The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL XL-Desk - How to get more Aux Sends? Mixers (Analog)
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

SSL XL-Desk - How to get more Aux Sends?

I'm looking for a high-quality 16 channel mixer to add to my studio and the new SSL XL-Desk has definitely captured my attention.

It seems close to perfect for what I need except for one thing: it only seems to have three aux sends.

That really could be a deal breaker. I'd really like to have at least five.

I'm not very expert in all of the intricacies of the XL-desk's routing options, though, so maybe there's a way to get the functionality of additional aux sends that I'm missing?
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

unfortunately the only other way is to use the direct out or one of the busses.
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

I've been thinking about moving to an analog studio setup.

I've really been impressed with the Audient ASP4816.

It's a true "in-line" design, with lots of AUXes and Groups, and is a lot cheaper than the XL-Desk. While I'm generally very impressed by SSL's design decisions, with the XL-Desk...not so much. While cheaper still, even the Toft ATB series has a lot more features than does the XL-Desk.
Old 22nd February 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robonaut View Post
I'm not very expert in all of the intricacies of the XL-desk's routing options, though, so maybe there's a way to get the functionality of additional aux sends that I'm missing?
If you're using a DAW to feed the XL-Desk, you could conceivably create more aux sends from the DAW by patching output channels of your interface directly to the aux inputs (i.e. reverb, delay), then return the auxes to the stereo channels on the XL-Desk (channels 17-24).
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdenton View Post
I've been thinking about moving to an analog studio setup.

I've really been impressed with the Audient ASP4816.

It's a true "in-line" design, with lots of AUXes and Groups, and is a lot cheaper than the XL-Desk. While I'm generally very impressed by SSL's design decisions, with the XL-Desk...not so much. While cheaper still, even the Toft ATB series has a lot more features than does the XL-Desk.
Yes, I've been eyeing the Audient as well. I was leaning towards the XL-Desk because I'm more familiar with SSL's stuff.

How's the EQ on the Audient versus the SSL EQ?
Old 22nd February 2015
Quote:
I'm looking for a high-quality 16 channel mixer to add to my studio and the new SSL XL-Desk has definitely captured my attention.

It seems close to perfect for what I need except for one thing: it only seems to have three aux sends.

That really could be a deal breaker. I'd really like to have at least five.

Do you need 500 series slots or Aux send?
Old 22nd February 2015
500 series slots needed = SSL X-Desk
More AUX sends needed = Midas Venice F24
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, I've been eyeing the Audient as well. I was leaning towards the XL-Desk because I'm more familiar with SSL's stuff.

Still very on in the process for me...will probably pull together a short list and go listen to whatever is on the list.

So, can't personally speak to the Audient's EQs, but they do get very good reviews. Obviously something I will be looking at closely later...
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell View Post
500 series slots needed = SSL X-Desk
More AUX sends needed = Midas Venice F24
Given that the Venice F24 is more a live mixer than a studio one, and that the Audient ASP4816 has a ton of busses and auxes and stuff, is there something you know about the Audient ASP4816 that I should consider when I start evaluating things? If I move on this, I will be doing a 99% analog to tape studio (I may have a little bit of MIDI stuff since I'm a lousy keyboard player!)
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear
You are forgetting to include the cue stereo, which when mixing may be set to post and therefore give you four sends, one true stereo (good to have) and 3 mono.

Also you can use the mix buses, since they are naturally post fader. So that brings you up to seven "sends" plus a stereo mix A bus.
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Why wouldn't you use daw sends. Then you can automate them too. Most people need returns.
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstory View Post
Why wouldn't you use daw sends. Then you can automate them too. Most people need returns.
I'm not going to be using a DAW.
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Shure auxpander
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not going to be using a DAW.
Sweet- I like the sound of that! it's true that you do also have the stereo cue as well- I'm trying to think of alternatives. The only thing I can think of is:

1- you do have the 4-stereo busses; so you could also use one or more of those as a send also although they'll be fixed at post fader.

2- you can mult your other aux sends but you obviously lose control over send level btwn the combined or multed outs.

3- the XL desk seems to have a lot of 'outs' on offer per channel between the direct outs and all the insert points. SSL always engineers their inserts where the 'send' side of the insert is always active; the insert button actually engages the 'return' side of the insert. so it would seem you have multiple outs or sends there- but again all post fader.

so maybe you'd want to always save your dedicated aces & cue for pre-fader needs.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search