The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hip Hop/RnB tracking rig Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Hip Hop/RnB tracking rig

I'm considering making an upgrade to my rig that will last me in to the future no matter what DAWs do (I'm staying on ptools10 TDM)

I have a pair of Amek CIBs, an Adesigns MP2A, 3 dbx 160xts, a distressor and a Tube Tech CL1B.

Most of my tracking is overdubs and it's a lot of DI bass/guitar.

I'm considering adding a pair of 1073s, and a API 3124 with 4 Api 550s, 3 more distressors and an API 2500.

Is there anything you would advise I consider instead? and if so, why?
Old 23rd February 2015
I'd keep your gear in pairs to get more flavours, so I'd ditch two of the api EQs and get a neve 8803 which is awesome on bass and guitars, can do surgical more than the APIs. I'd ditch two distressors and get either a pair of 1176s or else an 1176 and an LA2A. I'd demo the stereo Neve 1081 alongside the 1073s. If you have a good local dealer demo everything before you decide what to keep. Also, you didn't mention what mics you have, and for the money you're looking to spend here, for guitars and bass, if you don't have them already, try out the Royer 121 for guitar and the new Neuman U47 fet for bass. The API 3124+ is awesome but do you need 4 channels if you're mainly over dubbing? The Tube Tech stereo pre is unbelievable, and worth trying alongside the A Design. Good luck & happy shopping!!
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAliveHQ View Post
I'd keep your gear in pairs to get more flavours, so I'd ditch two of the api EQs and get a neve 8803 which is awesome on bass and guitars, can do surgical more than the APIs. I'd ditch two distressors and get either a pair of 1176s or else an 1176 and an LA2A. I'd demo the stereo Neve 1081 alongside the 1073s. If you have a good local dealer demo everything before you decide what to keep. Also, you didn't mention what mics you have, and for the money you're looking to spend here, for guitars and bass, if you don't have them already, try out the Royer 121 for guitar and the new Neuman U47 fet for bass. The API 3124+ is awesome but do you need 4 channels if you're mainly over dubbing? The Tube Tech stereo pre is unbelievable, and worth trying alongside the A Design. Good luck & happy shopping!!
Thus far all that I have for mics is a U87. But I have close friends with pretty impressive mic collections and I can cut at their placesheh.

I definitely want at least one more distressor (I had a pair, sold them. because I needed cash and later bought another).

I haven't even thought about mixing. I'm guessing I'll be itb with a bunch of inserts over time as a future proof bet.

Part of me is fearful that plugins will eventually arrive and I'll end up with a bunch of gear I wish I didn't spend on, but I don't think that day will be tomorrow, so I'm likely to get a lot of use out of the gear.

I want an 1176 and an LA2A
Old 24th February 2015
Gear Maniac

Then get an 1176 and a 2A, more useful than another 3 distressors surely..?

Like you I have an 87 and do a lot of hip hop/RnB. Have been using api's for everything for a good few years but recently got an Aurora gtq-2 and Im loving it.

I nearly got two 1176's but a friend suggested spreading it out... I got one, and a buzz audio 1.1 which gives me more options.
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraburner View Post
Then get an 1176 and a 2A, more useful than another 3 distressors surely..?

Like you I have an 87 and do a lot of hip hop/RnB. Have been using api's for everything for a good few years but recently got an Aurora gtq-2 and Im loving it.

I nearly got two 1176's but a friend suggested spreading it out... I got one, and a buzz audio 1.1 which gives me more options.
I don't know man. My Distressor makes me want more distressors too lol.
Old 24th February 2015
Gear Maniac

If you're mostly doing vox and guitar dubs I'd say get a neve-type pre and 1176 and look at your mic's maybe?
Old 24th February 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
My Distressor makes me want more distressors too lol.
Just feel like chiming in here about the Distressor...don't know if you've heard about Kush Audio's Tweaker but it blows the Distressor out of the water. IMO. Have a pair of Tweakers and it can mimic an api 2500, la2a, and analog tape to the point that I can't tell the difference between the real ones. Search the Shootout section, I posted audio files. Anyway, I mention because if you're going the Distressor route you should at least know there a new product out that's improved up version of it.
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDawg View Post
Just feel like chiming in here about the Distressor...don't know if you've heard about Kush Audio's Tweaker but it blows the Distressor out of the water. IMO. Have a pair of Tweakers and it can mimic an api 2500, la2a, and analog tape to the point that I can't tell the difference between the real ones. Search the Shootout section, I posted audio files. Anyway, I mention because if you're going the Distressor route you should at least know there a new product out that's improved up version of it.
Must admit, the video makes me want to test a pair. When I'm ready they will definitely be on my trial list. I've decided I'll get at least one more distressor so I'll have a stereo pair. I have this strange thing where things I like I want 3 of though lol. 4 sometimes feels like overkill, but 3 ahhhhh now it's good lol.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search