The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
S6 - $79 K - Really? Control Surfaces
Old 22nd February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Karloff View Post
Amiel your argument is rooted in your lack of uderstanding of the workflow needs others have.
well my lack of understanding your needs is also your lack of understanding my needs...

and I think i am free to express my opinion...
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
You are talking about some aspect of the DAW, I am talking about how a DAW give you an open platform to enhance your worlflow via controllers, external Software, OSC, etc.....
But that's irrelevant. The thread is about a specific controller, and it runs the Eucon protocol. It's primarily aimed at specific users using a Eucon-enabled DAW, which in turn probably means Nuendo and Pro Tools mainly. Talking about Reaper to prove that a high-end controller NOT aimed at Reaper is somehow overpriced doesn't make sense.

And the functionality I mentioned is essential in the workflows of those who have the budget to buy these controllers which is again why your argument doesn't work.

Quote:
and talking about controller, actually I do not think simple important aspects as controlling plug in are so straight forward in S3 as could be....actually many users that tried both still prefer a D Command in that aspect.
But the s3 was originally the s3L, designed for live use. If you want to figure out if that's a well designed controller then you see what people using Avid's live setups think about it. I have no idea, but I can imagine that it works quite well for those implementations. Once that controller was created (for live) it was probably easy enough to tweak it and market it for the studio. But don't confuse it for having been designed for studio use, and thus also take that into account when "criticizing" it.

Quote:
I am talking about controllers that is the subject of the thread and you are being more focus in Pro Tools Software.
I am a Pro Tools user too, and I now as many that in the area of controlling plug ins can be more straight forward.
I keep telling you that there's way more to using an s6 than controlling plugins. You keep not accepting that.

And if you want to discuss the point of the thread I'd add that arguing that Reaper and a 300 controller is a valid substitute for s6 - in the "High End" section of the forum seems a bit "off".
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
well my lack of understanding your needs is also your lack of understanding my needs...
But nobody is saying you need the s6 or that it would be worth it for you to buy it.

You on the other hand are saying it's not worth it for other people. That's the difference.
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
I have another and we downsized - had one of the UKs best mix rooms and a world class live room..... Industry is in decline y'know
Or is it more of the fact that the recording studio has just shifted from actual retail places (warehouse lots) to producers homes .A dispersion of where music is being recorded . Mind you most bands are so cheap and the buddy that will do a song for 100 bucks using pre made drum samples and pre made Axe FX/Kemper patches gets them up and running and sounding decent . So all they need to do is compress their vocals and level out the mix
Old 23rd February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
But that's irrelevant. The thread is about a specific controller, and it runs the Eucon protocol. It's primarily aimed at specific users using a Eucon-enabled DAW, which in turn probably means Nuendo and Pro Tools mainly. Talking about Reaper to prove that a high-end controller NOT aimed at Reaper is somehow overpriced doesn't make sense.

And the functionality I mentioned is essential in the workflows of those who have the budget to buy these controllers which is again why your argument doesn't work.

But the s3 was originally the s3L, designed for live use. If you want to figure out if that's a well designed controller then you see what people using Avid's live setups think about it. I have no idea, but I can imagine that it works quite well for those implementations. Once that controller was created (for live) it was probably easy enough to tweak it and market it for the studio. But don't confuse it for having been designed for studio use, and thus also take that into account when "criticizing" it.

I keep telling you that there's way more to using an s6 than controlling plugins. You keep not accepting that.

And if you want to discuss the point of the thread I'd add that arguing that Reaper and a 300 controller is a valid substitute for s6 - in the "High End" section of the forum seems a bit "off".
ok, this is my point, and if you want to pass over this subject..there is not point in this conversation to me.

For me as a PT user with particular needs as many others, where can I find a very straight forward Plug in controller in Pro Tools land?? I checked many of the videos showing that aspect and had an S3 in front of me once , and to be honest I was not impressed in that area, yes I saw other uses where S3/S6 performs excells,but to me in that area of controlling plug ins, that for mixing is very crucial to me i still not tottally happy... i understand that are so many other things that S3/S6 that can be great...but for my particular needs that I am sure are also many other Pro Tools users that are looking for a great straight forward plug in controller... I do not see anything so great yet.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
But nobody is saying you need the s6 or that it would be worth it for you to buy it.

You on the other hand are saying it's not worth it for other people. That's the difference.
where did i suggest or say that? i am talking on my behalf... if others love it that is cool fpr them....that is the nature of gear, some love them some don't

Last edited by AMIEL; 23rd February 2015 at 12:20 AM..
Old 23rd February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
Or is it more of the fact that the recording studio has just shifted from actual retail places (warehouse lots) to producers homes .A dispersion of where music is being recorded . Mind you most bands are so cheap and the buddy that will do a song for 100 bucks using pre made drum samples and pre made Axe FX/Kemper patches gets them up and running and sounding decent . So all they need to do is compress their vocals and level out the mix
True.... But this is s small sector of recording. VO alone accounts for more than 50% of professional recirding. Pop music is famous but a tiny part of this world..... And one I left in the 90s!!
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
True.... But this is s small sector of recording. VO alone accounts for more than 50% of professional recirding. Pop music is famous but a tiny part of this world..... And one I left in the 90s!!
It's the same sort of deal with live audio ... rock and roll / touring is the lucritive side of it, but corporate gigs pay majority of the bills.
Old 23rd February 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
I have another and we downsized - had one of the UKs best mix rooms and a world class live room..... Industry is in decline y'know
Didn't you have a Duality there at some point? Did you replace it with the Icon?
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear
I've done a few sessions with a mix engineer who has a D-Command setup. I asked him how he found it and he said it was great and that he used it all the time. As far as I can remember though, the only time I actually saw him touch it was when he switched it to 'Vegas mode' to show off all the flashing lights. Haha.
Old 23rd February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Didn't you have a Duality there at some point? Did you replace it with the Icon?
The Duality went years ago. Replaced by a Neve years ago then sold and replaced with ICON.

The even worse news is THAT studio closed in July 2014. Shut down by the leaseholder ****ing up!!
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

and I think i am free to express my opinion...
sure everyone's free to have an opinion in something but having an opinion backed on total ignorance on a product you obviously have never used is a totally different thing.
Just because you don't think it's a good fit for does not make it so.
Avid is selling a lot of these right now so it seems that the market forces are proving you wrong.
and as further note this is a high end forum so taking a $300.00 controller is irrelevant on this forum.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search