
Old 20th March 2015
Gear Guru

Yeah I'm getting a second
4 would be rad.
I really like bass drum d25 -redd - pultec .
Punchy as f***
Old 20th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah I'm getting a second
4 would be rad.
I really like bass drum d25 -redd - pultec .
Punchy as f***
Pretty hard to mess up that chain!

I am loving my Redds with a pair of the new AEA N8 Ribbon mics, especially on overheads, and room. Its a nice combo for miking guitar cabs a few feet back too.
Old 20th March 2015
Lives for gear

Yeah, despite the similarities, having the Redd in no way compels me to neglect/sell my v72s.

Quote:
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search