The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API - The Box: Any Thoughts? Consoles
Old 23rd February 2015
Gear Head
API - The Box: Any Thoughts?

I've recently been looking into API's new "Box" and wondering if it would be worth saving and grabbing one of those in the future or going the route of an SSL nucleus or something similar (a little less money also with control surface capability but lacking any analog summing/500 series modules).

Just wondering if anyone had experience, knowledge or even thoughts about the Box by API?
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

They just dropped the MAP from $18k to $15k which suggests to me that they may have had a tough time selling it at the original price. Many here thought it was a really great looking and well thought out mixer, just a bit overpriced for the functionality it offered. I think the revised price will make it a much more attractive option for someone looking for a small format console. If I had $15k, I would probably put it on my shortlist to check out. For another $5k, you can compare it to the SSL XL-Desk, Aurora Audio Sidecar, Harrison 950m, Trident 88, and probably many more I'm missing.

Best,
Chris
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyers93 View Post
I've recently been looking into API's new "Box" and wondering if it would be worth saving and grabbing one of those in the future or going the route of an SSL nucleus or something similar (a little less money also with control surface capability but lacking any analog summing/500 series modules).

Just wondering if anyone had experience, knowledge or even thoughts about the Box by API?
The Great River Mixmaster 20 has almost all of the same functionality in a more compact package at around $7,000...no faders but honestly, it's better routing and easier workflow for me overall on that unit. And I think it sounds a bit bigger/ballsier.

But that's my opinion. Still I would compare the specs of the Mixmaster 20 to "The Box" if I was in your shoes.
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

The Problem with API is, you need to have everything twice in spare. I am sure it will sound great, but nearly everything that I or my friends bought from API does not work for a long time, lot of troubles. A 500 Modul that's broken is not a problem - take another one. But a whole Desk or summing Device with trouble ? horror for me. My neighbor bought 3 summing Mixer from API and 1 is often broken, OP Amps etc.
That is my experience with API.

Last edited by lematrix; 26th February 2015 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: better english - sorry
Old 23rd February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrulesmore View Post
They just dropped the MAP from $18k to $15k which suggests to me that they may have had a tough time selling it at the original price. Many here thought it was a really great looking and well thought out mixer, just a bit overpriced for the functionality it offered. I think the revised price will make it a much more attractive option for someone looking for a small format console.

Best,
Chris
API's most recent press release regarding this matter explained to me that they have sold over One Hundred 'THE BOX" Units since the release in November, 2014. When you make more runs of your product, I think you get more discount from your parts suppliers. And if API recuperates its Research and Development costs on schedule they can make it more attractive in the market by lowering price so they can sell more units. This makes sense when you are making more units.
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
API's most recent press release regarding this matter explained to me that they have sold over One Hundred 'THE BOX" Units since the release in November, 2014. When you make more runs of your product, I think you get more discount from your parts suppliers. And if API recuperates its Research and Development costs on schedule they can make it more attractive in the market by lowering price so they can sell more units. This makes sense when you are making more units.
The 1608 price has risen so much in the past years since being released and they have they sold hundreds of that desk..

Anyway back on topic..

The Box in person looks very pro if you have a production room, it has transformers, compressors, faders, eq's, pres, centre section, auxes,
etc.. I have used the DSM for years in my home rig and have never had any problems, all have the same family modern API sound.

Last edited by Jack P; 23rd February 2015 at 07:21 PM..
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

I think the box would of made a much bigger splash if all the channels were like the first 4 input channels, with the blank 500 series on top of each, and the master section on the right hand side. Even if it were just a 12x4x2 most people want to use their own 500 series modules into a solid discrete mix buss. I would like to see an api 1204 in the future, it's all there in exactly the box frame size just a different configuration. Wouldn't be that hard to do.

12 input channels w, 500 series
4 echo/cue/aux
2 stereo out

However I do understand they were trying to cover a lot of ground in one box. I think they did a good job.
Old 24th February 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot View Post
I think the box would of made a much bigger splash if all the channels were like the first 4 input channels, with the blank 500 series on top of each, and the master section on the right hand side. Even if it were just a 12x4x2 most people want to use their own 500 series modules into a solid discrete mix buss. I would like to see an api 1204 in the future, it's all there in exactly the box frame size just a different configuration. Wouldn't be that hard to do.

12 input channels w, 500 series
4 echo/cue/aux
2 stereo out

However I do understand they were trying to cover a lot of ground in one box. I think they did a good job.
Amen, but they would probably cannibalize the sales of their higher priced gear. It seems somewhat intentional that the 500 mixer market is so sparing in the high-feature players. It's perfectly modular and allows mixing and matching for channels.
Old 28th February 2015
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
The Great River Mixmaster 20 has almost all of the same functionality in a more compact package at around $7,000...no faders but honestly, it's better routing and easier workflow for me overall on that unit. And I think it sounds a bit bigger/ballsier.

But that's my opinion. Still I would compare the specs of the Mixmaster 20 to "The Box" if I was in your shoes.
Good suggestion! The great river does look nice, I'll have to look into it a little more. I'm very biased toward a console style look, but at half the price tag its definitely worth looking into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lematrix View Post
The Problem with API is, you need to have everything twice in spare. I am sure it will sound great, but nearly everything that I or my friends bought from API does not work for a long time, lot of troubles. A 500 Modul that's broken is not a problem - take another one. But a whole Desk or summing Device with trouble ? horror for me. My neighbor bought 3 summing Mixer from API and 1 is often broken, OP Amps etc.
That is my experience with API.
That's a little scary to me and I have never heard of much trouble with API gear. Appreciate the input, would you suggest any alternatives?
Old 1st March 2015
I saw The Box and was surprised some of the buttons felt very cheap. Nothing like the quality of the Audient 4816 console that is in the same price category with mic pre's and Eq on each channel.

However I understand some want the API found which the Box has. So if you want a clean muscular sound, the Great River is the way to go. If you want the API get the Box, and if you want a cleaner mixer with full options, buy the Audient.
Old 3rd March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyers93 View Post
Good suggestion! The great river does look nice, I'll have to look into it a little more. I'm very biased toward a console style look, but at half the price tag its definitely worth looking into.
Anything by Great River will have the best customer service in the business. Dan Kennedy is a saint. Also the lack of faders ultimately turns out mean easier recall due to the nature of the knobs on that unit and the recall software it comes with.

End of the day I feel it has a bit more headroom/is bigger sounding. People say it feels like a Neve, but to me it's somewhere between a Neve 80's series desk and an API.

The preamps are incredible on that thing, and it has better routing for AUX/FX sends in my opinion. I'm not really 100% sold on the layout on The Box after reading the manual a few times. The GR Mixmaster 20 is a bit more "straightforward" in that regard in a way I greatly appreciate. Also I'm not a fan of how two of the channels on The Box are 500 series slots...it's just kind of unnecessary. With the money you save going with the GR you can get a 10 slot rack or two to fill out with whatever. I love API products but I feel "The Box" is a near miss.
Old 3rd March 2015
Lives for gear

I have a client who has purchased The Box for his home studio. No service issues after 2 years. He said the faders are what matters most...helps him "feel" the mix. We are currently quoting a second The Box based studio for a friend of his in Jamacia.

With 2x 4000's...a 5088...48ch Duality & Icon in his main facility..I'm happy The Box is holding it's own.
Old 3rd March 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
I have a client who has purchased The Box for his home studio. No service issues after 2 years. He said the faders are what matters most...helps him "feel" the mix. We are currently quoting a second The Box based studio for a friend of his in Jamacia.

With 2x 4000's...a 5088...48ch Duality & Icon in his main facility..I'm happy The Box is holding it's own.
I love mine sounds great ,jz
Old 4th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
Anything by Great River will have the best customer service in the business. Dan Kennedy is a saint. Also the lack of faders ultimately turns out mean easier recall due to the nature of the knobs on that unit and the recall software it comes with.

End of the day I feel it has a bit more headroom/is bigger sounding. People say it feels like a Neve, but to me it's somewhere between a Neve 80's series desk and an API.

The preamps are incredible on that thing, and it has better routing for AUX/FX sends in my opinion. I'm not really 100% sold on the layout on The Box after reading the manual a few times. The GR Mixmaster 20 is a bit more "straightforward" in that regard in a way I greatly appreciate. Also I'm not a fan of how two of the channels on The Box are 500 series slots...it's just kind of unnecessary. With the money you save going with the GR you can get a 10 slot rack or two to fill out with whatever. I love API products but I feel "The Box" is a near miss.
+1

Great River is so far beyond API in the customer service department and build quality. That is a big thing when doing a higher end purchase. I've never had any issue with GR gear and I have had a problem with every piece of API gear I own and have owned. I would personally go for the GR between these 2 options. But if you don't dig the MixMaster for some reason I would honestly look elsewhere then API. Talk to anyone who owns a API console. They all have had bad customer service when stuff breaks and it always breaks! There are at least 4 here in MLPS and everyone has had issues with API customer service.

That is my 2 cents.
Old 4th March 2015
I have the API and could not be happier with build quality and sound.
The knobs etc. all feel solid,everyone that has seen it has commented
on the quality.
I have also tracked a bunch with the Great River pre's,love them.
I just do not consider the Mixmaster 20 a console in the traditional form.
You could add a lot of outboard/fader system for the price difference.
How much is work flow worth?
Get your hands on one or the other and test drive a mix.
I purchased mine from Vintage King,great shop.
Old 6th March 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflag View Post
on the quality.
I couldn't have said it better.
Old 26th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
on the quality.
See the workflow aspect I understand...but honestly I'm so used to working ITB or on a console depending...it doesn't really bother me either way.

In the end, with template sessions that are preset to where I'd always like to start...I just wind up saving time...so the Mixmaster 20 is a win Vs The Box for me in terms of workflow, and I prefer the tone of it...AND it's cheaper...AND the customer service is insanely great.

I understand why people love faders...but if you put the Mixmaster in a desk right in front of you, you can manually ride a volume knob or two when it's needed. If...for some reason I wanted to move onto faders from here I'd want a console with the benefits of EQ's on every channel...period.

The other Summing Mixer that gives The Box a run for the money is the Shadow Hills Equinox. Both the Mixmaster 20 and the Equinox seem to have superior mastering grade monitoring going on...the EQuinox is even more streamlined to let most of the work be done by the DAW however...so for someone looking for physical fader's it's probably not the way to go.

End of the day everyone is different so I'm not judging you by how you like to work...however, younger generation engineers who have only used DAW's will generally find more satisfying results with a Mixmaster 20 or an Equinox...mainly because their workflow won't really have to change much and the monitoring will be absolutely pristine.
Old 26th March 2015
@ herecomesyourman,
You make a lot of valid points and any of the scenarios would equal quality audio.
I have not used any Shadow Hills gear,nor heard the Great River Mixmaster 20.

What i will say is that great design in audio,cars,toasters etc. is more than the
sum of parts used.I have done what you are suggesting and it left me wanting.

I have a custom built 16 input summing mixer,8 input innerTUBE Audio Atomic Sumthang,hot modded
Yamaha pm-1000 among other pieces.Strung together in various combinations and monitored
via KUSH AUDIO UBK GAIN TRAIN MAIN GAIN FUNCTION JUNCTION(say that fast after a couple drinks)

None of it is as satisfying as using the API,and sonically the results are superior IMO.

I record real people playing real instruments so my needs may be different than others.
Features like mute,solo,solo in place,aux sends,inserts,real faders and knobs are key
to making a session flow and enjoyable for all involved.

This all so subjective but i prefer API over other desks i have tracked on.
I've used Trident ,Neve,Daking,Neotek,and a ton of budget desks.

Whether it matters to anyone,i really like the fact that API is made in America.
The company has a history of making real recording consoles that many of my
favorite records have been made on.5 year warranty and Vintage King adds on
another year of warranty.I'm in So.Cal and doing business locally is important to me.

I do not care what anyone chooses for their needs,but at 15k this is a great value.
I personally am recording more music with better results,that is priceless.

Hit record and have fun!
Old 27th March 2015
Gear Nut

i don´t get this:

- ask every api owner: trouble with the gear, bad customer support

- therefore: go great river, no trouble, greaaaaat customer service

i mean...IF there´s no trouble why point out they have great customer support? if i purchase something, and it works perfectly i dont want any customer support cause i dont need it, i dont want them to be my friends...

nothing personal, just saying...you can read it everywhere on gearslutz and right now i just wanted to point it out.

anyhow good to know there´s companies who offer good support....why?...because i know that everything you buy will sooner or later break, and they know it, i mean they build it, it´s not meant to last forever,
Old 27th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
@ herecomesyourman,
You make a lot of valid points and any of the scenarios would equal quality audio.

What i will say is that great design in audio,cars,toasters etc. is more than the

I have a custom built 16 input summing mixer,8 input innerTUBE Audio Atomic Sumthang,hot modded
Yamaha pm-1000 among other pieces.Strung together in various combinations and monitored
via KUSH AUDIO UBK GAIN TRAIN MAIN GAIN FUNCTION JUNCTION(say that fast after a couple drinks)

None of it is as satisfying as using the API,and sonically the results are superior IMO.

I record real people playing real instruments so my needs may be different than others.
Features like mute,solo,solo in place,aux sends,inserts,real faders and knobs are key

Whether it matters to anyone,i really like the fact that API is made in America.
another year of warranty.I'm in So.Cal and doing business locally is important to me.

I do not care what anyone chooses for their needs,but at 15k this is a great value.

Hit record and have fun!

Would you mind commenting on the sound of the api vs the sumthang. it goes without say the workflow is better on a console.

Thanks
Old 27th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobelix View Post
i don´t get this:

i mean...IF there´s no trouble why point out they have great customer support? if i purchase something, and it works perfectly i dont want any customer support cause i dont need it, i dont want them to be my friends...

nothing personal, just saying...you can read it everywhere on gearslutz and right now i just wanted to point it out.

anyhow good to know there´s companies who offer good support....why?...because i know that everything you buy will sooner or later break, and they know it, i mean they build it, it´s not meant to last forever,
I'll give you an example to answer this question.

I bought two EQ-2NV's about 8 years and both of them were USED. They were not new items with a warranty. At two points I had mechanical issues with each EQ, they were easily over a decade old each after my owner ship, etc. And electronics age. But both problems (one was a knob that was broken off during a move, the other was a failed PSU) were solved in under a weeks time and I paid very little to get the help I needed.

There's good customer service...and then there's people like Dan Kennedy who are so excited to see their gear out there that they'll bend over backwards to help their customer base out. I've owned and bought other Great River products new because of this, and I have nothing but good experiences with all of it.

When you need things to work...and they don't...and you've paid good money to be able to compete with top studios...having a quick turnaround to get you back to working is key. Time is money, and Great River respects that. It's not a matter of me being friends with Dan (I wish I was, but I've only really talked him a few times...still he's a great to deal with because he gets things done.)

Lastly, they're not a company that revises products. They prototype and stress test designs. Dan's compressor took close to half a decade before it was released I reckon...that's the mark of someone who cares about all aspects of a design.
Old 27th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
@ herecomesyourman,

Hit record and have fun!

I love working on a console so I totally get it. I just didn't feel the Box was giving better me results than the Mixmaster for over twice the cost. But I can totally get/understand your needs and how in the end you can't really put a price on that workflow.

Sound is subjective...if the API is "it" for you...that's that. For me the Great River is kind of between an API and a Neve sound...in a way that has the best aspects of both designs in terms of overall texture / harmonic distortions.

I ran a Yamaha PM2000 for a while (Which is seriously similar to an API in terms of tone), and I've worked on API consoles...they're great...so please take my opinions as just that. Opinions...in no way do I think you wasted money or anything if the way you're working is simple and stress free.
Old 27th March 2015
Quote:
i don´t get this:

To redress the balance - I'm an API owner, my studio is an API owner, I've used a load of API gear over the years - I can't comment on tech support because I've never needed it, I find the build quality good and I've never had a piece break on me. Our 3124 mb+ has had 2 1/2 years of fairly constant use with zero issues for example.
Old 27th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
To redress the balance - I'm an API owner, my studio is an API owner, I've used a load of API gear over the years - I can't comment on tech support because I've never needed it, I find the build quality good and I've never had a piece break on me. Our 3124 mb+ has had 2 1/2 years of fairly constant use with zero issues for example.
API does have great build quality, but they are also a larger company, they do have a good customer service track record as well...but my point was Dan really went out of his way to help me at first, even when I was buying used gear in order to stay within budget.
Old 28th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
i don´t get this:

I'm pretty sure you didn't ask every API owner. Maybe just the ones who come on to GS to complain, but every company has those, and API moves a lot of units compared to some of the smaller boutique manufacturers (though still nowhere enough to call them a big company). Hence, more complainers. But I'd bet there are also more satisfied users, and even a quick GS search proves me right.

I've owned various pieces of API gear over the years, including a 48 channel filled automated 1608. Do parts on it fail? Yes, from time to time, like all consoles. Does API get me those parts in the mail the next day? Absolutely. Their tech department are amazing and consistently have taken care of us quickly and on their dime for upwards on seven years now. Not to mention that I really, really like the way their products sound.

I haven't used the box yet, but if it's anywhere near the quality of the 1608 you'd be a fool not to consider it at any price.
Old 28th March 2015
Lives for gear

I don't think you can really compare a rack mount summing mixer with no faders to The Box, or any other product with faders for that matter. In the two years that I had the privilege of owning an Aurora Sidecar, my mixes became so much better simply by being able to ride levels throughout the bounce...and it was effortless to do, unlike programming automation. Damn, I miss that mixer!!! Would love to try The Box...the dropped price makes it much more palatable for me in terms of price vs. features, and I could definitely see it being a great centerpiece with my new iZ RADAR Studio.

Best,
Chris
Old 28th March 2015
Another very happy API owner here. I have a 32 channel 1608, an 8200A and 18 x 500 series API modules on one form or another. In the past I've had a pair of 3124+'s too. Other than an occasional op-amp gone bad, which is always going to happen, I haven't had any significant issue that wasn't easy to put right myself (in some context I've probably swapped out a dozen op-amps in the 3 or 4 years I've had the desk). So, no, I'm not understanding the build quality comment either.
Old 29th March 2015
Gear Maniac

I am loving my api the box and radar 6 setup sounds awesome Soon to be radar studio jz
Old 4th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrulesmore View Post
I don't think you can really compare a rack mount summing mixer with no faders to The Box, or any other product with faders for that matter. In the two years that I had the privilege of owning an Aurora Sidecar, my mixes became so much better simply by being able to ride levels throughout the bounce...and it was effortless to do, unlike programming automation. Damn, I miss that mixer!!! Would love to try The Box...the dropped price makes it much more palatable for me in terms of price vs. features, and I could definitely see it being a great centerpiece with my new iZ RADAR Studio.

Best,
Chris
I do agree that riding faders is still easier in the analog world. Most digital fader MIDI controllers could be so much better.

I keep waiting for a 3rd party company to come out with a simple, but durable fader solution that's compatible with most or all DAW's...with upgradeable firmware to keep it future proof. A truly boutique fader bank which will work reliably for years. Most solutions you can buy seem to be fairly fragile to me.
Old 5th April 2015
Gear Guru

in the 6 years I've had my console,API customer support for my 1608 has been awesome.
when I was messing like an idiot with trying different op amps on the mix buss I had Radovan patiently on the phone talking me through it.
they were great when I sent in my 2500 for a check up.
there always there,professional,organized and available to help.
op amps go here and there,no prob,overnight some.
had a buss switch go.they overnighted a replacement.
try keeping a vintage Neve alive lol.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search