The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audient ASP 8024; upgrade needed?
Old 18th February 2015
Here for the gear

Audient ASP 8024; upgrade needed?

Hi Guys!

Another newbie.. However, I'm familiar with the forum (it's really interesting to see all your opinions before I buy new gear).

So, I have a few questions for you guys.

At this moment I'm using a 24 channel ASP 8024 from Audient. It's actually the only console I've used and I'm curious how it compares to other high(er)end consoles like API/Neve/SSL. Since a few years I did add some outboard (a few examples below)

Since I do a lot of outboard compression (and eq-ing), automation in the box is a bit of a problem, so I was thinking of buying an SSL Sigma, or a Sum.mation to solve this problem. But before I invest in something like this I would like to know more about the quality of the console I have. I see that there are a lot of opinions about the Audient; is it as good as an SSL, or not? If not, why not? Crosstalk, headroom, sound? I know the Audient is clean and for me it's no problem to add more outboard gear for colour, but the main question is, am I missing something? Is it really high-end, or not?

I would really like to hear your opinions! Thank you in advance :-) .

Some examples of my outboard
- API 550A's and B's
- API 2500
- API +4312
- Tubetech SMC2B
- Rupert Neve 5043
- Manley ELOP
- Tonelux TLXC's
- Universal Audio 2-610 & 2-1176
- Vintage Design C1
- TK audio mic pre
- Lexicon PCM90 & MPX100
- Focusrite ISA 430
- Millennia pre's
Old 19th February 2015
Gear Addict

I've worked a bunch on an SSL Duality, and we recently sold our API 1608 that I worked a bunch on.
The times I have worked with an audient console, I always had the feeling I was missing some character (pure from the console)

Audient makes great consoles though, don't get me wrong. But They are not in the same playing field as for example an SSL or API when it comes to adding character.
As you said yourself, you can always add color from your outboard, so I would only consider swapping the desk for something else if I really really needed it.
That said, adding a sigma or summation to your system for some extra summing surely would not hurt ;-)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search