The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The new Neve 1073 DPX! Two rack mounted 1073s for $4999 Single-Channel Preamps
Old 22nd February 2015
  #1
Lives for gear
 

The new Neve 1073 DPX! Two rack mounted 1073s for $4999

Anyone know anything about the Neve 1073 DPX. I saw this on SOS, had a real nice write up. Two neve 1073s for under 5 large is a good thing imho. I'd like to know when they will be a available in the states.

Last edited by Palermo; 22nd February 2015 at 04:32 PM..
Old 22nd February 2015
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

Just saw the review in SOS.. looks like a winner when coupled with the digital card

Wiggt
Old 23rd February 2015
  #3
Lives for gear
Are there any pics of this yet? Did a search but I couldn't see any
Old 23rd February 2015
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfoot View Post
Are there any pics of this yet? Did a search but I couldn't see any
yeah on SOS, they look great like two rack mount 1073s fused together. Idk why AMS NEVE doesn't show them on their website yet
Old 23rd February 2015
  #5
Gear Nut
 
madcap8465's Avatar
 

Any pics yet?
Old 28th February 2015
  #6
Lives for gear
 
mattcollen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcap8465 View Post
Any pics yet?
Ams/Neve's website has pics of the DPX now. They look awesome.
Old 28th February 2015
  #7
Old 1st March 2015
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Thanks Trev.

And for those who asked, here a link to th 1073 DPX on the Neve website with pics.
Introducing the Neve 1073DPX | AMS Neve

Those "Marinair" transformers look intersting I wonder how that differs from the carnhill used.


Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Old 1st March 2015
  #9
I love Neve gear but find myself liking Rupert Neve Portico gear more which is cheaper and a little more modern.
Old 1st March 2015
  #10
Lives for gear
 
mattcollen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
I love Neve gear but find myself liking Rupert Neve Portico gear more which is cheaper and a little more modern.
I agree, but this looks like a great offering from AMS. I'd like to compare this unit with original 1073s and my RND 5052.
Old 1st March 2015
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
Thanks Trev.

And for those who asked, here a link to th 1073 DPX on the Neve website with pics.
Introducing the Neve 1073DPX | AMS Neve

Those "Marinair" transformers look intersting I wonder how that differs from the carnhill used.
As I understand it, they are not using either marinairs or carnhills.
Old 1st March 2015
  #12
Looks like a great box! I wanna hear it....



The transformers is made in China after the M* schematics and spec's.... (That's what I heard) (the same way we do our ones as well)
Old 1st March 2015
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell View Post
Looks like a great box! I wanna hear it....

[snip]

The transformers is made in China after the M* schematics and spec's.... (That's what I heard) (the same way we do our ones as well)
That's what I heard too.
Old 1st March 2015
  #14
Lives for gear
 

i may try to get my hands on one and see how it compares to originals. i have yet to hear a clone that beats out an original but am always on the look out.

ej
Old 1st March 2015
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Transformers better not be made in China. Who says this? Is there evidence that AMS-Neve is (f)hugging the customer with non UK made transformers?
Old 1st March 2015
  #16
Lives for gear
 

That's unfortunate.

While I'm sure the Chinese can produce high quality components, the simple fact that these are for the most part boutique hardware units from what is essentially a "cottage" company, is it really necessary to outsource in this case. espeically given the premium pricing.

I think it's a mistake to outsource the transformers to Far East manufacture regardless of sound and if true will certainly lessen the perceived value of the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
That's what I heard too.
Old 2nd March 2015
  #17
Lives for gear
Can someone cite an actual source for this please? Seems like a lot of hearsay to me.
Old 2nd March 2015
  #18
Lives for gear
 
GeneHall's Avatar
Isn't the whole AMS Neve thing that they are handbuilt in Burnley using British components?

I know for fact Chinese components can be just as good but as the owner of a lot of AMS gear, it's long been my understanding that the boxes are built using British components assembled by English workers.

This is an important development by AMS if it's true. Which I have a hard time believing for now..
Old 2nd March 2015
  #19
Gear Maniac
 

These have been looking very interesting to me. Chinese transformers? I can't believe that. Too much integrity at stake.

Yet, SOS only wrote, "input and output transformers manufactured to the same spec as the Marinair originals." That's an open ended statement.
Old 2nd March 2015
  #20
Gear Nut
 

Judging from that SOS mic pre shootout back in 2012, you'd do as well with the ART Pro MV (is that what it is called?)
Old 2nd March 2015
  #21
Gear Maniac
 
DogCake's Avatar
 

... in any case it's all about quality standards and quality control ... most of the top high end brands in any fields use chinese components today ... see Apple, BMW, Giorgio Armani ... and so on ...

... as long as quality standards are firmly respected it doesn't matter at all where components are produced ...
Old 2nd March 2015
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Talked to AMS-Neve and they say that all transformers are made in England to their specifications. They deny any Chinese involvement.
Old 2nd March 2015
  #23
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogCake View Post
... in any case it's all about quality standards and quality control ... most of the top high end brands in any fields use chinese components today ... see Apple, BMW, Giorgio Armani ... and so on ...

... as long as quality standards are firmly respected it doesn't matter at all where components are produced ...
yeah...damn working conditions and abject exploitation, circumvention of domestic environmental laws, loss of jobs at home, etc...yeah piddly stuff, no worries, doesn't matter one iota...
Old 2nd March 2015
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogCake View Post
... in any case it's all about quality standards and quality control ... most of the top high end brands in any fields use chinese components today ... see Apple, BMW, Giorgio Armani ... and so on ...

... as long as quality standards are firmly respected it doesn't matter at all where components are produced ...
Nonsense! It matters to customers who want to buy a British made product with British heritage. CHI-COMM manufacture means cutting corners. It is a national obsession there.

Add antifreeze to your farm raised catfish.
Old 2nd March 2015
  #25
Gear Maniac
 
DogCake's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
yeah...damn working conditions and abject exploitation, circumvention of domestic environmental laws, loss of jobs at home, etc...yeah piddly stuff, no worries, doesn't matter one iota...
... perfect picture of Apple's factories in China ...
Old 2nd March 2015
  #26
Gear Maniac
 
DogCake's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Nonsense! It matters to customers who want to buy a British made product with British heritage. CHI-COMM manufacture means cutting corners. It is a national obsession there.

Add antifreeze to your farm raised catfish.
... I don't think is a nonsense ... most pro audio gears mounts Asian made components somehow ... world is changing ... not everithing from China is crap ...

... by the way, I perfectly understand if you care a lot about 'British heritage' kinda thing ...
Old 2nd March 2015
  #27
Lives for gear
 

First let me say Im happy AMS Neve is having the "Marinair" transformers built in England. Good for you AMS Neve. The DPX will be on short list of gear now.

Now getting back to Dog Cake, China can make high quality gear. Period. To assert otherwise is absurd and nobody is doing that. If they cut corners it is because the company buying the product is more concerned with price than quality -economics 101. Not because they are unable to build high quality products

However there are several overriding issues here.

The working conditions, workers pay, etc, in the Far East is quite different than what we have here in the West which for many is a factor in their buying decision.

Neve is building an enhanced reissue of one of the most iconic preamps in history which was made in England with transformers sourced in England so to deviate from that would compromise authenticity and be an issue for many potential customers.







Quote:
Originally Posted by DogCake View Post
... I don't think is a nonsense ... most pro audio gears mounts Asian made components somehow ... world is changing ... not everithing from China is crap ...

... by the way, I perfectly understand if you care a lot about 'British heritage' kinda thing ...
Old 2nd March 2015
  #28
Gear Maniac
 
DogCake's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
First let me say Im happy AMS Neve is having the "Marinair" transformers built in England. Good for you AMS Neve. The DPX will be on short list of gear now.

Now getting back to Dog Cake, China can make high quality gear. Period. To assert otherwise is absurd and nobody is doing that. If they cut corners it is because the company buying the product is more concerned with price than quality -economics 101. Not because they are unable to build high quality products

However there are several overriding issues here.

The working conditions, workers pay, etc, in the Far East is quite different than what we have here in the West which for many is a factor in their buying decision.

Neve is building an enhanced reissue of one of the most iconic preamps in history which was made in England with transformers sourced in England so to deviate from that would compromise authenticity and be an issue for many potential customers.
... totally agree ...

... I'm a happy Neve owner ... and I'm proud about West countries quality in many fields ... (by the way, democracy and human rights is one of those)

... my point was just to underline that sometimes we are obsessed by branding ... more than tone ! ... they printed Marinar on those transformers and we are all over-exicited ... while, as a matter of fact, no one know yet how those units sounds ...

... but of course this is part of the busuness here at Gearslutz
Old 3rd March 2015
  #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Talked to AMS-Neve and they say that all transformers are made in England to their specifications. They deny any Chinese involvement.
Great to hear! Did they say who by?
Old 3rd March 2015
  #30
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell View Post
The transformers is made in China after the M* schematics and spec's.... (That's what I heard)
What's your source for this please? As a GS Moderator and a manufacturer you must be all too aware how easy it is for misinformation to develop due to statements like these.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump