The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help with my vocal chain / mic locker Condenser Microphones
Old 21st February 2015
Gear Maniac

Help with my vocal chain / mic locker

Hey there,

I would appreciate your input in kicking up my vocal chain… I believe it requires an addition to my mic-locker, and so I’ll start there… If you disagree, and think I’d be better off with a new pre or something; let me know… What (if anything) do you think I’m missing?

I have achieved some great results between my TLM49 and SM7, but can’t help but wonder if I would benefit from a U47 (looking at the Flea 47, as I can’t afford an original) or a U87 or something.

The music I record is mostly male vocal rock, folk, pop stuff. My stuff in particular is a bastardized mix of the Band meets John Mayer.

Current mic locker:

Neumann TLM49
Neumann TLM103
Neumann KM183
Shure SM7
Sontronics Sigma
Apex 460
Sennheiser 421
SM57
SM58
Beta 58
AKG D112
Audix D6
Subkick

Preamps
LA-610
API 512c
Vintech 573
Dizengoff D4 (en route!)

Other kit that gets inserted from time to time:

EQs:
API 550b
Warm Pulteq’s pre-ordered

Dynamics:
Retro STA Level
Warm WA76
Serpent 4001

........so what do you think? Any suggestions?

Cheers!
Old 21st February 2015
Gear Addict
My brother's style is influenced by John Mayer too. We compared his vocals on a U67, U47 and SM7b through a Heritage 1073 and WA76/Distressor.

For busier arrangements, the U47 had more 'cut' than the SM7b did, whilst still maintaining a full, rich sound. However in sparse arrangements, the SM7b had more body. The U67 didn't have as much body as either of the others, it also seemed to have a more forward mid range - something that didn't really work for his voice.
Old 21st February 2015
It's funny how people around here get some kind of impression that the u47 is some kind of holy grail in all situations. Its a great microphone to be sure but it May not be the optimum mic on all voices on all applications.

Microphones are VERY voice specific. A mic that sounds great on one tenor will sounds pants on another tenor. The only way to find out whether a mic will work on a specific voice is to try it.

If the mic is not for a specific voice and you are open for business the u47 is a great mic but, around here anyway, ours doesn't get nearly as much use as either our Elam 251 or our m49. Ymmv of course.
Old 21st February 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
It's funny how people around here get some kind of impression that the u47 is some kind of holy grail in all situations. Its a great microphone to be sure but it May not be the optimum mic on all voices on all applications.
Fair comment! I think though, as one is building a mic locker, it's hard not to see it as a golden option...in part due to it's price, but also because there's a perceived provenance with who's used it, the recordings its been on etc.. I realize that that's not always true (and that more times than not, as with today, people used what was around / sounded best on the day).

Anyway...I still can't help but feel it's a gap in my line up... That being said, I've made award winning recordings with the mics and pre's I have, so I am fully aware that if I can't make it work with what I already have...that the problem is me... But hey -- this is Gearslutz!!!
Old 21st February 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieneedham View Post
My brother's style is influenced by John Mayer too. We compared his vocals on a U67, U47 and SM7b through a Heritage 1073 and WA76/Distressor.

For busier arrangements, the U47 had more 'cut' than the SM7b did, whilst still maintaining a full, rich sound. However in sparse arrangements, the SM7b had more body. The U67 didn't have as much body as either of the others, it also seemed to have a more forward mid range - something that didn't really work for his voice.
...great perspective. Thank you.

Did you use a real U47, or one of the many knock offs / tributes?
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

The U47 is great mic but like Trev said it works wonders on some sources while being less great on others. I know John Mayer uses the U47 a lot and it definitely works for him.

I like the U47, the Flea 47 too , but there is an upper mid presence peak that really gives the mic it's own signature. Therefore I would highly recommend auditioning one first to see if it is right for you. I often times prefer a U67 as it still has the clarity to cut but also has this huge silky detailed midrange that is a little more neutral high to low. The Elam 251 too which is my favorite vocal mic has a lush open huge sound that is ncredibly smooth but also has a high end shimmer that just sparkles on the right source without a hint of harshness or stidency. A thing of beuaty really.

However when the 47 works it can be something special. It really depends on the source so check out a bunch as Any of the big 5 condensers can be breathtaking with the right source.

Last edited by Palermo; 21st February 2015 at 04:49 PM..
Old 21st February 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
Any of the big 5 condensers can be breathtaking with the right source.
Curiously, which 5 mics make up that list in your view?

Sony
c12
U47

...what else?
Old 21st February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0b0 View Post

Sony
c12
U47

...what else?
M49
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

C12
U47
M49
U67

c800g and U87 can certianly be great mic's but those are the 5 LDCs I usually think of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0b0 View Post

Sony
c12
U47

...what else?
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear
The thing I dig about my Wunder CM7 (U47 clone) is the mid range reedy quality it brings out in my voice, it's just so iconic and familiar, I'm kinda a bit addicted to it - it's so classy.

For me it has a lot to do with the capsule. The edge terminated caps like the C12 etc have a kinda smiley curve, the back to back dual diaphragm design
has an aggressive mid etc.

I only seen to sound good on a M7 style cap - it must come down to physics and resonance etc.

Mics are just so voice specific, if you're hiring to clients you need a very well stocked mic locker!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search