The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help me Choose b/w Lexicon/Eventide? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

Help me Choose b/w Lexicon/Eventide?

Hi all...

Knowing that this topic has been likely been beaten to a pulp...
And knowing that I've searched and Googled this ad nauseum, also...

Would you be willing to chim in to help me decide b/w,

Lexicon PCM 81/91 or Eventide H3000, et al.

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these...

My gut tells me I need it mostly for reverb, which makes me lean toward the 91 or 81... But I hear such cool stuff about the H3000.

I already have a Lexicon LXP 1, that I use for general reverb duties, and I am relatively happy with the results I get... But it is outrageously noisy...to the point where I have to automate the thing out during quiet passages.

So the questions that arise...

Will I likely be happy w. the reverbs on the H3000, by comparison?

I also have a Digitech TRS24 that has a lot of fun stuff on it. Would a good middle ground be a 81/91 paired with the Digitech.

I've heard samples of a 91 & 81, and from the samples, the 81 seems quite a bit darker... I.e., not as transparent and glossy. Might be able to use that vibe. Any thoughts on this would be great.

There's a 91 for sale that looks good for $750.00. Should I go for it?

I know that most of this is based on ones opinion, but I'd value anyone's opinion who may have had direct experiences with any one of these pieces!

Thanks, ok?
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

In case you didn't see it, there's plenty of relevant info in this thread.

Best for Reverb: Eventide 3000 or Lexicon PCM80 / PCM1?

Personally I think everyone should have an H3000, but opinions are divided on the reverb, if that's mainly what you're looking for.
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

If it's for mainly reverb, I think the 91 wins. I had one for years and it was great.
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

Dual FX Card - Pitch FX Card PCM-81 and you'll have Reverb & FX Covered in the one unit with H3000 Type Effects and 224XL (Better description would be PCM-70 type Reverbs) in the one box, print FX, and lay Verb on when required.....! Though as the very wise Owl TheBrightSide has told you - see the debated thread of only a month ago!
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear
I had a PCM81 for many years with the dual FX card. I loved it. I used the reverbs on it mainly on vocals and synths. They were fine. My favourite long reverb was the preset "Deep Space". There was a plate from the PCM70 that was fantastic too. The Halls were quite useable as well. The chorus, delays and flangers were excellent. The PCM80 covered most bases. In fact there are effects on that beast that are only on that beast. I partly exchanged it for a AMS RMX-16, which I later sold to get a Bricasti. I can't comment on the Eventide H3000 as I have never tried one. I have a Lexicon 224 and the PCM80 (reverbs) does that kind of stuff reasonably well.

Greetings from NZ to TheLastByte. He is so knowledgeable about gear and his advice to me has been truly superb. A great person too.

Last edited by waldie wave; 21st February 2015 at 08:57 AM..
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
I had a PCM81 for many years with the dual FX card. I loved it. I used the reverbs on it mainly on vocals and synths. They were fine. My favourite long reverb was the preset "Deep Space". There was a plate from the PCM70 that was fantastic too. The Halls were quite useable as well. The chorus, delays and flangers were excellent. The PCM80 covered most bases. In fact there are effects on that beast that are only on that beast. I partly exchanged it for a AMS RMX-16, which I later sold to get a Bricasti. I can't comment on the Eventide H3000 as I have never tried one. I have a Lexicon 224 and the PCM80 (reverbs) does that kind of stuff reasonably well.

Greetings from NZ to TheLastByte. He is so knowledgeable about gear and his advice to me has been truly superb. A great person too.
All that fantastic gear, and you haven't tried the H3000 yet?
Please make this a priority, I'm sure TheLastByte will concur!
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
All that fantastic gear, and you haven't tried the H3000 yet?
Please make this a priority, I'm sure TheLastByte will concur!
The closest I got was a guy wanted to exchange a H3000 for my TLA C1 compressor but he said the power supply hummed really loudly and there was some noise coming through. I spoke with someone to see if it could be fixed and they were unsure so I did not proceed with the exchange. Surprisingly I had no trouble selling the TLA C1 and used the money to get a really nice compressor. I have a H8000FW. I don't know if that will suffice and make up for me not having a H3000. Perhaps not. The H8000FW sounds really sterile when connected via AES/EBU but it sounds wonderful going into my console via the analogue I/O.

I know someone who has a 480L (which in my opinion just sprinkles magic on tracks, especially vocals) and a PCM90 and he loves both reverbs.

Last edited by waldie wave; 21st February 2015 at 01:27 PM..
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
The closest I got was a guy wanted to exchange a H3000 for my TLA C1 compressor but he said the power supply hummed really loudly and there was some noise coming through. I spoke with someone to see if it could be fixed and they were unsure so I did not proceed with the exchange.
Yes the humming on the H3000 is pretty standard, though there are fixes that have worked for people here. The noise can be a big problem though, so probably good that you passed on that one.
Sound wise, the 3000 and 8000 are poles apart, not much in common at all.

You have a Waldorf Wave still? The guy from Deep Forest has recently been posting in the Electronic forum, and mentioned his favorite combination was his Wave through the H3000. I imagine it would sound amazing.
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear
I still have the Waldorf Wave. I'm now sold on a H3000. I will make that a priority. I will add that to the list of items to exchange for my Dangerous 2 Bus in the classifieds section. $ are a bit short at the moment as I have other priorities.

I advised the guy from Deep Forest about servicing the Wave a while back. He is a very nice guy.

Last edited by waldie wave; 21st February 2015 at 10:30 PM..
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

Years and years ago I remember having a TSR 24, one of the first effects processors I bought on my own. Great marketing literature and manual as I recall awful metalicy sounding reverb. Never could bring myself to use it on vocals

Any of those lexicon units mentioned will be a huge improvement.

80/81 and 90/91 are both great. I remember a real nice preset on the 80 I had, Blue something or other. Anyway, you should be good with either of those units.

The PCM 70 while noisier has a bit more "vibe", more of a 224XL thing going if I recall. Tiled room was a stand out preset from the 70.

At that time I also liked the ensoniq DP4 and found it a very warm vibey reverb sound albeit somewhat grainy though never harsh. Great for trip hop or a vintagey smokey feel as I recall.

Honestly, unless your sitting in front of a 4000 series console or similarly great analog desk, why wouldn't you want to look into software options.

The lexicon PCM native bundle is a great option if your looking for the modern Lexicon sound. It has their flagship algorithms and can be had for less than an 80 or 90.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kelly View Post
Hi all...

Knowing that this topic has been likely been beaten to a pulp...
And knowing that I've searched and Googled this ad nauseum, also...

Would you be willing to chim in to help me decide b/w,

Lexicon PCM 81/91 or Eventide H3000, et al.

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these...

My gut tells me I need it mostly for reverb, which makes me lean toward the 91 or 81... But I hear such cool stuff about the H3000.

I already have a Lexicon LXP 1, that I use for general reverb duties, and I am relatively happy with the results I get... But it is outrageously noisy...to the point where I have to automate the thing out during quiet passages.

So the questions that arise...

Will I likely be happy w. the reverbs on the H3000, by comparison?

I also have a Digitech TRS24 that has a lot of fun stuff on it. Would a good middle ground be a 81/91 paired with the Digitech.

I've heard samples of a 91 & 81, and from the samples, the 81 seems quite a bit darker... I.e., not as transparent and glossy. Might be able to use that vibe. Any thoughts on this would be great.

There's a 91 for sale that looks good for $750.00. Should I go for it?

I know that most of this is based on ones opinion, but I'd value anyone's opinion who may have had direct experiences with any one of these pieces!

Thanks, ok?
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I still have the Waldorf Wave. I'm now sold on a H3000. I will make that a priority. I will add that to the list of items to exchange for my Dangerous 2 Bus in the classifieds section. $ are a bit short at the moment as I have other priorities.

I advised the guy from Deep Forest about servicing the Wave a while back. He is a very nice guy.
Cool!!
Apologies for coming across as a salesman, I'm sure you didn't come to this thread to get talked into buying something.
But the H3000 is pretty special, hard to beat on synth's and guitars.
It has a mojo that's missing from later model harmonizer's, though they still sound awesome in a more Hifi kind of way.
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

why does one need to choose? - I use them all TC/Lex/Eventide it's all good
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

anyone know of a working method for killing that noise from the h3000? i believe it comes from either the fan or the transformer and something being oversized. it's weird, for like the last year it was pretty good, recently after a few hours of being turned on it starts on and off. turning it on and off seems to make it go away, but either way the inconsistency is annoying, and if there is a good solution then I'm all ears.

ps - sorry for going off topic here.

to contribute to the actual thread I will say I have lexicon 224x, 70, 91 and also eventide h3000 and eclipse. the eventide stuff has cool effect-ish reverb that is more of a artistic thing but for the most conventional uses lexicon still wins IMO such as lead vocals, drums, etc.

- there are some killer reverbs in the h3000 and also on the eclipse as well. the northwest hall is an amazing reverb on the h3000, i don't know why, i love it on clean guitars, and even sometimes stringed stuff in more abstract music like plucked strings, cellos, etc.

- the eclipse has amazingly wide and deep and rolling lush reverbs which sound great for clean guitars, brass, saxophones, things like that.

- the 224x is my true love of all reverbs (I own a bricasti as well and it is "the best" but the 224x is like the underdog favorite if that makes sense) is has the sound of my favorite era of verb and has that bladerunner thing going on which I love. It sounds huge, rich, and beyond 3d, it's like 5d. simply amazing. I never found it too grainy even for modern stuff short of very minimalist mixes where the reverb needs to be a lot and clean. that's where the bricasti comes in. they work really good together IMO.

- the pcm70 I bought a second one because it is amazing. the delays sound amazing for rock lead guitars, the halls and the plates are cool also, and of course the cliche tiled room which i always have on most tracks on one unit and then the other one will be delays or another verb.

- the 91 is weird. I got is before I had a bricasti and 224x and it was like my "high end" lead verb and it is cool. but it is not a main superstar verb IMO then again I am comparing it with bricasti and 224x... it's more of a special effect reverb. it's kind of dark and panoramic sounding, like not very "Tall" more wide and deep if that makes sense. for some reason, of all the other verbs I have, all the presets have the most similarity of character. the huge stuff is where it sounds cool and it has some like dual things happening which sound cool in the split programs. that's where I use it most for super long and crazy effects if I need.
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Also off topic... although it's MY thread!...

I took some of the advice on here and downloaded the Lex PCM bundle. I run W7 64, and PT 10.3.9. I followed all protocol fairly completely, including the ilok licensing.

The plugs aren't showing up in my plugs folder. Anyone else have a similar problem, or have any insight as to the difficulty?

Thanks!
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
Cool!!
Apologies for coming across as a salesman, I'm sure you didn't come to this thread to get talked into buying something.
But the H3000 is pretty special, hard to beat on synth's and guitars.
It has a mojo that's missing from later model harmonizer's, though they still sound awesome in a more Hifi kind of way.
That's OK. No need to apologise. I had been contemplating getting a H3000/3500 at some stage. Out of the various models, which one do you recommend?
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's OK. No need to apologise. I had been contemplating getting a H3000/3500 at some stage. Out of the various models, which one do you recommend?
Ideally it's best to go for a later model, D/SE, D/SX or 3500.
They all sound the same, but newer ones will probably be more reliable (less hours on it, etc) and the later models importantly have more algorithms and presets. Though any model 3000 can be fully upgraded with an eprom swap, at around $100.
The 3500 has the sampling board for basic sampling and editing, but also uses it's extra ram towards super long delays on some presets (around 30 seconds in stereo)
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramism View Post
anyone know of a working method for killing that noise from the h3000? i believe it comes from either the fan or the transformer and something being oversized. it's weird, for like the last year it was pretty good, recently after a few hours of being turned on it starts on and off. turning it on and off seems to make it go away, but either way the inconsistency is annoying, and if there is a good solution then I'm all ears.
Call Eventide their service is amazing. I got one of my H3000's services last year 1 channel died - they fixed it up 100%
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
Call Eventide their service is amazing. I got one of my H3000's services last year 1 channel died - they fixed it up 100%
Wow they still service this stuff? Ok cool I'll give them a call maybe tomorrow see what's up thanks!
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramism View Post
Wow they still service this stuff? Ok cool I'll give them a call maybe tomorrow see what's up thanks!
Yes they still do repairs for a flat fee of $300, regardless of the problem.
As for the transformer noise, do a search here first, as people have come up with their own fixes that often work.
For countries that run 220V, one trick to eliminate the hum is to use a step down transformer and run it at 110V, though this isn't much help in your case.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search