The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
orion 32 vs ssl alpha link mx Digital Converters
Old 23rd February 2015
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

orion 32 vs ssl alpha link mx

Hello everyone. I recently purchased the Orion 32 but due to driver issues, I had to return it.
I was wondering how the ssl alpha link mx converters compare to the Orion. Anyone tried both of these units?
I'm really interested on the sound quality and not so much on the features.
Old 23rd February 2015
  #2
Lives for gear
Haven't compared the two but I've been using SSL for years for tracking and
mixing and I'm very happy with them (RME PCIe card for interfacing)
I do have a Crane HEDD for mastering tho'
Old 23rd February 2015
  #3
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal View Post
Haven't compared the two but I've been using SSL for years for tracking and
mixing and I'm very happy with them (RME PCIe card for interfacing)
I do have a Crane HEDD for mastering tho'
They have a ssl alpha link mx with a 64 madixtreme card bundle but I read that it does not have a dsp mixer. I record mainly vocals and use protools.
Whats the benefit of having a dsp mixer?
Old 23rd February 2015
  #4
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by siopao777 View Post
They have a ssl alpha link mx with a 64 madixtreme card bundle but I read that it does not have a dsp mixer. I record mainly vocals and use protools.
Whats the benefit of having a dsp mixer?
Monitoring and routing and some other things,
that's why I have RME card, totalmix rocks
Old 26th February 2015
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal View Post
Monitoring and routing and some other things,
that's why I have RME card, totalmix rocks
Hey Retinal. Just wanted to know how do you implement your crane hedd with the Rme madi and ssl? Doesn't the Rme madi only accepts converters with madi input and output?
Old 26th February 2015
  #6
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal View Post
Haven't compared the two but I've been using SSL for years for tracking and
mixing and I'm very happy with them (RME PCIe card for interfacing)
I do have a Crane HEDD for mastering tho'
Which ssl converters do you have? I was interested in the mx version.
Old 26th February 2015
  #7
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by siopao777 View Post
Hey Retinal. Just wanted to know how do you implement your crane hedd with the Rme madi and ssl? Doesn't the Rme madi only accepts converters with madi input and output?
Quote:
Originally Posted by siopao777 View Post
Which ssl converters do you have? I was interested in the mx version.
I have the ADAT version of the SSL, and the RME Hammerfall
Hedd via SPDIF
Old 26th February 2015
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Faderjockey's Avatar
 

Same thing here..minus Hedd which I've thought I'd like to add.

But I use RME PCI card to Digiface. then Adat that to SSL Alpha Link.. Works great and sounds great.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump