The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
U67 > 1073 > LA2A too colored on vocals?
Old 19th February 2015
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
prog's Avatar
 

U67 > 1073 > LA2A too colored on vocals?

Hi

This is my second or third time using this chain so I'm asking the more experienced ones for opinion.

Yesterday I was recording a vocalist with a fairly low-midrange colored voice and the vocals ended up sounding a bit too colored, bordering on "saturated". Like it was adding a lot of harmonics in the mids mostly. The problem? was a lot more apparent when stacking doubles. The sound suited the song and the artist was really happy with the sound, but I hated not knowing what was exactly going on.

I double checked my gain staging and technically I wasn't clipping anything, nor meters nor the waveform came out clipped.
I didn't hear this the last time I used a U67/1073 combo in that same studio, but it was with another singer and I think I used a Tubetech CL1B that time instead of the LA2A. Probably the different singer's voice played a big role too.

Is this common or do you think I was pushing some gain stage too hard? Am I going paranoid over nothing? Should I look for a job at the local pizza joint?

I'll see if I can post any samples but probably not since it's for a big label.

Thanks!

Last edited by prog; 19th February 2015 at 01:55 PM..
Old 19th February 2015
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Seamus TM's Avatar
 

Was it the same singer the last time?
Maybe it's just not the right chain for that singer.
Old 19th February 2015
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
prog's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus TM View Post
Was it the same singer the last time?
Maybe it's just not the right chain for that singer.
No, sorry I missed that in my previous post. It was a different singer with a thinner voice.

Would you change the whole chain or something in particular? I guess it's difficult to say without hearing first

Thanks for the reply.
Old 19th February 2015
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Spede's Avatar
 

The vocal chain you described would be my ideal vocal chain for almost anything (perhaps 1073 as a jazz vocal preamp might be bit too much).

It might sound saturated while solo'ed but it'll only end up sounding juicy among the mix once you throw everything else around it.
Old 19th February 2015
  #5
Gear Addict
 

Could very well be the gain staging of you mic pre. The more crank the "Gain" on the 1073 the more of that Neve'ish saturation you'll get. Back off on the gain and make up the level difference on the out put (if it has it) or you can makeup level on the LA2A as well.
Old 19th February 2015
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Replace the comp with a 1176 and you have one of my fav voc chains.
Old 19th February 2015
  #7
Here for the gear
This question is kinda like "is blue a bad color for a dress?" Who is wearing it? Trust your ears. If you don't like the sound you're hearing switch things out till you do. But there's nothing objectively wrong OR right about that chain for vocals.
Old 19th February 2015
  #8
Lives for gear
 
rhythmtech's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prog View Post
Hi

This is my second or third time using this chain so I'm asking the more experienced ones for opinion.

Yesterday I was recording a vocalist with a fairly low-midrange colored voice and the vocals ended up sounding a bit too colored, bordering on "saturated". Like it was adding a lot of harmonics in the mids mostly. The problem? was a lot more apparent when stacking doubles. The sound suited the song and the artist was really happy with the sound, but I hated not knowing what was exactly going on.

I double checked my gain staging and technically I wasn't clipping anything, nor meters nor the waveform came out clipped.
I didn't hear this the last time I used a U67/1073 combo in that same studio, but it was with another singer and I think I used a Tubetech CL1B that time instead of the LA2A. Probably the different singer's voice played a big role too.

Is this common or do you think I was pushing some gain stage too hard? Am I going paranoid over nothing? Should I look for a job at the local pizza joint?

I'll see if I can post any samples but probably not since it's for a big label.

Thanks!
its not the most coloured chain in the world but will definitely become more apparent when stacking. swapping the la2a for the cl1b would open up the top end a touch more, i suspect.

i recently used a similiar chain but with a 610 in place of the 1073. that was quite coloured but suited the source.
Old 20th February 2015
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
prog's Avatar
 

Thanks for all the replies!

I know in audio and music there's nothing written in stone and that every context is different, I just wanted to know if this was expected behavior of this particular chain (or some of its components, my prime suspect was the LA2A), specially since I don't have that much time to go about trying things while the artist waits. Next session I'm gonna try backing off a bit on the Neve and getting more level out of the LA2A, or maybe swap it for the CL1B.

Thanks!
Old 20th February 2015
  #10
Lives for gear
 

I use that same chain often and never feel it's too colored. The midrange on that mic is so clear and dimesnional but silky too. Ideal for capturing vocals without haze or stridency.

There are some voices that may do better micd with a 47 or a 251 but the 67 into a 1073 into the La2a is usually absolutely gorgeous.


Quote:
Originally Posted by prog View Post
Hi

This is my second or third time using this chain so I'm asking the more experienced ones for opinion.

Yesterday I was recording a vocalist with a fairly low-midrange colored voice and the vocals ended up sounding a bit too colored, bordering on "saturated". Like it was adding a lot of harmonics in the mids mostly. The problem? was a lot more apparent when stacking doubles. The sound suited the song and the artist was really happy with the sound, but I hated not knowing what was exactly going on.

I double checked my gain staging and technically I wasn't clipping anything, nor meters nor the waveform came out clipped.
I didn't hear this the last time I used a U67/1073 combo in that same studio, but it was with another singer and I think I used a Tubetech CL1B that time instead of the LA2A. Probably the different singer's voice played a big role too.

Is this common or do you think I was pushing some gain stage too hard? Am I going paranoid over nothing? Should I look for a job at the local pizza joint?

I'll see if I can post any samples but probably not since it's for a big label.

Thanks!
Old 20th February 2015
  #11
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prog View Post
Next session I'm gonna try backing off a bit on the Neve and getting more level out of the LA2A.
I'll be curious to see if this is the "Color" you were hearing. If the 1073 has both "Gain" and "output" (fader) settings you can make the adjustments there (ie turn the gain down and output up) and avoid possible noise issues with cranking up your LA2A.
Old 20th February 2015
  #12
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
try the CL1B or an 1176.
Old 21st February 2015
  #13
Lives for gear
 

I would always change the Gear for a New Vocalist, always.....leaving the same set up for male/female and thick thin, growl, or smoke and whisky to shiny and bright or boxy always means a gear change! You can always add.....you can "Never"..... take away from a perfect vocal capture, and save for use w/Eq and other tricks like Multing etc.. your stuck with it!
Old 21st February 2015
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Matt Wright is Right. The 67 is not the best mic for every singer. switch that out first. I often use your same setup and when it works it's awesome, but sometimes you want a 47, or a 44, or a 58. I am much more likely to track with an LA2 rather than an 1176, and I've never found the LA2 to darken the sound. Experiment.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump